Outdoor Conduit?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm running some network cable outside our house, but there's one part that I'm going to run in some black PVC conduit. I'm happy enough getting the main run done (inc expansion joints), but I'm a little unsure at what I should use for the end terminal to get though to the house.

I was going to use one of these and just drill though the back (to an angled hole in the cavity wall).

Would that be suitable, as I don't think I'd need an IP rated enclosure for network cable (which is already outdoor/waterproof grade)?

A little OT for a tech forum perhaps, but hopefully someone may know the answer :thumb:.

Reaction score
Thats what I would use mate. Maybe a rubber grommet at rear to stop any damage to the cable while pulling it through? It would help seal it against the wall when screwed back aswell

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That junction box is fine, no need for adhesive, push fit will be tight. You'll also want a round cover and a couple of bolts to hold the cover in place. And if you're really fussy put a purpose made round rubber gasket between junction box and lid.

When you drill through the wall angle up a little, this is because rain won't flow uphill and will thus stop moisture creeping in. Use some plain old silicon sealant between junction box and wall, also a good idea to fill the hole through the wall with silicon sealant from both ends. Fix the junction box to the wall with two screws and rawplugs to ensure good sealant seal.

And try not to drill through any damp courses that may be there, drill through the wall above it. The damp course will be identifiable usually by spotting a layer of lead or galvanised soft metal between brick courses or by a series of filled holes in a horizontal line round the building. If nothing is obvious go through a least 18" above ground level.

And yes, ethernet cable is waterproof, providing you don't nick it during installation.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :thumb:.

I just need to get some longer drill bits and a couple of connecters and I'm ready to go :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just had a thought...

When you drill through the wall angle up a little, this is because rain won't flow uphill and will thus stop moisture creeping in.

Assuming you're drilling from outside in ;)

UK Drills are the best place I know for drill bits, I buy all my drills from them, they're always delivered the next day and their prices are the best I know. Quality goods as well.

I would have linked to some masonary bits but not sure whether you're using plain or SDS bits.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Just had a thought...

Quote:
When you drill through the wall angle up a little, this is because rain won't flow uphill and will thus stop moisture creeping in.

:lol:
:lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:bow::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::bow:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol:
:lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just had a thought...

UK Drills are the best place I know for drill bits, I buy all my drills from them, they're always delivered the next day and their prices are the best I know. Quality goods as well.

I would have linked to some masonary bits but not sure whether you're using plain or SDS bits.

Very reasonable prices indeed! Just plain drill bits for me - probably 500mm long, although I've not measured up yet. May line the hole with some of the 20mm conduit, just for ease in future (and to seal the cavity).

Any type of bit you'd particularly recommend? I'm not going to be drilling through cavity walls too often, so don't need something too high end.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
sorry, a brick will absorb water, even without holes drilled into it ... :p

source :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
sorry, a brick will absorb water, even without holes drilled into it ... :p

source :)

In the case of a hole drilled through a brick it will ingest little, if any moisture through that hole if sealed with silicon sealant. Protection from water is doubly so if covered with a junction box and silicon sealant.

As for bricks absorbing moisture, yes, of course they do - but they dry out. And anyway, they seem to have done ok in the construction of waterproof homes since the time of the Egyptians or before, probably.

I've been drilling holes through walls as part of my job on and off for 28 years and nobody's complained of damp so far. So far.

Mind you, there was this time, at this school in Wandsworth, where my drill (SDS; 15mm Dia; 60cm length), on emerging in the main office from the outside area, severely grazed a high pressure cast iron hot water pipe :eek: That was a bit scary.

The application of a little metal filler and closely matched paint managed to disguise my little indiscretion, fortunately for me.

Always, I say always boy, check the angle through the wall when you're drilling, and note potential disaster where the drill bit is likely to emerge.

Here endeth the lesson :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Any type of bit you'd particularly recommend? I'm not going to be drilling through cavity walls too often, so don't need something too high end.

Sorry, no idea, I always use SDS bits with one of These (Discontinued now).

Probably stating the obvious here but do use at least a hammer drill. If you're not going to use it much just order something cheap and cheerful. If you want to make the postage worthwhile it may be worth ordering some ordinary HSS drill bits while you're at it. Just a thought.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, no idea, I always use SDS bits with one of These (Discontinued now).

Probably stating the obvious here but do use at least a hammer drill. If you're not going to use it much just order something cheap and cheerful. If you want to make the postage worthwhile it may be worth ordering some ordinary HSS drill bits while you're at it. Just a thought.

No worries, I think I've found a 600mm one that will do the job. I've got a good short length HSS bit set, but may order a smaller diameter 600mm one and some wood flat bits at the same time.

My drill isn't anywhere near as good as that one (Matika cordless hammer combo drill) - but it goes through brick easy enough with a little persuasion.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a quick update, as I've finally got round to getting everything done and wanted to say thanks for the advice :thumb:.

The drill bit came to the crazy price of £2.89 and did the job perfectly - went for a 13x600mm drill bit that was just big enough to fit everything through the cavity wall. Cut through it like butter, even in my little battery drill.

Ask a Question