The next Xbox: Always online, no second hand games

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Still a rumor but if it turns out to be true, I don't think they're going to sell very many if folks know about their restrictions ahead of purchase. Seems to me that not being able to run a rented or used game would be a big drawback.

"Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user."

Article is at The Edge

My thanks to Alakazam at BBF for drawing my attention to the above.

My reaction?

Been thinking about getting shot of my Xbox 360, hardly ever use it now tbh and much prefer playing games on PC.

If the above is true I guess I best act quickly as I currently have 37 games on disk and around 8 downloaded games on the 250Gb Xbox internal disk.

Suppose I'd have to (illegally, probably) let my profile go with the sale so new owner can play downloaded games. After a change of email to new owner. Of course :) Oh, and I've tried a Kinnect unit, didn't like that very much so haven't got one.

Would I replace it with a Playstation? Nope, I think I hate Sony marginally more than Microsoft. I don't like Wii's, either of 'em, so I guess that leaves the Nintendo hand held thingie ;)

Or PC games on the big telly, much the same experience as the Xbox 360, really.

Made me laugh reading Microsoft will now embrace Bluray, I bet there were a few pouts and tantrums at Redmond when that decision was made, lol, I wonder whether Windows Media player and Centre will now change to be able to play Bluray disks?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of limiting re-sale either - and would certainly make me think twice about getting a next generation console. As you say, it's only a rumour so hopefully it will turn out to be false.

Many people buy quite a few games because they trade them back in once there's a new release - so the total expenditure isn't as bad. If they stopped this from happening, the cost of games must surely come down to match PC pricing (which in reality, is often re-sale limited).

I guess we don't have to wait too long to find out....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on all the 720/PS4 rumours and its all still very much guess work imo.

But i'd be surprised if MS go down that route. Look at what happened when Ubisoft tried a DRM system of similar constrains... Also, PSN was down for months when it was hacked, if the same ever happened to MS......?

Reaction score
They will have the Die hard fans buying them.

As for Joe bloggs who can't afford games all the time or the single parents, well they are shooting themselves in the foot. There is a few hundred thousand at least that wont be purchasing their new console..

I also will not be purchasing one.. Forcing me to buy a game at a premium price that cannot be passed on. Cya MS I'll stick to my current 360 and XBOX, PSP, Wii and PC

Good luck with that

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

A little more info on the OUYA that mucks mentioned. That is the project that asked for$950,000 and raised $8.596,474.

There is also the

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

MS's Next Xbox may be of interest to rich kids and sheep but I seriously doubt ordinary folk will be tempted.
breakfast.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice find Mucks :thumb:

As I'm a sucker for new and cheap (see my Pi experience :rolleyes: ) I'll certainly get me one of those when they're available.

Independent and Android based, luvvit.

What with the OUYA and Steam's foray into Linux, Microsoft and others will be wondering how the lunatics came to take over the asylum. I hope.

We shall see what occurs, as they say.

Ask a Question