Parts for my new build

Reaction score
Been debating for a couple of years now.
Since some more pennies coming in and hopefully a large lump sum mid this year I decided to take the plunge.
I really wanted to get the new 5000 series of Ryzen but I am really struggling justifying the prices at present.

I will make do with this one and upgrade again next year maybe. Sell this on and get most of me money back I hope :)

No case yet (still debating) or extra Hdds SSDs. I have some already. In the plan for a new monitor as well
Probs a 27" not sure yet as to which one or brand.

Also in plans is a new media server for down stairs using a AMD X6 1075T
Hopefully running on FreeNAS with one VM (probs XP for older games) and 5-6 3TB hard drives
Lots to do :D

ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS, AMD B550 (Ryzen AM4) ATX motherboard (PCIe 4.0, dual M.2, 10 DrMOS, DDR4 4400, 2.5 Gb Ethernet, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A and Type-C, Aura Sync)

Corsair LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 C18 (PC4-28800) 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black (CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35 MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost)

Attachments

• 81GINMJa6RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81GINMJa6RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 51Pmn2tKhkL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    51Pmn2tKhkL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 71US3n-6pIL._AC_SL1384_.jpg
    71US3n-6pIL._AC_SL1384_.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 89

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great setup! I love my Ryzen 3600, it handles anything I throw at it and I imagine I'll be using it for a very long time to come :).

Will be interested to hear how you get on with FreeNAS. I ended up using UnRAID a few years back (now on synology), but I did enjoy a homebrew NAS.

Reaction score
Great setup! I love my Ryzen 3600, it handles anything I throw at it and I imagine I'll be using it for a very long time to come :).

Will be interested to hear how you get on with FreeNAS. I ended up using UnRAID a few years back (now on synology), but I did enjoy a homebrew NAS.
Yeah had a quick flick through the webOS on FreeNAS last night. A bit over my head tbh but plenty or tuts on the tinternet :)
The VM stuff looked a bit scary too.

I will have to look into whether I will run into problems using my new switch. Although its pretty straight forward again so fingers crossed

I really wanted the Ryzen 5800x but I can't justify £430 just for CPU, when that lot about cost me £412 all in
Still want to get an RTX card as well but I cant see that happening until end of year really

I may change my mind and use my old current board (Sabertooth 990FX) and 8core AMD for the Nas. The Crosshair Formula IV BIOS aint playing nice.
I know this one is solid and plenty of SATA ports

Reaction score
A few of you seem to be on the Ryzen bandwagon now. I’ve always gone Intel as I’m a creature of habit. Is building a Ryzen machine just as easy, is it literally just dropping a different chip into a motherboard?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A few of you seem to be on the Ryzen bandwagon now. I’ve always gone Intel as I’m a creature of habit. Is building a Ryzen machine just as easy, is it literally just dropping a different chip into a motherboard?
I'm on the Ryzen bandwagon :). Yep, it's just as easy - just different motherboard required for it (not cross-compatible), the CPU socket will be a little bit different but just as easy to fit.

Reaction score
I'm on the Ryzen bandwagon :). Yep, it's just as easy - just different motherboard required for it (not cross-compatible), the CPU socket will be a little bit different but just as easy to fit.
Figured it was a silly question. Haha.

hows life with Ryzen? They seem to be getting good write ups.

Assume you can still use all the same components other than motherboard, including nvidia graphics cards?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, same graphics card, PSU, memory (depending on the motherboard specs this may be different) :).

I've got zero regrets about getting a Ryzen CPU, for the price at the time, there wasn't much else like it. Now there are some pretty competitive Intel CPUs, but Ryzen are such good value for so many models. No hesitation in recommending one here!

Reaction score
Might have to give it a try.

I need a new laptop soon and think I’ll get the new MacBook Air with the M1 processor. It’s getting great reviews.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Might have to give it a try.

I need a new laptop soon and think I’ll get the new MacBook Air with the M1 processor. It’s getting great reviews.

The battery life for the new Macbooks is amazing. 17 hours is incredible. 2 days of work on a single charge!

Reaction score
The battery life for the new Macbooks is amazing. 17 hours is incredible. 2 days of work on a single charge!
I think in real life scenarios it's only around 11, but that's still amazing. To take it to work and not need to worry about charging it all day is cool.
The performance is meant to be awesome too, and to be honest, they're not as expensive as equivalent windows machines.

Ask a Question