Recovery CD's Corrupt

Reaction score
Hey guys i really dont know what to do at the minute so i really need some advice,

Basically most of my friends get me to fix there computers for them when they have problems as 9 times out of 10 i can sort it.

The other day my mate bought his wifes laptop around and asked me if i could have a look at it, it was full of junk, spyware etc so i thought the best way was to just do a nice clean install of windows, i phoned him up and asked him to bring then disks he had around.

When i get these disks i see that he didnt have a Windows XP media disk but a set of recovery cd's that he made himself following instructions when he got the laptop.

I would have prefered to just install windows but i thought ok ill just use them and then clean off the crap that Acer puts on the laptop at the factory after.

Everything went fine until disk 4, it crashed so i tried it again and it crashed again, i tried to copy the disk to see if that was the problem and it is corrupted right at the end on the last file.

I installed ISOBUSTER to try and see if i could save the disk but it was no good. The stupid Acer recovery prog dosnt let you skip a file it just crashes with an error message. I also tried using a copy of the disc with that one file missing but the PC knows that particular file is coming and that didnt work either.

So now i have no way of installing windows and the computer dosnt even work at all as the start of the recovery process is to delete everything, the pc is more fu**** up now then when i got it off him.

I cant really say to him i messed your pc up but if you give me 60ish quid for a copy of windows i can fix it can i, i also cant really explain to them both him or his wife what the problem is because they are severely limited understanding anything technical to do with PCs.

By the way the lappy is a Acer 3662WLMi and it did have Windows XP media centre edition installed on it.

Any ideas what to try now? I just phoned Acer by the way to see if i could ask them what the situation is but they have all gone home as they finish at 17.30 and i may not be able to make that time tomorrow either :(

Appreciate any info you guys can give me, i think its just really really crap when companys dont give you the copy of the OS that you have paid for!

FS.

Reaction score
You could always tell him, his recovery disks are at fault..If he is a good mate he will understand and fork out the £60....

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Does the laptop have a license key sticker? if so you can use any XP Home Media Centre edition disk to install and just use the key thats on the laptop.

You could try this http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Restore_and_Recovery_Disc_RECOVERYDVD/version.asp

If you don't have a copy of xp then i have disks of all XP editions and will happily send you one, save your mate £60.

If so then PM me your address and i will despatch one post haste.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The Laptop should have a "sticker" somewhere attached, usually on the bottom :thumb:

... anybodies XP disks will do to reinstall the OS (see above post), just make sure you use Home Edition or Pro if that is the original OS installed, just use the number that is on the sticker. ;)

No, this is NOT illegal, ask MS, they tell you how too ... :D

:user:

Reaction score
Yeah guys its got the sticker with the key on, it says Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005 then underneath Acer Incorporated, the Acer Incorporated bit is the only thing that makes me think if i installed a normal version of XP Media then it wouldnt recognise Acers key, or would it??

If that would work then id love to take you up on your offer Waynos in fact if you have a copy i could use to install it i could come and pick it up at your convenience over the weekend as i only live down the road in Nuneaton, I could even post it back to you after i have used it.

Let me know mate what you think i would really appreciate that :)

Cheers Lee.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I am away this weekend unfortunatley but can put you a copy in the post tomorrow if you wish?

Reaction score
Yes mate that would be awesome :) I just got off the phone to Acer they charge £50 and two weeks wait for recovery discs, they told me though any copy of Windows XP Media would work as long as it is an OEM copy, is that what you have?

Reaction score
The license key is a semi registered to Acer, being that main distributors cut deals with Microsoft for mass licensing. However that license is yours and will work with any XP Media 2005 disc. If it's used multiple times you may have to phone to activate it.

Reaction score
FSman said:
Windows XP Media would work as long as it is an OEM copy
Doesn't have to be OEM.... it can be a retail version.... what they mean is that it mustn't be a corporate edition (used primarily in volumn licensing).

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah i have a Windows master DVD from when my brother used to build PC's for a company, it has every retail and OEM version of XP, i can make standalone bootable CDs from it, so will do so and post it tonight before i leave.

PM me your address, you don't need to post it back or anything.

Reaction score
Thnx so much mate ive sent the PM,

and thnx everyone else for the input appreciate it!

Lee.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hiya mate got your message,

Will send you Media center OEM, Media Center 2005 SP2 so either of those should work.

Reaction score
Great stuff! Owe you one big time, at least i have some good news when i tell him they arnt getting their pc back tomorrow :D

Lee.

Ask a Question