Send/receive problem

Gary VanderMolen

WLM by default tries to connect to your "Live ID" (Hotmail) account,
but this can be turned off very easily. In WLM, go to Tools, Options,
Connection, and click on "Stop signing in."
Also, the first time it starts you may see "Active Search" in the
far right pane, but this can also be turned off permanently.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

Mad at Microsoft said:
Sorry Gary I appreciate the help and I'm leaning towards the WML, the concern
is the very low connection speed with Iridium- 4800, Mailasail works wih
compression sofware that works through windows mail (only recently) should it
work with the WLM, the other concern is will the program try and connect to
any other URL apart from my mailasail.com if it does try and send any other
data the extreme slow speed will just basically stop it dead, already I have
to disable all auto updates, and various programs in the start menu to stop
them trying to log in when they see an Internet connection. I'm afraid I do
not know much about computers just when I get everything figured out it all
changes...

Gary VanderMolen said:
There is no reason why Windows Live Mail would not work on
the same system on which Windows Mail worked. Both programs
use standard POP3 protocol.

If you are insistent on making Windows Mail work, there are some
drastic measures one can take:

a. Go through the somewhat laborious "Reset Windows Mail" process:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html

That will renew all the data structures for Windows Mail.

b. Do a repair-install of Vista:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html
That will renew all the system files, but is supposed to leave data intact.

Personally, I would simply upgrade to WLM since it is less trouble than
either of the two alternatives I mentioned.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

Mad at Microsoft said:
The problem with that route is when I'm in remote areas I send/receive Email
Via an Iridium Sat phone and mailasail account I'm not sure if windows live
will work with this system, neither are the techs at mailasail. surely
someone should be able to make windows mail work, I mean why on earth did
Microsoft change from Outlook express which worked fine, is it possibe to run
this program on Vista and if so where could you get a copy

:

Assuming your problem is identical to Linda's, and you have
deleted your mail account, restarted Windows Mail, and
re-created that account, yet the problem persists, my final
advice is still the same: upgrade to Windows Live Mail.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

Hi Gary, I have exactly the same problem as Linda, Norton was supplied on my
computer I removed it before any email account was set up, I have also run
Nortons program for completely removing all traces, I have also updated
windows mail with the outbox unblocker, still the same problem exists.
Windows Ultimate running on Toshiba Qosmio G40 Laptop.
:

While Norton antivirus was installed on your system, it may have
corrupted your Windows Mail beyond repair. I recommend that
you upgrade to Windows Live Mail.
WLM will automatically import your WM accounts, settings, and emails.
http://get.live.com/en-us/betas/maildesktop_betas

Gary VanderMolen

I've done that and the problem is still there :(

Thanks

:

Assuming that Norton was uninstalled completely, and no traces
of it remain, it is likely that Norton corrupted that account while
it was installed. Create a new mail account with the same settings
as the old one, then delete the old account.

Gary VanderMolen

I've uninstalled Norton and done everything you all said (problems mac
suggested were already done and checked, so wasn't that causing problem). But
original problem is still there. I've discovered that send & receive only
doesn't work when there is mail in the outbox. If no mail in outbox, send &
receive works :/

Yet when I reboot Windows Mail, it sends any emails in outbox.

And when I deleted an email in outbox, it still showed a (1) next to outbox
indicating there was an email in there when there wasn't.

sj

I am also having problems with receiving email. I uninstalled Norton and
still could not receive. I installed windows live mail and still can not
receive email. About three days ago Vista and Norton sent updates and my
email stopped working then.
Is the problem Vista?

--
sj

Gary VanderMolen said:
[...]

You may need to run this program to clean up after Norton:

<http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

You may also have to remove your email account under Windows
Mail, then create it again, to complete the cleanup. I assume this
also applies to your email account under Windows Live Mail,
but you have to be more careful about any email messages you
want to save to keep from removing them along with the account.
You might want to ask for details in this newsgroup:

microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

If this cures your problem, you may want a more compatible
antivirus program. I recommend either avast! or AVG, either
one with a custom install that tells it to leave out the part that
scans email.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff

Gary VanderMolen said:
There is no reason why Windows Live Mail would not work on
the same system on which Windows Mail worked. Both programs
use standard POP3 protocol.

If you are insistent on making Windows Mail work, there are some
drastic measures one can take:

a. Go through the somewhat laborious "Reset Windows Mail" process:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html

That will renew all the data structures for Windows Mail.

b. Do a repair-install of Vista:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html
That will renew all the system files, but is supposed to leave data
intact.

Personally, I would simply upgrade to WLM since it is less trouble than
either of the two alternatives I mentioned.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"Mad at Microsoft, Loved XP"
[...]

"Mad at Microsoft, Loved XP" <Mad at Microsoft, Loved
[...]

Be sure to use the Norton cleanup tool Robert mentioned.

Do you get an error message when you try to receive?
If so, right-click on it, copy, then paste it into a reply here.