Recommended EMail Application

Ken Blake

Apparently he has never tried to resolve a formatting problem in MS
Word. It is quite easy to do using WordPerfect's reveal codes.

Today WordPerfect is equal to MS Word, in most respects. Headers,
Footers, footnote, outline, and most other aspects.

Equal? I think it's better. And it always has been.

I bought WordPerfect so I would have a high quality word processor, and
found that I am using Quattro Pro as much as I am the WordPerfect. So
far I have never had a need for Presentation, the Power Point equivalent.

But I think Excel is much better than Quattro Pro and PowerPoint much
better than Presentations. WordPerfect itself is the only program I
use in the WordPerfect suite.

Gene E. Bloch

What is difficult with going into Word Options Display and checking
"show all formatting marks"?

That's actually pretty easy. But it doesn't end there...

It should suffice to say that for me Word was *far* easier, *far* more
effective, and *far* pleasanter to use.

But since (as expected) fans of WP are true believers, it does not
suffice to say that, so I will now bow out of this subthread, rather
than continuing to address deaf ears.

Gene E. Bloch

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:43:55 -0500, Keith Nuttle

Equal? I think it's better. And it always has been.

But I think Excel is much better than Quattro Pro and PowerPoint much
better than Presentations. WordPerfect itself is the only program I
use in the WordPerfect suite.

Are you saying that you choose what works best for you?

Radical idea! Great idea...

Ken Blake

That's actually pretty easy. But it doesn't end there...

It should suffice to say that for me Word was *far* easier, *far* more
effective, and *far* pleasanter to use.

But since (as expected) fans of WP are true believers, it does not
suffice to say that, so I will now bow out of this subthread, rather
than continuing to address deaf ears.

What? What? Can't hear you! <vbg>

BillW50

But since (as expected) fans of WP are true believers, it does not
suffice to say that, so I will now bow out of this subthread, rather
than continuing to address deaf ears.

You are kidding? There are still people using that dinosaur? What OS are
they running it under, Win 3.1? That is where my WP lives and I say good
riddance.

Gene E. Bloch

You are kidding? There are still people using that dinosaur? What OS
are they running it under, Win 3.1? That is where my WP lives and I
say good riddance.

WP exists in the world of Windows, and apparently lots of people really
like it (you can see that here).

Adam Kubias

Are you saying that you choose what works best for you?

Radical idea! Great idea...
That's insane. I only choose programs that really frustrate me but
everyone else says are good.

Gene E. Bloch

That's insane. I only choose programs that really frustrate me but
everyone else says are good.

That's good. I will take my inspiration from you :)

Kidding aside, some degree of that seems to be unavoidable. I can't
seem to find any product in any domain (software, photography,
automotive, etc, ad infinitum) that doesn't have some degree of
frustration built in.

Ken Springer

Kidding aside, some degree of that seems to be unavoidable. I can't
seem to find any product in any domain (software, photography,
automotive, etc, ad infinitum) that doesn't have some degree of
frustration built in.

Might not be so bad if there were decent manuals/help files available
for software.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0
Thunderbird 24.0

Ken Blake

That's good. I will take my inspiration from you :)

Kidding aside, some degree of that seems to be unavoidable. I can't
seem to find any product in any domain (software,

software

photoware

carware

etcware

ad infinitum)

adware?

pjp

Jumping in late here but used to use Wordperfect originally and switched
to Word way back in DOS days before Windows 2 even was released.

Why you ask? 1 reason stands out. In Wordperfect you'd ask for help and
it'd say push a key and I'll tell you what it does. In Word help was
tell me what you want to do and I'll tell you the keys to push. Which to
you makes more sense when you want help to do something specific.

I can remember specifically being able to ask for help in Word to merge
some mass mailing thingie where address and people changed each copy of
printout. I did it on the fly using Word's help. Wordperfect would have
required reading way to much manual etc. etc. that I doubt I would have
even bothered if that was only option.

BTW - anyone remember name of word processer was popular just before
these two appeared, e.g. had to use Ctrl-K and things like that for
formatting.

Ken Blake

BTW - anyone remember name of word processer was popular just before
these two appeared, e.g. had to use Ctrl-K and things like that for
formatting.

Do you mean Wordstar? That was the first word processor I used, and I
hated it.

BillW50

pjp said:
BTW - anyone remember name of word processer was popular just before
these two appeared, e.g. had to use Ctrl-K and things like that for
formatting.

Yes, it is called WordStar and I still use it on occasion today.

BillW50

Ken Blake said:
Do you mean Wordstar? That was the first word processor I used, and I
hated it.

I too hated it! Although my friend said just stick it out and I said ok.
I still hated for weeks, but I still used it everyday. Then I started to
learn about all of the amazing things you could do with it. Then a bit
later, it wasn't even hard to use anymore and everything just made so
much sense. Also you could fly on that thing because your fingers stayed
on the home row. Plus if you were a programmer, it was a dream come
true, as it had non-document mode. ;-)

Yousuf Khan

I tried Thunderbird and it is very slow.
Thunderbird programmers do not seem to know how to code to release for
user actions. It locks itself up until it finishes what it wants to do.
Not good programming. I cannot seem to stop what is happening or do
other simple tasks until TBird finishes.

BTW, I might have a solution to the Thunderbird freezes that some of us
experience, but not others. It may have something to do with antivirus
scanning. I'd suggest excluding the entire directory from being scanned
in which Thunderbird's databases exists, usually %appdata%\Thunderbird,
inside your antivirus software.

Yousuf Khan

BillW50

In Yousuf Khan typed:
BTW, I might have a solution to the Thunderbird freezes that some of
us experience, but not others. It may have something to do with
antivirus scanning. I'd suggest excluding the entire directory from
being scanned in which Thunderbird's databases exists, usually
%appdata%\Thunderbird, inside your antivirus software.

I was asked to find the caused of this problem and my mail shield isn't
installed. And using process monitors and logs, Thunderbirds freezes
whenever it picks up messages here. I turned off automatic get messages
and Thunderbird no longer freezes at all for me.

Silver Slimer

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
BTW, I might have a solution to the Thunderbird freezes that some of us
experience, but not others. It may have something to do with antivirus
scanning. I'd suggest excluding the entire directory from being scanned
in which Thunderbird's databases exists, usually %appdata%\Thunderbird,
inside your antivirus software.

Would it affect Firefox as well?