Internet and routers

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So I set up me Linskys router .

Got connected .

Turned off pc .

Turned on pc and found that I was connected automaticaly to the internet . Didn't have to click on me AOL icon or anything .

Is this normal , is it safe ????

How do I disconnect from the internet ???

Before I had a AOL home page and I could minimise it to the Start bar , I knew I was connected and I could close the connection . Nice and safe .

Now I'm a little confused .

Can I close the internet connection ??? How ???

If I close the internet connection can I transfer files from pc number 1 to pc number 2 at home ???????

Read my sig line
wallbash.gif
:blush::confused::D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Seems like I'm connecte to the internet all the time . I can connect to AOL for e-mail and home page and turn it off again . When I log out of AOL I'm still connected to the internet .
My McAfee firewall has not registered any activity since I connected with the router , normaly it shows attempts every couple of minutes ??????????
I cann't find the router showing up in C:programs or the Start section ???????????

All I wanted to do was transfer some files from an old pc to me new one . :confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ok I panicked a bit .
Found the router set up page on the web .
Think I've set it up ok .
Keeping me fingers crossed . :D

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Ok I panicked a bit .
Found the router set up page on the web .
Think I've set it up ok .
Keeping me fingers crossed . :D

I don,t know much about AOL but you Must be sign on with your password.

I know you can disconnect aol from the net.

Here a link

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/S...243212&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Linksys have a live chat site and a 24/7 freephone helpline.

Could be your aol is set up as online all the time.

I know alot of isp only need your password and username and that is it.

Reaction score
>Is this normal , is it safe ????<

Depends upon your firewall, antivirus and any spyware/malware programme you are running such as Windows Defender.

But what you are experiencing is normal with most broadband connections including mine.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks guys .

Was a bit spooked about not seeing AOL and beeing on line . Its neat being online without having to go through waiting for AOL and then minimising it .
Have all the defences and they were working ok before the router .
I thought a router had some firewall stuff aswell , don't you have to configure it or is it set up by default . It takes me a while to understand new programs so bear with me whilst I ask dummy questions .

Managed to transfer some files , easy peasy and quick 3 mins to transfer a movie . I'm in heaven .

Thanks to Floppybootstomp for selling me the router :D

Reaction score
MalcolmW said:
>Is this normal , is it safe ????<

Depends upon your firewall, antivirus and any spyware/malware programme you are running such as Windows Defender.

But what you are experiencing is normal with most broadband connections including mine.

Am using blueyonder and i don,t have to sign on aswell.

On all the time.

Am using a linksys router aswell , it did take me days setting it up.

Setup page is (linksys)

http://192.168.1.1/setup.htm

You will not see the linksys router in the program files

Just make sure you have WEP or ,WPA on the router all done on the setup page.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm surprised AOL lets you bypass their signing in process and you're online all the time. My Mum's on AOL (she's 75 so I thought best make it simple for her) and she has to sign in.

I've been online 24/7 on three or four machines for the last 3.5 years.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm surprised AOL lets you bypass their signing in process and you're online all the time. My Mum's on AOL (she's 75 so I thought best make it simple for her) and she has to sign in.

I've been online 24/7 on three or four machines for the last 3.5 years.

When I figure out how to I'll send you the e-mail the nice folk at AOL sent me :p
I'm flabbergasted that I can do something with pc's that Floppybootstomp can't
laughingsmiley.gif
bowdown.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I got my mate online with AOL 24/7 without logging in via a Netgear router - just didn't install any of the AOL software and directly inputed the settings in the router :thumb:

Only time he has to log in is to get any AOL online help/downloads etc.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I got my mate online with AOL 24/7 without logging in via a Netgear router - just didn't install any of the AOL software and directly inputed the settings in the router :thumb:

Ah. Yes. Of course. Silly me :blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Adywebb said:

So does that mean I can get rid of all the AOL software on me pc then ?????
happywave.gif
:D waves bye bye to AOL

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
happywave.gif

You'll be lucky.

That AOL software finds it's way to the furthermost corners of Windows and stays there.

No amount of flushing will budge it.

It may appear AOL has been uninstalled but residue of it's creeper-like infestation will remain.

It's almost as bad as Nortons :)

I know, I used AOL dialup for six years.

Twas a clean install in the end, to get rid of it :)

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
happywave.gif

Not if AOL is your Internet Service Provider (ISP). All Internet access is through an ISP. Bearing in mind that it took me six months to get rid of a pre install of AOL from my computer you would have to sign up with another (non-content) ISP.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes you can loose the software, i did it myself when i was on AOL, for two years upto about 2months ago....At one point i was still using the crap modem they give away.....with no probs. Just need the drivers if you using that. :)

But as Flops said, its hard to get rid of it completely. I uninstalled it then ran Ccleaner and then searched my pc for anything aol that had been left and manually deleted it. I think there is even a removal tool out there somewhere, just like the norton removal tool. ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep as V_R confirms you do not need the AOL software to use them as an ISP to access the net - you just input the AOL settings such as username/password into the router at set-up and you will be fine :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks guys .
So let me see if I have this right before I do anything .

I've set up my Linsky router .

I'm on-line now without having to click on my AOL icon .

When I want to access AOL I click on the icon and open the program .

So far so good .

Now if I uninstall the AOL software .

This will speed up some aspects of me pc Yes/No

I don't need to reset anything on the Linskys router Yes/No

I can access my AOL account by logging in to the AOL site via a website address (same as I can at the moment at the library) Yes/No

Will my free McAfee firewall still be operational or is it dependant on having the AOL software installed Yes/No

If I have to keep the AOL software can I take it out of the startup routine Yes/No

I can set up me AOL e-mails to arrive at me Gmail account (so I don't need to go to AOL at all) Yes/No

Hmmmmmmmm have I forgoten anything Yes/No
laughingsmiley.gif

Seriously though any answers to any of the Q's will be realy helpful .

user.gif
:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thanks guys .
So let me see if I have this right before I do anything .

I've set up my Linsky router .

I'm on-line now without having to click on my AOL icon .

When I want to access AOL I click on the icon and open the program .

So far so good .

Now if I uninstall the AOL software .

This will speed up some aspects of me pc Yes/No maybe

I don't need to reset anything on the Linskys router Yes/No no, as long as your above statement is correct.

I can access my AOL account by logging in to the AOL site via a website address (same as I can at the moment at the library) Yes/Yes for email, No some services require you to use the software

Will my free McAfee firewall still be operational or is it dependant on having the AOL software installed Yes/No dunno, loose it and install antivir. its better....

If I have to keep the AOL software can I take it out of the startup routine Yes/No yep,and loose the icon in the system tray. (right click and its in there somewhere if i remember right)

I can set up me AOL e-mails to arrive at me Gmail account (so I don't need to go to AOL at all) Yes/No you could do, but its easier to use thunderbird or OE

Hmmmmmmmm have I forgoten anything Yes/No
laughingsmiley.gif
Probably....:D

Seriously though any answers to any of the Q's will be realy helpful .
I think thats everything, will have more time tomorra, i will post again then. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks V_R .
Thats all the info I'll need .
I seem to have a mental block about setting up OE , tried several times , and I didn't like what I read about the security issues with it , so I never bothered to try again. I haven't tried Thunderbird as the research I've done seemed to indicate quite a few probs setting it up with AOL . Still these might not be there if I'm using a router .I'll look into all of that in the new year as I'll have more time .

Hmmmmmmmm have I forgoten anything Yes/No :lol: Probably....
biggrin.gif

Your answer to this should have been " DEFINITLY"

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question