Do modems vary in power output?

Reaction score
We have a problem with the internet.Where the modem is all is fine,the rest of the house not to good.
I/We are with TalkTalk for our internet/phone, as providers I/We are quite happy with them.The modem supplied by them is tiny (5"X 4 1/2")
Now I was wondering.Do modems vary in output the more expencive they are.
Is,for example theLinskys WRT1900ac router 1300Mbps+600Mbps router at £199.99 any more powerful than my titchy one?
One other question.
Can I have two modems running,one at the master phone socket and one in another room/
Many thanks for any replies.
historian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry historian, I've only just seen this thread and that you didn't get a reply.

Yes, there is a difference in wifi strength across routers, but you may find it easier to extend your current signal rather than get a new router. The easiest way to do that would be something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-...179614&sr=8-2&keywords=homeplug+wifi+extender

You may be able to get away without any extra hardware, as sometimes you may find that changing the wifi channel or aerial placement can give you a little boost to cover the rest of your house. Most supplied routers are pretty good these days - is it quite a recent model?

Reaction score
Hello Ian.
So sorry for the late reply to your answer.
Some time ago I bought a pair of power line adapters made by TP-Link, thinking that they would help.Well they did for a while but now not so good.The blurb on the box states a range of 300meters in the house.Some hopes!
I`ve looked at the links you sent me.They all seem very good,or at least the reviews about them are. It really is a mine field and so confusing.
You ask if my modem is recent.Yes it is we only got it last year.
As for an arial--well it hasn`t got one. Changing the channel you say could help,how on earth do you do that?
Many thanks Ian for your reply.
historian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've got the model number of the router, I'll do some reading up on it and point you in the right direction with anything that may improve the range (inc. changing channel, etc...) :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian.
Sorry to take so long in repying to you.

I have the router model number which is:
DSL-3680 Broardband wireless N150 ADSL 2+router.
I think we`ve only had it for about a year or so.
Many thanks.
historian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like your router will automatically select the best wifi channel, but you can change it here manually (perhaps try 1, 6 and 11 and see if any of those improve things):

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-change-wireless-channel#3680 or 3780 or 3780

I did some Googling for information on this router and it seems that the TalkTalk forums are full of complaints about the wifi range on this device. Every time someone posts on their to complain about the wifi range, a TT member of staff offers to post them out a new router. I can only assume this means that there's a known problem with the wifi range...

I'd suggest getting on to their own forum and see if you can bag one, or give them a call and tell them the problem and see if they send out an updated router. They may be able to remotely log in to your router and tweak some other settings if you give them a call. Alternatively, they may be able to send out an extender. It's reasonable to assume that a modern wifi router will provide coverage for an average sized house.

Reaction score
It looks like your router will automatically select the best wifi channel, but you can change it here manually (perhaps try 1, 6 and 11 and see if any of those improve things):

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-change-wireless-channel#3680 or 3780 or 3780

I did some Googling for information on this router and it seems that the TalkTalk forums are full of complaints about the wifi range on this device. Every time someone posts on their to complain about the wifi range, a TT member of staff offers to post them out a new router. I can only assume this means that there's a known problem with the wifi range...

I'd suggest getting on to their own forum and see if you can bag one, or give them a call and tell them the problem and see if they send out an updated router. They may be able to remotely log in to your router and tweak some other settings if you give them a call. Alternatively, they may be able to send out an extender. It's reasonable to assume that a modern wifi router will provide coverage for an average sized house.

Hi Ian.
Again sorry for my late reply.
This is re: my modem--again.
I`ve been trying out verious settings on the modem.
Well I`ve tried "Auto setting" Nothing improved there.
I tried 8,11,and now I`m on 12. The next setting is 13. I`m a bit wery of that one,it might burn it self out!
Any way, from the settings I`ve tried 12 seems to have an edge.I now get a weak signal in our breakfast room.But it does not hold it for long before it drops out--then it`s back to square one.
I`ve not gone down the road of complaining to TalkTalk, my ISP. But that will be my next step.
I to think that a modem should be able to cover a house. But at the moment my daughter cannot get connected up in her bed room. It would seem that the signal refuses to go up stairs!!
Many thanks for your help.
historian.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't worry about trying channel 13 - it's not power settings but a difference in frequency (so 1 could be better than 13 for example) :).

If 1,6 or 11 don't do it, then I'd chat to talktalk and see if you can get that new router - it should be pre-configured so it's only a case of switching over a few wires.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you remove all the interior walls, you will get a better reception. :nod:

I'd get BT India to replace it ... hmmm, actually they used to send me one every time I complained. I have 5. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Don't worry about trying channel 13 - it's not power settings but a difference in frequency (so 1 could be better than 13 for example) :).

If 1,6 or 11 don't do it, then I'd chat to talktalk and see if you can get that new router - it should be pre-configured so it's only a case of switching over a few wires.

Thanks for your reply Ian.
I tried going up and down the scale of numbers but nothing improved the reception. So I gave "TalkTalk" a ring to complain re: my router. They were very good about it.I explained my/our predicament and added that it was not good enough.So they sent me a new,what they call a "Super router" It`s much bigger than the old one.But best of all it covers the whole house!! Now at least my daughter can use her tablet in her bed room.It`s not a strong signal but much better than before.So it would seem that size does matter.
historian.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent! Glad to hear it has improved things :).

Ask a Question