Replacing BT Voyager 205 ADSL modem.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
For the last few months now, my broadband modem/router (BT Voyager 205) is starting to really p**s me off, as about every 5 mins, it drops it's connection for 1-2 mins then resumes again. It started off just happening every now and again, which i could cope with, but now it's doing it like clockwork.

I've done some research and it seems these 205's are renound for running hot and then packing in, and having tested a few computer/laptop/router/socket combinations I am sure that it is the bloody Voyager modem causing me this terrible pain in the neck.

I rang BT about the problem, and they said
"yes Mr Cutting, you do seem to have a faulty product, but your guarantee ran out 2 weeks ago. You can call our sales department and order a new one at our extortionate prices. We'll even give you a years guarrantee on your purchase, so if anything should happen within a year, we'll gladly replace it.....blah blah blah.....bo***cks!"

So, the next isssue. I now need a new ADSL modem (doesnt need to be wireless necesarilly, as I have a good wireless hub/router for that) thats reliable. Oh and fairly cheap too, and doesn't cost a fortune to get delivered. I do have the modem on 24/7 most of the time, so recommendations from those of you who have high usage would be appreciated.

So, Can anyone recommend a good, cheap ADSL modem to me please?

Reaction score
Phone them up again telling them you are thinking of changing your ISP+ a little bullsh1tting about how you like the service as it's better than anyone else's and would they considor a reduced price for a loyal customer?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I always use Belkin routers - they have a lifetime guarantee :thumb:

Reaction score
Are you sure its the router, i had exactly the same problem with my connection dropping every 5 minutes for about 2 minutes, usually in the early evening, rang BT, they ran some checks and discovered the phone line had a fault, they fixed it and now everything is fine.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I did wonder if it was the line. but then i thought no connection could be that bad. Maybe wrong.

I went out and bought a new Belkin modem router/today (lifetime warranty sold it to me), although when i got back hame I had the BT modem on and running with no problem and no downtime at all. I still swapped it out for the Belkin one though. So I gues I'll never know now whether it was the line or the modem. Unless the connection starts dropping regular again with the Belkin. And if that happens, then BT are in for a rollocking!

Reaction score
I would have blamed BT regardless m8 ;)

Having the monopoly on comms has to come with some disadvantages ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
not a bad price to be fair, although after my experience with my BT modem, I wouldnt recommend them (neither would many people I've found around the net, while researching my problem).

The link for the modem you've shown is only a USB modem though, which personally I'd steer well clear of.

Not bad for a tenner I suppose though, although I've seen these on ebay for only a few quid!

Ask a Question