TV reception prob?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I wondered if I could please run this past you guys who are TV-savvy please.... we are still receiving analogue, by the way. The digital switch will take place next March here.

The ITV station on one of our TVs (which is connected to an outdoor aerial) suddenly went a bit haywire two evenings ago. But the other three terrestrial stations are absolutely fine.

To compare, we tried the TV in the kitchen (which is connected to an independent, indoor aerial) and it was displaying exactly the same symptoms; ITV is full of "venetian blinds" sound is not "right" but each of the other stations... fine!

Teletext (or do I mean Ceefax? Whichever is the ITV service) is okay, not distorted or jumbled.

Both TVs are flat screen TFTs which are working fine except for this sudden problem with the ITV station.

As they are on independent aerials, we are assuming that the problem they have in common, must be a transmitter/reception fault - would you agree?

I checked for any maintenance reports on our transmitter website, but none were listed. Tried re-tuning the station, but that doesn't work either. There has been no changes to anything else around the home, which could influence the signals.

Any ideas about what we could check next please? Thanks very much for reading, any suggestions gratefully received :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Some one is building near you and has erected scaffolding in direct line ... go pull it down.

:wave:

I may be wrong

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I may be wrong

If this is indeed the case, EITHER...

a) patiently wait for five days for the... ahem... obstacle to disappear

OR...

b) take immediate action

poorsanta.jpg

happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ice and/or snow on the transmitter?

We get this problem very occasionally when the weather is a problem. Sometimes only affects one or two of the channels - something to do with different frequencies for different channels.

It will correct itself before all those Xmas repeats. :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We're pretty certain that there are no new buildings/scaffolding in the area. But if there was, wouldn't it affect the other channels too?

Update even as I type..........

Terry has just spoken to the ITV company (it has taken us all this time to even get through to them :mad:) Anyway, there is apparently a problem at the Wenvoe transmitter, which their engineers haven't been able to solve yet.

Would have been nice if they had put a notice on their website, or flashed a message onto the screen just to let folk know.... but apparently, 'tis only a "small number" of us who are affected, so I guess it's yah-boo-sucks to us :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Why stay with analogue?

If you have freeview reception in your area you may as well tune to them now.

You may have to re-tune come March.

Just a thought :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Why stay with analogue?

If you have freeview reception in your area you may as well tune to them now.

You may have to re-tune come March.

Just a thought :)

We live in a "basin" surrounded by hills, so at the moment can only get analogue, from a relay station. This is a "poor reception" area for Freeview. Most folk around here, seem to have dishes, so we're thinking of trying "Freesat."

I know we've left it a bit late, we're not big telly-watchers... but it's probably time to extract the digits and get on with it, otherwise we shall be looking at blank screens come March, lol. :D

Ask a Question