The Microsoft Xbox One Thread!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
JlCHErX.jpg

After months of speculation, Microsoft finally revealed its next-generation console today: the Xbox One.
Microsoft called the system an "all in one system" for games, entertainment, and television.
The system includes 8GB of RAM, an 8-Core CPU, a 500GB hard drive, a Blu-ray drive, HDMI in and out ports, USB 3.0, 802.11n wireless, and more. It also includes a new version of the Kinect sensor. The Xbox One will not require an always-on internet connection.
Read more at IGN

So, First impressions? I think it looks good, glad they haven't faffed with the controller too much too. :)

More to come at E3 later in the year.

Reaction score
"UPDATE: Another Microsoft representative, UK marketing director Harvey Eagle, has confirmed that the Xbox One doesn't require a constant internet connection. "The answer to that question is no. You do not require an always-on connection to be able to use Xbox One," he said. "It is clearly designed to be connected to the Internet, and hopefully from what you've just seen you realize some of the benefits that brings. "But if your Internet connection drops, you will still be able to play games, still be able to watch Blu-Ray movies, and still be able to watch live TV."

How if you internet connection drops, can you watch live TV???

Oh my lord

To add although many were expecting it no 'Backward compatibility" will not help their sales. Hopefully some genius coder, or software house will develop an emulator.
That would make sense

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It may have a freeview tuner built in which will need the usual terrestrial aerial connection. In fact that's probably it because as far as I know all internet live TV needs a subscription fee, only previously broadcast programs are available to watch online for free.

And that's the part I don't like about it really, if my daughter stops living here I'm going to stop paying the TV aerial licence fee and get rid of all TV tuners to justify it. If the new Xbox has an active TV tuner in it that could create problems for me.

Other than that I think it looks very good indeed. Had to chuckle they've incorporated a Bluray playback facility, they finally stopped sulking about their Super DVD format losing out to Bluray and realised rejecting an accepted format was costing them money.

All in all, I'll probably upgrade from my current model, latest 250Gb version, when it's released. I also like the fact it has a built in Kinect device. Depending, of course, on price.

Final thought: Existing Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Kinect games - compatible? I'd guess probably (Haven't read V_R's linked article yet).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Microsoft confirms 'pre-owned fee' for Xbox One

Mandatory game installation required for all games; second install on separate Live account sits behind paywall
Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.
More:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

Hmm. So that renders my entire Xbox 360 catalogue invalid.

I have 33 titles atm plus about six games on the hard disk. All of these will only be playable on the Xbox360. I don't have a Kinect console.

The Sony PS4, apparently, will be able to use a device making pS3 games compatible. One up to Sony methinks.

Must admit I don't play the Xbox that much lately so maybe not the end of the world. Last game I bought, used, for £16 was Halo 4.

I won't discount or confirm going for the new console but I will await developments with interest.

This much is certain, there are going to be some bargains to be had if you're in the market for any existing latest model Xbox 360's.

Reaction score
Another point that has really, really annoyed me is the fact they include a 500gb HDD

Blue ray disks are minimum of 25GB going too 50GB. Looking at the quality of the accompanying video for the games they are going to be pretty much full

So how the hell is 500GB going to be enough? What happens when your drive is full?
Deleting the game you have installed previously to install another could be problematic if you decide at a later date to go back too the former! Will it limit you like the 360 to 16GB at a time for extra storage devices. Will you be charged again for wanting to play a game by all rights you have already paid for from new?

Lots and lots of questions they haven't even answered

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Eh? Not following you there TXD. Slap a Bluray disk in the drive for playback and it doesn't need any hard disk space, any cache during playback woould be handled by the 8Gb onboard memory.

And any Bluray disk ripped to mkv rarely totals more than 4Gb so plenty of scope there for storage as well as savegames and the like. USB 3 was also mentioned so possibly scope for external storage.

Reaction score
The games apparently have to be stored on the hard drive to play if i remember reading correctly. No on the fly gaming from disc

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The games apparently have to be stored on the hard drive to play if i remember reading correctly. No on the fly gaming from disc

I don't know, but let's say they do.

Most games disks have around 4Gb data and many games when installed will expand to more than this.

So let's say, being generous, without other content on the disk, around 60-70 games can be installed.

Not enough space. My Steam folder is almost a terrabyte.

Which is why I can't see that happening.

EDIT: If it is true, maybe MS envisage hard drive upgrades as akin to 'DLC' with huge profits waiting to be made from supplying and fitting new hard drives through a network of dealers.

This is the way they're all going after all, sell the product but with traps within to squeeze more cash from the gullible punter.

We shall see. Watch this space.

Reaction score
I Agree, maybe the 500gb is the starter system. Maybe they will do bigger drives for bigger prices like the 360...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The original 360 had a 20gb drive, it will some be available with a 1tb and up drive I'd bet. ;)

Be it replacements or a new system ala the Elite/slim.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
500Gb = wrong move, despite external storage facility.

1Tb would have been better but I suppose they're weighing up costing/marketing.

Reaction score
I'm really not impressed with this the more I read about it

I really think that MS have made a mistake and not thought about its design enough
Someone commented about this being a 5 years machine, I think they might be right, maybe less in all honesty

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I dunno, I'm mildly interested.

Pros:

Improved architecture (8Gb memory, 8 core CPU)
Built in Kinect
Bluray playback
Not dependent on online connection to play games (presumably after installation, anyway)

Cons:

500Gb disk too small
Incompatible with Xbox 360 games
(For me only) Possible built in Freeview tuner
And probably the price

Biggest con of all is the old games incompatibility imo

Lemme see, I have latest 250Gb as new Xbox 360 console, pair of wireless gamepads and two Venom battery packs plus around 40 games in total on disk and on console hard disk. I have a small basic Bluray player connected to TV's HDMI 3 socket and my media machine has lots of mkv files.

I can pick up a Kinect box for £40 or less second hand should I want one.

It is gonna have to be something really special to make me change, and at a reasonable price.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well to start if you have 360 games they will not work on the Xbox One, so that would be considered "something wrong" by many people that have spent a nice chunk of change on their existing game collections.

Microsoft’s Xbox Live Vice President Marc Whitten has told The Verge that the new Xbox One will not be backwards compatible with previous versions of the console, which means no Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One.

Technologically speaking, it's not wholly a surprise that backwards compatibility is off the table. Today, the company confirmed months of rumors that the new Xbox would use an x86 CPU. Games designed for the Xbox 360's Xenon processor
lb_icon1.png
simply won't run natively on the new hardware, since the Xenon used a PowerPC architecture instead. Of course, Sony's PlayStation 4 has the same problem: Sony also chose to move to x86 from PowerPC, and the PS4 also won't directly support PS3 games.

Source

Ask a Question