Parts for my new build

Reaction score
Been debating for a couple of years now.
Since some more pennies coming in and hopefully a large lump sum mid this year I decided to take the plunge.
I really wanted to get the new 5000 series of Ryzen but I am really struggling justifying the prices at present.

I will make do with this one and upgrade again next year maybe. Sell this on and get most of me money back I hope :)

No case yet (still debating) or extra Hdds SSDs. I have some already. In the plan for a new monitor as well
Probs a 27" not sure yet as to which one or brand.

Also in plans is a new media server for down stairs using a AMD X6 1075T
Hopefully running on FreeNAS with one VM (probs XP for older games) and 5-6 3TB hard drives
Lots to do :D

ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS, AMD B550 (Ryzen AM4) ATX motherboard (PCIe 4.0, dual M.2, 10 DrMOS, DDR4 4400, 2.5 Gb Ethernet, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A and Type-C, Aura Sync)

Corsair LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 C18 (PC4-28800) 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black (CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor (6C/12T, 35 MB Cache, 4.2 GHz Max Boost)

Attachments

• 81GINMJa6RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81GINMJa6RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 51Pmn2tKhkL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    51Pmn2tKhkL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 71US3n-6pIL._AC_SL1384_.jpg
    71US3n-6pIL._AC_SL1384_.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 23
Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great setup! I love my Ryzen 3600, it handles anything I throw at it and I imagine I'll be using it for a very long time to come :).

Will be interested to hear how you get on with FreeNAS. I ended up using UnRAID a few years back (now on synology), but I did enjoy a homebrew NAS.

Reaction score
Great setup! I love my Ryzen 3600, it handles anything I throw at it and I imagine I'll be using it for a very long time to come :).

Will be interested to hear how you get on with FreeNAS. I ended up using UnRAID a few years back (now on synology), but I did enjoy a homebrew NAS.
Yeah had a quick flick through the webOS on FreeNAS last night. A bit over my head tbh but plenty or tuts on the tinternet :)
The VM stuff looked a bit scary too.

I will have to look into whether I will run into problems using my new switch. Although its pretty straight forward again so fingers crossed

I really wanted the Ryzen 5800x but I can't justify £430 just for CPU, when that lot about cost me £412 all in
Still want to get an RTX card as well but I cant see that happening until end of year really

I may change my mind and use my old current board (Sabertooth 990FX) and 8core AMD for the Nas. The Crosshair Formula IV BIOS aint playing nice.
I know this one is solid and plenty of SATA ports

Reaction score
A few of you seem to be on the Ryzen bandwagon now. I’ve always gone Intel as I’m a creature of habit. Is building a Ryzen machine just as easy, is it literally just dropping a different chip into a motherboard?

Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A few of you seem to be on the Ryzen bandwagon now. I’ve always gone Intel as I’m a creature of habit. Is building a Ryzen machine just as easy, is it literally just dropping a different chip into a motherboard?
I'm on the Ryzen bandwagon :). Yep, it's just as easy - just different motherboard required for it (not cross-compatible), the CPU socket will be a little bit different but just as easy to fit.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question