Ram/MOBO Problem

Reaction score
Hi again,

I've been having a recurring problem with a PC for 2-3 weeks now, first time it came in it said it was missing c:\windows\system32\config\system and that i had to repair windows, well i formatted the pc, re-installed XP and everything was fine again, or so i thought, the PC would freeze in windows randomly....so i changed the ram from Kingston to Crucial, problem seemed to be solved. 1 week later, the pc was back again same missing system file, so i repaired the MBR and windows was fine, tested the pc for a couple days, no problems. 2 days later, back comes the pc again with yet again the same system file missing error. This time it wont boot into xp setup, tried a new hard drive, still didnt work so i took 1 stick of ram out, , repaired MBR again and then decided to run a mem test with 1 stick at a time then finally 2 sticks in together.

1st stick of ram, passed
2nd stick of ram, passed
both sticks of ram, metest86 crashes miserably upon starting.

I think its the mobo, what do you guys think?

Reaction score
Could well be the motherboard.

Have you tried putting the ram in different slots? Could be one of the slots is fooked.

Cheers,

Rich

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well ... at first reading I was suspecting a faulty HD, but your last comment looks promising.

What is the MB, does the ram meet their requirments? ... did you check with Crucial that the ram is for your MB?

;)

Reaction score
Its a Gigabyte GA K8VT800 Pro. The ram is PC2100 Crucial, but tried kingston ram also.

Tried the ram in slots 1/2 and 1/3 not tried 2/3. The system works fine with ram in slot 1 only though it seems

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, your Edit beat me ...

Change the board ... never liked Gigabyte anyway. ;)

Ask a Question