Modem or router?

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing ISP - from AOL.
When asking for my MAC code from them I got the expected "Why change?" questions and one of the reasons I gave was the continuing connectivity problems I was having - I seem to be on a dial-up service, with connection status windows popping up and "dialbb is now connected" messages.This, I was told, was due to my old modem (BT Voyager 105), and they could change that, blah, blah. Anyway, they emailed the code very quickly so that's ok. I am now checking other ISPs and I queried Zen by phone and mentioned the modem and they said that I would be better off with a router that they would supply.
Now my query - does a router give a better connection than a modem? I have only one PC, so there's no network involved.
Advice appreciated.

Reaction score
I prefer a router.
It provides additional security layers and I have a constant connection.... no waiting to connect.
Then again I also have a few more computers than yourself :p

Reaction score
My experience

Since last 12 years I have been working on networkand internet etc.

I have used modem in the beginning using dial upconnection on phone lines as well as on cable also. after that I have changed to wireless router which used for my total office network and internet. Only one equipment do both duty at a time. I never have any problem with the rouder but seems works soomth without break than modem.

It is upto you to decide whicher is better, In my techincal view, both equipment are okay. But speed and other matter varies equipment to equipment and its configuration or capacity which we selects. A cheap router never gives good value as well the service of ISP and the speed (kbps) you buy is also factor to be considered.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have been using a cheap Belkin router and BT Voyager 105 modem with my AOL ISP for four years with hardly a hitch for three years. Now I am using a BT 220V router and modem that I bought for £1 and it works just fine. The best part of it is that I do not need any AOl software installed on my pc. This coupled with the extra security a router offers is a good solution.

Go for a modem and router combined.

happywave.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If you are changing ISP then who ever you go with will give you a router if you go broadband anyway, checkout Be* and BT.

Ask a Question