internal modems

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good internal modem as i have heard that the usb1 bt voyager 105 modems supplied by AOL are cheap and not as fast as internal modems are answers please:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Most, if not all, internal modems are called 'software' modems ... that is, they do not think for themselves, but use your CPU to do their work.

Always better to have an external modem ... how the 105 got that 'name' I'll never know, but they are one heap of junk.

AOHell still use them, they must know where the BT's junk yard is, the 105 should be avoided.

Any 'Ethernet' modem will/should perform better than any USB modem ... insist on an Ethernet modem, and save a headache ... even BTs 205 is better than nothing.

:thumb:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Most, if not all, internal modems are called 'software' modems ... that is, they do not think for themselves, but use your CPU to do their work.

Always better to have an external modem ... how the 105 got that 'name' I'll never know, but they are one heap of junk.

AOHell still use them, they must know where the BT's junk yard is, the 105 should be avoided.

Any 'Ethernet' modem will/should perform better than any USB modem ... insist on an Ethernet modem, and save a headache ... even BTs 205 is better than nothing.

:thumb:
Thanks for that i'm about to leave aol as it is, hate their isp.:thumb:

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
I stand shoulder to shoulder with shifter's opinion of AOHell. They suck !

However, internal modems are invariably faster (invariably?) than USB modems, but the difference is mostly negligible, considering today's PC specs.

All this said, I'd go USB anyway, reason 1 being if your modem or router falls over, it can be reset without having to reset your PC/Network.

Reason 2 being you can have a seperate firewall in your modem/router that's independant from your PCs.

THis is all IMHO. One man's cup of tea . . . . . . . . .

Reaction score
external modems

Well i have been looking for a new Modem like you said and found this (Linksys adsl2mue Modem with usb and Ethernet) it's upgradeable, priced £35.24.Is this brand good and price,plus will it be ok for a 1mb connection,yes slow i know that's the exchange for you!! Thanks for any help:) online shop is broadbandstuff

Last edited:

.-=ManQ=-.

Reaction score
Yes, should be fine, defo good idea using ethernet and Linksys are a good brand. Do you have just the one machine connecting to the NET ?

I ask because I use a modem/router, this way it's gt it's own built in firewall and it routes to 5 different machines, some wired, some wireless. All in one tidy box. It cost me like £50.

Reaction score
.-=ManQ=-. said:
Yes, should be fine, defo good idea using ethernet and Linksys are a good brand. Do you have just the one machine connecting to the NET ?

I ask because I use a modem/router, this way it's gt it's own built in firewall and it routes to 5 different machines, some wired, some wireless. All in one tidy box. It cost me like £50.
Could i use use a Router with this product in future,because i'm wanting to build a computer myself for the first time then i will have 2 desktops.Hope this answers your question.Thankyou:)

.-=ManQ=-.

Reaction score
yes, you can throw a router inline at any time.

Ask a Question