The Microsoft Xbox One Thread!

Reaction score
They are keeping thousands upon thousands of potential customers in the dark

Not a good start. If they announce their charge scheme for pre-owned game is a go ahead Sony will announce they won't be changing for pre-owned games to counteract MS decision

PS4 sales will rocket and XB1 will flop imo

Again MS being greedy, trying to take monopoly stripping high street stores from their profits.

I dont need an all-in-one

I have a Server rack full of hard drives and they are all networked to my Popcorn which in turn can show Live streams. If not I can use my TV with its built in free view connected to my satellite dish outside in glorious HD anyway
Why spend another £400??? on something I already own albeit not in one box

Nah i'll wait 3years...Or till its been reversed

MS have had enough of my money these past 2years

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just been e-mailed from Microsoft about Xbox One, it's very definitely being pushed as an all-in-one multimedia centre.

This may suit some people but not me, I'm already set up quite fine, I don't want to be dependent on a games console for all my multimedia requirements. Personally, I'd like a games console to be a games console and just that though I must admit the console having Bluray playback appeals.

And no built-in Freeview tuner, as V_R predicted, just a connect facility to an external source, this from the email blurb I received:

The new way to watch TV.

Connect your cable or satellite box to Xbox One and watch all your favorite television
shows right through the console.(1) All your favorite channels. All your favorite shows.
All with the sound of your voice. You can even create your own personal channel
by pinning the shows and apps you watch most. Gone are the days of switching
inputs to watch TV or play a movie. Xbox One can do it all.

1. Supported television tuner or cable/satellite set top box with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Dunno much about xbox one or console gaming for that matter, but a friend posted this link to me and thought you could make something of it

Link

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Dunno much about xbox one or console gaming for that matter, but a friend posted this link to me and thought you could make something of it

Link

All contents in that link pretty much confirmed aren't they?

More I think about it, I already have all the facilities offered by the Xbox One except to be able to play Xbox One games. Which is not really a biggie for me. Oh, and I don't have a Kinect console but as I mentioned earlier they're plentiful at £40 a throw should I want one.

I think I'll pass on Xbox One, hang on to my my Xbox 360 and perhaps with the money I would have spent on the new Microsoft console buy me a much better Graphics Card for PC Games. Now that makes sense.

I'll also be casting a keen eye on the PS4 to see what that has to offer.

I also wonder whether publishers will still make games for the Xbox 360 when the Xbox One is released. Even if not there will likely be a huge second hand market with used games at competitive prices but it's probably fair to say that eventually the current Xbox 360 will have the same status as the original Xbox has now.

Mind made up then, I'll pass.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep I can watch TV on my TV funny enough!

This looks like just another arm twister to help remove the wallet from your pocket..Tut tut Microsoft.:rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features

TB offers one man's interpretation of "The Rules" governing how one is allowed to play your games on the XBox One

Viewer discretion required if you read some of the 'comments' to this VLoG :)

Source

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Mucks, at last we have some facts.

You need Broadband for it to function (and not everybody has Broadband).
Internet checkup on your console every 24 hours. If it doesn't connect, you're disabled from playing games.
Playing on your acount on a friends' machine Microsoft will make the same check every hour.
All this checking is of course very server-intensive so basically any Xbox One owner is reliant on Microsoft's servers to play games.
As we've seen with EA/Origin, it's relatively common for the servers of big games concerns to fail.
You can trade games only at specified retailers and even then the ability to trade will be at the discretion of the game's publisher. No guessing where EA will stand on that one eh?
The Kinect needs to be connected and switched on for the console to function (don't break it whatever you do) but can be turned off when the machine isn't in use.
Once you have purchased a game and installed it you will always be able to access a digital copy of that game from Microsoft. This is a nod towards how Steam operate and from my personal point of view is about the only good thing I've seen so far.
It will play Bluray disks; it will interface with a Skybox/Freeview box or similar; it is not backwards-compatible with XBox 360 games.

And that, I think, is the main points covered.

No mention of a price yet, no inkling of what Sony's PS4 will feature.

For me, I'll pass, definitely not for me.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You forgot that when you switch it of it will still listen out for the voice command to turn it back on again :confused:

An while it is turned on it will accept voice commands but will not listen in to conversations :confused:

It probably, and this is unconfirmed, will have a direct always on no matter what you do link to PRISM. :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/07/xbox_one_internet_required_after_all/

What's more, as Redmond notes, even though the console itself doesn't need to be online all the time, some games may not work unless it is.

The main downside, on the other hand, is that this cloud-connected system gives Microsoft and its game-publisher partners ultimate control over when, where, how, and to whom you can sell or trade your used games, even if you bought them on physical disc, as Microsoft explains in a separate blog post.

On the positive side, Microsoft says gamers will have complete control over when and how the built-in Kinect sensor in the Xbox One operates, collects, and shares data. "When Xbox One is on and you're simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded," Redmond thoughtfully explains.

Roll up roll up buy an expensive pig in a poke. Roll up roll up win a Sucker of the Decade award (you need to pay mega bucks for postage), Roll up roll up sell your soul for peanuts. Roll up roll up sheep welcome. Roll up Roll up. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The 2nd quote from above:

The main downside, on the other hand, is that this cloud-connected system gives Microsoft and its game-publisher partners ultimate control over when, where, how, and to whom you can sell or trade your used games, even if you bought them on physical disc, as Microsoft explains in a separate blog post.

I'm not rushing to Microsoft's defence here but that's exactly how it is with Steam. In fact I'm not sure if Steam even allow you to trade regular games, if you can I've certainly never been able to figure out how. I'd love to do that with Steam, I'm carrying a lot of deadwood.

This is the way gaming has been moving steadily over the last six years or so now, the time will likely soon come when there are no physical disks required, Microsoft are just catching up with what's going down.

The only reason I buy a physical disk now is if it's cheaper than the digital download, the damn things take up space :lol:

However, I'm suitably unimpressed by the Xbox One not to be pre-ordering ;)

And we stil have no idea of the cost, perhaps we should start a book. I'll open the odds by saying it'll cost a Monkey ;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
£349.99 :D priced quite nicely to fleece all the sheep out there..No pun intended..:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, £349.99. But that's just for the basic console. The gamepads and hard disk will be sold seperately as 'DLC' of course and cost you another £199.99.

This is, of course, a scurrilous rumour put about by moi.

Or is it?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
source ?
is the connect thingie extra, as is needed, or included?
:user:
Mr Mucks what are we going to do with you..:D

Flopp's said he's going to run a book on how much it will cost and my bid is what I posted earlier, so the source is a la the Crazylegged ones brain..:lol: Well what there is of it! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mr Mucks what are we going to do with you..:D

Flopp's said he's going to run a book on how much it will cost and my bid is what I posted earlier, so the source is a la the Crazylegged ones brain..:lol: Well what there is of it! :D

oh ... :blush:

Ask a Question