Video (AV) Senders

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
In my area here the TV analogue signal will not be switched off till September. So I am now having to think about what to do next. I have two portable TVs which run off loop aerials (yes, I know, very old fashioned) but they can be attached to set top boxes (I have two spare) for the digital system.

The problem is the aerials. I don't want to have to start drilling holes and fitting cables and was wondering about a video sender running from my main aerial in the loft and transmitting signals to the other TVs.

Does anyone have, or know anything about, video senders. If it works as described in some articles then it could be the answer to my problems. However, I'm not sure if the signals would be strong enough to cover the whole house and I've also heard about interference from Wi-Fi signals.

Another answer may be to try a small digital aerial for each set. I did post a question about this before and I remember that TC did find success with such an aerial.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The video senders work well, I've used them at work and the most walls I've sent signals through is two at a max distance of around 20 metres. That's been my only experience of them so I don't know how they'd perform through more walls than 2.

In my experience I haven't had any interference from Wi-Fi. The senders are also a lot cheaper now than when I first used them around 12 years ago and I'd guess they probably perform better as well. I'd certainly try one, if you buy it on Amazon and it doesn't work you'll get your money back no problem, worth thinking about.

As for digital aerials, try your old loop aerials with the digital signals first, they often work well.

So, if it were me I'd buy a video sender from Amazon and try it with existing aerials. If results no good, try a digital aerial on one set and if it works well get another one.

It may also be worth considering putting an aerial amplifier between rooftop aerial input and video sender, they don't cost a great deal..

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Flops.

One further question. Does the receiving TV only play the same channel that is on the transmitting TV?

Or is the transmitter situated between the main aerial and the first TV? Some that I've looked at seem to have the trasmitter on the first TV using a Scart socket.

As you can see, I'm not 100% sure of how these things are set up.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've rather overlooked one basic fact I'm afraid and that is a video sender will only transmit a video/audio signal, it will not transmit an airborn digital TV signal, the one that your aerial receives. Which means you'll need a device with a tuner in the attic or at a point where the attic aerial signal terminates, receiving the aerial signal and the sender would send whatever channel that device is tuned to.

A freeview box would be the obvious choice and it's likely the box's remote control will work from remote locations to change channels. And whatever channel the tuner device is sending will be the only one that can be watched on all TV's in the premises.

Sorry about overlooking that fact :blush:

Ask a Question