Windows XP super slow login

Reaction score
on my parents computer whenever you logon to anyones account it takes 1-2 minutes for it to completely login then it takes about 1 min for all the seting to load...i tryed msconfig and it didnt work...there arnt any viruses and i cleared it of spyware using microsofts spyware thing and it still takes forever to log in... once logged in the computer runs relitivly smooth...loging in just takes for ever...anyone know any thing to speed it up.

Reaction score
my comp was like that last week, it was taking 3 mins to get to welcome screen! So i spent nearly a whole day cleaning up. First i ran a few diagnostic tools and found my hard drive had quite a few errors, which i tried to get rid of. Then used all the system tools you get with norton systemworks, all the programs for decluttering the hard drive and stuff both with windows and norton, and then defragged over, and over, and over with the defrag you get with norton, then did the windows defrag a couple of times. I Then ran 2 virus checks and wiped one of the user accounts off the computer. Then i ran diagnostics and found a few minor errors leftover in the hard drive which were soon dealt with.

Its running faster now :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
ablizno said:
on my parents computer whenever you logon to anyones account it takes 1-2 minutes for it to completely login then it takes about 1 min for all the seting to load...i tryed msconfig and it didnt work...there arnt any viruses and i cleared it of spyware using microsofts spyware thing and it still takes forever to log in... once logged in the computer runs relitivly smooth...loging in just takes for ever...anyone know any thing to speed it up.

As well as defraging and making sure you remove startup software that isn't neccesary, there are a few other things you can do-

1. Download Microsoft Bootvis. You should be able to find this on the offical MS website. It is a utility that can be used to record your login activity, and then report some information back to you. This can then be used like a sort of smart defrag tool that specifically targets your launch stuff - So it will, for instance, move Nortan Antivirus to the front of your hard drive, ect. That should cut about 10-20 seconds off.

2. Another very smart utitilty is called 'HiJack this' - It is an absolutely tiny program, that takes about 2 seconds to display a list of everything that loads up when you load up windows, and then lets you delete them if you like. The problem is, unlike some larger software you would probably pay for, it doesn't differenciate between the software you WANT and the software you DONT - which you may not be able to deciffer, and you might screw your PC up in the process. However, on the whole files you want will be called something like "svhost.exe" or something respectable, whereas bad files will often have a name like "WaCkySpam.exe" or something pretty obvious...

Also, don't forget the importance of Registry Cleaners - The registry is just like a big box full of all of your systems intricate little settings, and sometimes that box gets a little jumbled. Find a free registry cleaner on download.com

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do registry cleaners actually work or are they like the old clean up utils you used to get which take the sledge hammer approach to system tidying?! :-/

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Do registry cleaners actually work or are they like the old clean up utils you used to get which take the sledge hammer approach to system tidying?! :-/
Yes & yes & no :p

Easiest one I know is CrapCleaner ... First time I used it I'll sware blind that my system was faster, it also alowes you to 'clean' out other crap.

As with ALL reg-cleaners ... RTFM if you're not sure what your cleaning. ;)

Reaction score
Try "system mechanic pro", sometimes it helps. It get rid of all the junks in your pc, it contains also a good registery cleaner.

Reaction score
Do they use ANY McAfee Software, if they do that is what is slowing the computer down - i had it and it took me 20 minutes to log on, no kidding

Reaction score
it still is going slow..defrag..crap cleaner, all the tools it contains...bootvis...msconfig
it still takes for ever what the heck someone is bound to know how to make it run faster

no i am not using mcafee

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do you have a 'network' card unplugged? ... little TV by the clock with a red x

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Having the same problem as Ablizno...so instead of starting a new thread i thought i`d hijack this one coz its kinda the same and i guess after 5 months its probably dead .

Is this Ok ???

I have defragged and prefetched and ccleaned ...still slow though !!!

but...
By Mucks
Do you have a 'network' card unplugged? ... little TV by the clock with a red x

I have 1 tv box with a red cross onit and 1 thats transmitting...what next ??

Reaction score
Slow Login

Do you have a printer connected via Parallel? If so, check that the connector is secure. A loose connector on mine caused me a horrible headache. After running some tests that a tech friend recommended and this is what turned out to be my problem. Hope this helps.

Parallel - West Texas

Ask a Question