New Build for my Son

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just looking to sense check a new build for my son for Christmas. The requirements are:

1. Box only, he has monitor, keyboard and mouse
2. He wants to play games (fortnite, roblox, subnautica etc.)
3. Needs to be for schoolwork too :)
4. I know it's probably overspecced but I want it to be future proof and also have the ability for him to upgrade it as he gets older / learns more about PCs etc.

So, here's the spec. It's a bit over budget so looking for anything that maybe is overkill, or if I've made any blunders in speccing it out.

1604311591418.png

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.8 KB · Views: 127

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That looks like a sensible build to me, although do you need such a beefy/expensive cooler?

If you're looking to reduce the price a bit, I'd consider switching to a Ryzen CPU/Mobo (and just use the cooler that comes in the bundle - as AMD supply one). In 3 days, the new Ryzen 5000 series it out, and I'd guess the 5600 will be approx the same price as your i5 (but will come with a cooler most likely). Alternatively, a slightly older 3600 may be going for a really good price next week.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Everything looks great but if you are spending 2 grand on a computer an i5 processor becomes the weakest link in my opinion. i7 would be future-proofing in my opinion. Also consider what @Ian said, which makes a lot of sense. :nod:

I recently upgraded my ram with Corsair vengeance pro, very nice looking piece of hardware and works like a charm. I now have 16 GB in total increased from 8 GB before on my i7 rig which also was upgraded with an SSD of 1 TB, Corsair MX500.

I recently came across an ad for Windows stating it is now like $30 but I understand it must be the download version of it. I think $185 for the DVD version is still very expensive and I suggest you look around and save a few bucks there. ;)

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes. :cheers:

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Glad to know I’m roughly on the right path here :)

To answer some of your questions.

1.Yes, will definitely be looking to reduce the cost of Windows 10. Not sure how yet but I agree it’s expensive at 185.

2. I would prefer to stick with Intel. It’s just a personal preference.

3. i7 would be nice but they’re significantly more expensive. I’ve been doing a lot of research and the i5 seems to be getting really good reviews, Particularly when it comes to gaming.

4. Abarbarian, what’s the benefit of the 1660ti over the Super? I thought the Super was a newer version but I could be mistaken. Prices coming down a lot with the 30xx range out now.

5. yeah, it’s rubbish that no cooler comes with it. I’ve got the same cooler on my i7 system and it’s a monster. I was just picking something that would likely last years if he upgrades or decides to give overclocking a go. Anyone got any suggestions on a less heavy duty cooler that would do the job for this build?

thanks for the advice really love this forum for this type of stuff. I can’t believe it’s been almost 20 years since I joined it!!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
@bodhi Here is what I found out. I suggest you consider a flash drive version instead of DVD, a flash drive is much easier and faster to install. You can just go ahead and buy it when you need it.

Windows 10 Pro on Amazon.com

Secondly, you also now have the option to download Windows 10 via the media creation tool within windows 10 on your computer. Just select the option to instal on another computer, from this ISO file you can create your own Flash drive installer. This would be by far the cheapest option you can possibly have.

Reaction score
Hey @Quadophile, yeah, happy to download the ISO and create my own USB boot drive. It's more the license cost that's the issue. Apparently you can run it without activating it but it'll just keep harassing you all the time which is a pain. You can also buy an activation code online but they can sometimes bet a bit dodgy.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Hey @bodhi I do have my Windows 10 Pro License in the shape of a "digital certificate" which is associated with my PC so if I wipe the HD and start all over again I can install windows and log into my Microsoft account and it would activate windows on the machine as it will recognize it. I have had no problems whatsoever. Not just one machine but my laptop as well.

Reaction score
Hey @bodhi I do have my Windows 10 Pro License in the shape of a "digital certificate" which is associated with my PC so if I wipe the HD and start all over again I can install windows and log into my Microsoft account and it would activate windows on the machine as it will recognize it. I have had no problems whatsoever. Not just one machine but my laptop as well.

I thought each code was for one machine only? I bought windows 10 a couple of years ago for my desktop. I wouldn’t be able to use the same code for a new build though would I?!!

Reaction score
Don't buy a disc version of Windows. Simply download it from MS website and but a legit key from a rep provider

£10 for a Windows 10 Key

Let me know and I will PM you the site. Not sure if a link is allowed?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I thought each code was for one machine only? I bought windows 10 a couple of years ago for my desktop. I wouldn’t be able to use the same code for a new build though would I?!!

Yes, each one has its own license, sorry for any confusion there. The code you have will not work for the new build.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
4. Abarbarian, what’s the benefit of the 1660ti over the Super? I thought the Super was a newer version but I could be mistaken. Prices coming down a lot with the 30xx range out now.

GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER vs GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

My bad I read the spec as a GTX 1660. Looks like the Super will perform almost as well as a 1770 for gaming. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Quick follow up question. Is there any likely space issues with a mid tower case? I have the Corsair Obsidian 500 and it’s an absolute beast.

Looking for a smaller case for my boy, but he’s definitely keen to have fans that light up :cool:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Quick follow up question. Is there any likely space issues with a mid tower case? I have the Corsair Obsidian 500 and it’s an absolute beast.

Looking for a smaller case for my boy, but he’s definitely keen to have fans that light up :cool:

If the price is same or the difference is just negligible, I would not go for the mid-tower case. The standard case would be cooler in comparison also.

Reaction score
OK. We are getting there now. :) I only need to buy Windows 10 and the graphics card. The spec for the build now is:

Corsair Carbide Spec Delta RGB Mid-Tower Case
Asus Rog Strix Z490-E Gaming motherboard
Intel i7 10700K
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME 1.3 M.2
Corsair RMx 750w 80 Plus Gold PSU
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Noctua NH-U12A Cooler

It's going to be a flying machine, I don't want the graphics card to let it down. I'm torn on whether to get the 1660 Super or spend more. Problem is, I've already blown the budget! Do you reckon a 1660 Super will let this machine down or will it be ok for a couple of years before he can swap it out?

Thanks!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
@bodhi What about the sound card and speakers? Since it is a gaming machine I was wondering?

Reaction score
@bodhi What about the sound card and speakers? Since it is a gaming machine I was wondering?

Hey Quad,
The board has inbuilt sound and he already has all the external stuff, I.e. monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse.
Thanks though. Even though I’ve done this a lot I always worry I’ve forgotten something :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
No thoughts on the GPU from anyone?
Well the 1070 is not that much better an the 1080 is way overpriced. Next best step forward is the RTX 2060 but they come in various flavours and are more expensive apart from a couple I saw.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660S-Super/4034vs4056

You could save some loot by getting a slightly cheaper NVME drive and put the loot towards the better graphics card.

It is a brain teaser alright. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question