Wifi, Outdoor, battery powered security camera without hub

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a few problems outside a gate to my house (vans reversing in to a wall shared with my neighbours, repeatedly!). It's costing money to fix each time and proving hard to find out how actually did it.

I've seen that Amazon has "Blink" outdoor cameras that can run from a battery for 2 years, but they require a hub to use. I'm looking for a camera with cloud storage that can be battery powered, but doesn't require a hub (as the camera will likely need to use the neighbours WiFi connection, but I'll administer it).

Has anyone got any recommendations? Ideally the camera would have a long battery lifetime, as the motion detection will go off more than normal - so the 2 years for the blink camera is likely closer to a few months in my use case.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did some more reading and it sounds like all of the long life, battery powered cameras will be using hubs - as that's where the magic is to provide a low power wireless connection. Might have to re-think this!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Paul Hibbert was raving about one that he's used for the last couple of years. I forget the name. I think it was in this vid...

Might be worth a browse of his channel. :thumb:

EDIT: Reolink Argus 2 was the one he had. Talked about in this one.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers @V_R, that looks exactly like what I'm after :thumb:. Even has a solar panel addon. Perfect!

I'll run this past the neighbour and see if this is the one we can go for :D.

Ask a Question