Printing Error

Reaction score
One of the computers (Windows XP Pro SP3) on our network at work is now getting this error when trying to print. I tried the test page and this is what I got.

Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter? Unable to ... Unable to create a print job.

I get the same message no matter which network printer I select. I searched the net for some type of solution or cause. It just started to act up last
Friday. It has no local printer attached. I know there was a XP update done
the end of last week, but the employee doesn't remember which one or what it it was. Where can I find out which update she did? And does anyone have
any ideas about this printing problem? Thanks. Sue

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Where can I find out which update she did?
Check the update history.

It may be the spooler service on the server is not working.

Try stopping it, delete also any stuck print jobs in the spooler folder (usually C:\winnt\system32\spool\printers ) and restart it.

failing that, try ...

http://support.microsoft.com/

:user:

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd test some things out.

You mention network printers only. Can this computer print to a local printer?

As the previous poster mentioned, check that the spooler serivce is running. Start->Run->services.msc and find the spooler service, make sure it is started.

Does this PC work on the network otherwise? Can you touch a webpage, or a local network resource?

What is this computers IP address? Start->run->CMD hit enter. In the dos box type ipconfig hit enter... now that you have the Ip address...can you ping that machine from another computer? Go to another computer and Start->Run->CMD hit enter. Now, type in ping "Ip address here without quotes" and hit enter...do you get a reply?

All of these will tell us more about your issue.

Ask a Question