Internet Connection Probs

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right... I seem to have a prob with my internet connection, and i cant fix the bloody thing. :mad:

Its a bit of a pain but it hasnt really bothered me until i installed F@H, as with FaD i just made sure i had a big enough job or one queued up waiting.

First off if i am using the connection then no problem.

If i leave it connected over night or while at work, like for a long time without using it then it stops working.
Firefox just says 'looking up www.google.co.uk' (my homepage) and i.e says 'finding site......' And eventually gives me the 'page cannot be displayed' error.

The only way to get it back is to restart the pc. Disconnecting and reconnecting dont make a difference.

My isp is AOL (I know. :blush:) I use a DUN connection NOT the aol software, or the aol dialer.

The modems a USB Voyager 100, standard kit from aol.

Will have to confirm this but i think, when it doesn't connect, if i sign on using the AOL software i can browse the net without a prob. :rolleyes: But i dont wanna use the software.

I know you guys dont like aol or usb modems but in all fairness this is the first major problem i've had.

Any suggestions?

Cheers. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just had a thought, Do you think it could be the modem playing up, or some kind of software issue?

Been thinking about buying a router, but i dont know if it will help matters.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You're on dial-up with AOL ... I sure they won't let you stay on-line 24/7, they'll just disconnect you.

You could try this ...
Connect using their method, minimise their rubbish, then open up your way ... I remember on one AOL 'customer' having to do that, they never knew I was cheating, but I could not figure out their junk.

oh, and yes, them BT Vs were a heap of junk too .. :rolleyes:

Floppy may have some better idea, he was with them for a time. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No sorry, should have said on broadband. 1MB

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Just had a thought, Do you think it could be the modem playing up, or some kind of software issue?

Been thinking about buying a router, but i dont know if it will help matters.

You describe the exact same problems I had with Fad, I am not saying that is the case but?

I have a cable modem with NTL and I checked it out with them, and they said it was the server at the other end, I did agree with them as they did several tests.

What was happening was upload 1 reject 2 or more then upload 1 and reject> reject>>>>>>> it was apparent there was a problem but I never discovered what? Set it up as described by all the advice I was given on their forum, no difference at all but any other job I did on the net was trouble free???

If you modem is playing up turn it off disconnect it entirely [all cables] then reconnect it and run IE /Fire Fox to a number of sites that are unfamiliar to you and see what happens. Download a large file if it downloads it should also upload.

I did a test with this.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/pinger.asp

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
No sorry, should have said on broadband. 1MB
Well them BT Vs are crap ... I would use stronger language ... worth trying itsme suggestion.

If you can get the BT V 205 (router) then you will have a better chance ... AOL use BT gear, so don't know where/who you'll get it of ... probably BT ... you will have register the new MAC address with AOL, if they do that??

itsme ... I did more research for your area, Jack Land, and if you have anymore problems give me a shout ... ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys, ill try everthing! I was thinking about leaving them a while ago and begining to wonder again.... :rolleyes:

Ask a Question