Conduit got me, indirectly!

micky

Conduit got me, indirectly!

Thank you Paul and Vanguard for your replies to a post of mine about a
month ago. I'm still working on answers for your posts. (FTR, it was
the about: blank thread but that's not important now.) Both of you
pointed out Conduit, which I hadn't noticed before, which I didn't know
was a bad thing, and which hadn't caused any problems yet,

Readers who get bored may readily skip ahead to **** to see my actual
question.

But later I noticed that it was causing problems. It, or my
mother-in-law, had changed IE's home page to the search.conduit page,
and it had changed the search engine to Bing, I think. Not sure about
the latter, because I never thought of the search engine as being
related to the browswer. I only thought of it as a webpage, which I
often made the homepage. But the first thing was enough.

I went to Internet Options / Advanced, and wrote down all the boxes
checked in the top half of the box. Then I reset and compared. Some
had changed, which I took to mean they had been changed by Conduit,
because I never directly changed anthing in the Advanced box.

I did other things to IE also, starting with Manage Add-ons.

Then I restarted the computer and went straight to the same Internet
Options / Advanced box and reset IE at the botttom half of the box.
Maybe I should have checked if things were working badly first but I
didn't. Since then everything seems to be working okay, including FF
and SeaMonkey, which were not** before (but I hadn't worked on them
yet.)

****
But I've realized that IIUC I no longer have any security updates for
IE 8.0.6001.18702. I thought I had saved all the security updates,
but under C:\Windows is instead a bunch of $uninstalls, about 100 of
them, sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Where on my computer might I find all the secuirty updates. Can I just
run them in chronlogical order starting with the first one needed for
IE8, or IE8.0.6001.18702? And will that put me back the way I was?

If not, don't trouble yourselves yet to explain to me what to do. I
think there are several threads in this NG that I should read before I
ask questions about that. I read a lot of them once, but since I had
no problem, I wasn't paying enough attention to actually know what to
do! ;-)

**FF and SeaMonkey about a day or two earlier had gotten so that I could
not type into a screen, even when there was a blank box meant for typing
in. I could select text, but I couldn't copy the text to the clipboard.
But I could still click on a link elswhere and a Sea Monkey tab would
open fairly quicly. Then it got really slow. And lastly, the hourglass
never went away. I guess the last is why I thought it easier to work
on IE. So far I have done nothing to FF or SM and they seem to work as
well as they ever do.

Paul

micky said:
[...]

What starts as a simple job, can take a while.

You can see with the guided help, there could be other
things as well as Conduit. Using Adwcleaner and Junkware-Removal-Tool
is only part of the job.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516387/conduit-search-spigot-removal/

Paul

VanguardLH

micky said:
Conduit got me, indirectly!

I did other things to IE also, starting with Manage Add-ons.
But I've realized that IIUC I no longer have any security updates for
IE 8.0.6001.18702. I thought I had saved all the security updates,
but under C:\Windows is instead a bunch of $uninstalls, about 100 of
them, sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Where on my computer might I find all the secuirty updates. Can I just
run them in chronlogical order starting with the first one needed for
IE8, or IE8.0.6001.18702? And will that put me back the way I was?

See what you can get off the Windows Update site. I don't have WinXP to
check. I've heard conflicting reports about the WU site having or not
having the updates anymore. Using the WU tool or site does not save any
updates but applies them. Unless you've used WSUSoffline to actually
save the updates to wherever you want to separately store them (which
should obviously not be to the same partition as where is the OS) then
you don't have them to reapply.

If it takes me more than 3 evenings to cleanup not just the malware but
all its registry and file remnants, I've already spent more time than it
would take to do a fresh install of the OS and apps and restore my data
from backups. For Windows XP, I'd check if Microsoft still has the
updates (both patches and security updates) at their WU site or if they
only have some of the security updates.

Have any image backups been saved for this computer? If you don't do
backups then you deem your setup and data as non-critical and
reproducible (whether true or not).

Paul

VanguardLH said:
[...]

The Baseline Security Analyser can list the security updates,
if you were starting with a fresh install. It probably runs off
the same manifest as Windows Update though.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184924.aspx

Paul

Hot-Text

Paul said:
The Baseline Security Analyser can list the security updates,
if you were starting with a fresh install. It probably runs off
the same manifest as Windows Update though.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184924.aspx

Paul
No longer any security updates with IE 6 or 7
You have to have IE 8 to run The Windows Update site

With a fresh install you have to update IE to a 8 first
So you can able to update the Installer for Auto update

But like Win 98
You can not use IE 8
So the day is coming

That you have to Have
IE 9 for run The Windows Update site
And Auto update
That will be the end of XP as we know it

Hot-Text

micky said:
Conduit got me, indirectly!
Thank you Paul and Vanguard for your replies to a post of mine about a
month ago. I'm still working on answers for your posts. (FTR, it was
the about: blank thread but that's not important now.) Both of you
pointed out Conduit, which I hadn't noticed before, which I didn't know
was a bad thing, and which hadn't caused any problems yet,
Readers who get bored may readily skip ahead to **** to see my actual
question.

Vanguard do not have a Windows OS
But Paul Knows his Windows
But later I noticed that it was causing problems. It, or my
mother-in-law, had changed IE's home page to the search.conduit page,
and it had changed the search engine to Bing, I think. Not sure about
the latter, because I never thought of the search engine as being
related to the browswer. I only thought of it as a webpage, which I
often made the homepage. But the first thing was enough.

Is Microsoft Your Mother-in-law

For Microsoft changed IE's home page
and search conduit
With an Bing Desktop update Just for you
[...]

And I see you Fix It good Job

Buffalo

"Hot-Text" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Paul
No longer any security updates with IE 6 or 7
You have to have IE 8 to run The Windows Update site

With a fresh install you have to update IE to a 8 first
So you can able to update the Installer for Auto update

But like Win 98
You can not use IE 8
So the day is coming

That you have to Have
IE 9 for run The Windows Update site
And Auto update
That will be the end of XP as we know it
You need a good nights rest!!

Hot-Text

From: "Hot-Text" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: That will be the end of XP as we know it
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 21:18:18 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01CF9E16.CCFC4E30

Now I up=20
=20
it not the Newsreader Pasay
It's the News Server Aioe Text only
They do not like Hot-Text/Html being porsted=20
=20
||On 13/07/2014 02:14, Buffalo wrote:

|| You need a good nights rest!!=20

| And also a good newsreader so that it formats the text correctly.
------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01CF9E16.CCFC4E30

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588"></HEAD>
15px"=20
id=3DMailContainerBody leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 text=3D#000000 =
CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>Now I up <BR>&nbsp;<BR>it not the Newsreader=20
Pasay<BR>It's the News Server Aioe Text only<BR>They do not like =
Hot-Text/Html=20
being porsted <BR>&nbsp;<BR>"Good Guy" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message <A=20
href=3D"net</A>...<BR>||On=20
13/07/2014 02:14, Buffalo wrote:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>||<BR>|| You need a good nights rest!! =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DCalibri>||<BR>| And also a good newsreader so that it =
formats=20
the text correctly.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01CF9E16.CCFC4E30--

Now I up

it not the Newsreader Pasay
It's the News Server Aioe Text only
They do not like Hot-Text/Html being ported

Good Guy

Not true. I just installed my July XP updates using IE 6.

DK

Please ignore Paul because he is on crack cocaine these days. He is
supposed to go to some assylum soon.

You say you received July updates in XP, could you tell us what these
updates are? You don't get any updates in XP since April 8th 2014. Are
these updates old ones that you were missing in your system?

Paul

Good said:
Please ignore Paul because he is on crack cocaine these days. He is
supposed to go to some assylum soon.

You say you received July updates in XP, could you tell us what these
updates are? You don't get any updates in XP since April 8th 2014. Are
these updates old ones that you were missing in your system?

Somehow, you ass clowns have attributed "Hot Text" content, to me.

This is the content you've quoted. From Hot Text.

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&A=0&MSGI=<[email protected]>

Paul

DK

I am one of those guys that lie to MS that my system is POS 2009,
so there are still updates every month.
Somehow, you ass clowns have attributed "Hot Text" content, to me.

Sorry, my mistake!

DK

Hot-Text