Print spooler problem, error 1058

Discussion in 'Windows XP Print / Fax' started by Guest, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so ago. No
    printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I cannot
    add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no enabled
    devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software has
    tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the HP
    printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows XP,
    but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.

    Any ideas?

    Thank you,

    Michael
     
    Guest, Dec 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Remove the dependencies and start again...

    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

    Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so ago.
    >No
    > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > cannot
    > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > enabled
    > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > has
    > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the HP
    > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > XP,
    > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Michael
     
    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Dec 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.

    Michael


    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Remove the dependencies and start again...
    >
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >
    > Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so ago.
    > >No
    > > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > > cannot
    > > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > > enabled
    > > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > > has
    > > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the HP
    > > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > > XP,
    > > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Michael

    >
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Dec 3, 2006
    #3
  4. Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    >
    > Michael
    >
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    >>
    >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >>
    >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >>
    >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    >> >ago.
    >> >No
    >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    >> > cannot
    >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    >> > enabled
    >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    >> > has
    >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the
    >> > HP
    >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    >> > XP,
    >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you,
    >> >
    >> > Michael

    >>
    >>
    >>
     
    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Dec 3, 2006
    #4
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    HP does have an uninstall utility. I used it several times, and it has not
    fixed anything. Their install tries to fix the spooler, but fails.It looks
    like it is a problem with my windows, and not their install. It was working
    fine for a couple of months prior to this incident.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    > something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    > uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    > not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >
    > > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    > > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    > >>
    > >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    > >>
    > >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > >>
    > >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    > >> >ago.
    > >> >No
    > >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > >> > cannot
    > >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > >> > enabled
    > >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > >> > has
    > >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the
    > >> > HP
    > >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > >> > XP,
    > >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > >> >
    > >> > Any ideas?
    > >> >
    > >> > Thank you,
    > >> >
    > >> > Michael
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Dec 3, 2006
    #5
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Are there any more ideas? Ihave done everything, and did succeed in removing
    the 1068 errors, but the 1058 error has got me stumped. I have used HP
    uninstall utility but still can't do anything

    Michael

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    > something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    > uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    > not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >
    > > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    > > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    > >>
    > >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    > >>
    > >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > >>
    > >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    > >> >ago.
    > >> >No
    > >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > >> > cannot
    > >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > >> > enabled
    > >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > >> > has
    > >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the
    > >> > HP
    > >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > >> > XP,
    > >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > >> >
    > >> > Any ideas?
    > >> >
    > >> > Thank you,
    > >> >
    > >> > Michael
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Dec 3, 2006
    #6
  7. What is the Service it is referring to... can you work that out? Which
    Dependency?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > HP does have an uninstall utility. I used it several times, and it has not
    > fixed anything. Their install tries to fix the spooler, but fails.It looks
    > like it is a problem with my windows, and not their install. It was
    > working
    > fine for a couple of months prior to this incident.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    >> something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    >> uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    >> not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >>
    >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> >
    >> > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    >> > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    >> >
    >> > Michael
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    >> >>
    >> >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >> >>
    >> >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    >> >> --
    >> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >> >>
    >> >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> >> news:...
    >> >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    >> >> >ago.
    >> >> >No
    >> >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out.
    >> >> > I
    >> >> > cannot
    >> >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058
    >> >> > error,
    >> >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has
    >> >> > no
    >> >> > enabled
    >> >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer
    >> >> > software
    >> >> > has
    >> >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled
    >> >> > the
    >> >> > HP
    >> >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    >> >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my
    >> >> > windows
    >> >> > XP,
    >> >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Any ideas?
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Thank you,
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Michael
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >>
    >>
     
    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Dec 3, 2006
    #7
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    when I click on start, it begines with the bar, and immediatly stops and
    give the error message"could not start the Print Spooler on local computer.
    Reeoe 1058: the service cannot be started, either because it is disbaled or
    because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

    There is no further information I can find.

    I also checked, and there are no dependencies associated with the print
    spooler.

    Under recovery, all failures are set to restart the service, and the reset
    fait count is set for 1 day, and restart the service after 1 minute.


    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What is the Service it is referring to... can you work that out? Which
    > Dependency?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > news:D...
    > > HP does have an uninstall utility. I used it several times, and it has not
    > > fixed anything. Their install tries to fix the spooler, but fails.It looks
    > > like it is a problem with my windows, and not their install. It was
    > > working
    > > fine for a couple of months prior to this incident.
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    > >> something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    > >> uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    > >> not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > >>
    > >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:...
    > >> >
    > >> > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    > >> > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    > >> >
    > >> > Michael
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    > >> >>
    > >> >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > >> >> --
    > >> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > >> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > >> >>
    > >> >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > >> >> news:...
    > >> >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    > >> >> >ago.
    > >> >> >No
    > >> >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out.
    > >> >> > I
    > >> >> > cannot
    > >> >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058
    > >> >> > error,
    > >> >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has
    > >> >> > no
    > >> >> > enabled
    > >> >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer
    > >> >> > software
    > >> >> > has
    > >> >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled
    > >> >> > the
    > >> >> > HP
    > >> >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > >> >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my
    > >> >> > windows
    > >> >> > XP,
    > >> >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Any ideas?
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Thank you,
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> > Michael
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >> >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
     
    Guest, Dec 3, 2006
    #8
  9. In Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services.... What is the Startup Type of the
    Print Spooler set to?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > when I click on start, it begines with the bar, and immediatly stops and
    > give the error message"could not start the Print Spooler on local
    > computer.
    > Reeoe 1058: the service cannot be started, either because it is disbaled
    > or
    > because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
    >
    > There is no further information I can find.
    >
    > I also checked, and there are no dependencies associated with the print
    > spooler.
    >
    > Under recovery, all failures are set to restart the service, and the reset
    > fait count is set for 1 day, and restart the service after 1 minute.
    >
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> What is the Service it is referring to... can you work that out? Which
    >> Dependency?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >>
    >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> news:D...
    >> > HP does have an uninstall utility. I used it several times, and it has
    >> > not
    >> > fixed anything. Their install tries to fix the spooler, but fails.It
    >> > looks
    >> > like it is a problem with my windows, and not their install. It was
    >> > working
    >> > fine for a couple of months prior to this incident.
    >> >
    >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    >> >> something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what
    >> >> should
    >> >> uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be
    >> >> necessary,
    >> >> not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    >> >> --
    >> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >> >>
    >> >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> >> news:...
    >> >> >
    >> >> > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the
    >> >> > 1068
    >> >> > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Michael
    >> >> >
    >> >> >
    >> >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >> >> >
    >> >> >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    >> >> >> --
    >> >> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> >> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> >> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> >> >> news:...
    >> >> >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or
    >> >> >> >so
    >> >> >> >ago.
    >> >> >> >No
    >> >> >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them
    >> >> >> > out.
    >> >> >> > I
    >> >> >> > cannot
    >> >> >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058
    >> >> >> > error,
    >> >> >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it
    >> >> >> > has
    >> >> >> > no
    >> >> >> > enabled
    >> >> >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer
    >> >> >> > software
    >> >> >> > has
    >> >> >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled
    >> >> >> > the
    >> >> >> > HP
    >> >> >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed,
    >> >> >> > tried
    >> >> >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my
    >> >> >> > windows
    >> >> >> > XP,
    >> >> >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > Any ideas?
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > Thank you,
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > Michael
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >>
    >>
     
    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Dec 4, 2006
    #9
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Michael,

    Make sure Print spooler service in services.msc is running.
    try to restart the service to cross check it.
    Still get problem. remove all HP Printer drivers from control Panel.

    and follow this article for complete removal of printer drivers.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894/

    then try to reinstall printer driver.. It should work miracles...

    All the best !!!!


    "Michael" wrote:

    > Are there any more ideas? Ihave done everything, and did succeed in removing
    > the 1068 errors, but the 1058 error has got me stumped. I have used HP
    > uninstall utility but still can't do anything
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    > > something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    > > uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    > > not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > >
    > > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > >
    > > > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    > > > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > > >
    > > >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    > > >>
    > > >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    > > >>
    > > >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > > >> --
    > > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > > >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > > >>
    > > >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > >> news:...
    > > >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    > > >> >ago.
    > > >> >No
    > > >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > > >> > cannot
    > > >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > > >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > > >> > enabled
    > > >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > > >> > has
    > > >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the
    > > >> > HP
    > > >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > > >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > > >> > XP,
    > > >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > > >> >
    > > >> > Any ideas?
    > > >> >
    > > >> > Thank you,
    > > >> >
    > > >> > Michael
    > > >>
    > > >>
    > > >>

    > >
    > >
    > >
     
    Guest, Dec 5, 2006
    #10
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I cannot start the spooler. It is not running in services and will not start.
    I get the 1058 error wwhen I try. I did go through all the steps outlined in
    the microsoft link. That was one of the things HP asked me to do, and it did
    get me out of the 1068 errors I had been getting. I posted that if I enable
    the only hardware profile listed, I get a 1075 error.

    "Ady" wrote:

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > Make sure Print spooler service in services.msc is running.
    > try to restart the service to cross check it.
    > Still get problem. remove all HP Printer drivers from control Panel.
    >
    > and follow this article for complete removal of printer drivers.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894/
    >
    > then try to reinstall printer driver.. It should work miracles...
    >
    > All the best !!!!
    >
    >
    > "Michael" wrote:
    >
    > > Are there any more ideas? Ihave done everything, and did succeed in removing
    > > the 1068 errors, but the 1058 error has got me stumped. I have used HP
    > > uninstall utility but still can't do anything
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    > > > something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    > > > uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    > > > not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    > > > --
    > > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > > > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > > >
    > > > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > > news:...
    > > > >
    > > > > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    > > > > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    > > > >
    > > > > Michael
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    > > > >>
    > > > >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    > > > >>
    > > > >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > > > >> --
    > > > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > > >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > > > >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > > > >>
    > > > >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > > >> news:...
    > > > >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    > > > >> >ago.
    > > > >> >No
    > > > >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > > > >> > cannot
    > > > >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > > > >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > > > >> > enabled
    > > > >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > > > >> > has
    > > > >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the
    > > > >> > HP
    > > > >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > > > >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > > > >> > XP,
    > > > >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > > > >> >
    > > > >> > Any ideas?
    > > > >> >
    > > > >> > Thank you,
    > > > >> >
    > > > >> > Michael
    > > > >>
    > > > >>
    > > > >>
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
     
    Guest, Dec 5, 2006
    #11
  12. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.....
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > Having no luck, how would I restore back to a couple of weeks ago when I
    > had
    > printer service? I know about 2 weeks ago is when the printer died, and I
    > also lost Norton about the same time. Since then I have not been able to
    > install a printer, and AVG and online norton scan has not found any virus.
    > I
    > suspect these things are related, maybe a restore to 22 weeks ago might
    > help
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> In Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services.... What is the Startup Type of
    >> the
    >> Print Spooler set to?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >>
    >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >> >
    >> > when I click on start, it begines with the bar, and immediatly stops
    >> > and
    >> > give the error message"could not start the Print Spooler on local
    >> > computer.
    >> > Reeoe 1058: the service cannot be started, either because it is
    >> > disbaled
    >> > or
    >> > because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
    >> >
    >> > There is no further information I can find.
    >> >
    >> > I also checked, and there are no dependencies associated with the print
    >> > spooler.
    >> >
    >> > Under recovery, all failures are set to restart the service, and the
    >> > reset
    >> > fait count is set for 1 day, and restart the service after 1 minute.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> What is the Service it is referring to... can you work that out?
    >> >> Which
    >> >> Dependency?
    >> >> --
    >> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >> >>
    >> >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> >> news:D...
    >> >> > HP does have an uninstall utility. I used it several times, and it
    >> >> > has
    >> >> > not
    >> >> > fixed anything. Their install tries to fix the spooler, but fails.It
    >> >> > looks
    >> >> > like it is a problem with my windows, and not their install. It was
    >> >> > working
    >> >> > fine for a couple of months prior to this incident.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >> >> >
    >> >> >> Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in
    >> >> >> One....
    >> >> >> something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what
    >> >> >> should
    >> >> >> uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be
    >> >> >> necessary,
    >> >> >> not if the package is written correctly in the first place but
    >> >> >> .......
    >> >> >> --
    >> >> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> >> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> >> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> >> >> news:...
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the
    >> >> >> > 1068
    >> >> >> > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > Michael
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a
    >> >> >> >> 1058.
    >> >> >> >> --
    >> >> >> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> >> >> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    >> >> >> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> >> >> >> news:...
    >> >> >> >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week
    >> >> >> >> >or
    >> >> >> >> >so
    >> >> >> >> >ago.
    >> >> >> >> >No
    >> >> >> >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them
    >> >> >> >> > out.
    >> >> >> >> > I
    >> >> >> >> > cannot
    >> >> >> >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058
    >> >> >> >> > error,
    >> >> >> >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it
    >> >> >> >> > has
    >> >> >> >> > no
    >> >> >> >> > enabled
    >> >> >> >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer
    >> >> >> >> > software
    >> >> >> >> > has
    >> >> >> >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have
    >> >> >> >> > uninstalled
    >> >> >> >> > the
    >> >> >> >> > HP
    >> >> >> >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed,
    >> >> >> >> > tried
    >> >> >> >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in
    >> >> >> >> > my
    >> >> >> >> > windows
    >> >> >> >> > XP,
    >> >> >> >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> > Any ideas?
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> > Thank you,
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> > Michael
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>

    >>
    >>
    >>
     
    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Dec 7, 2006
    #12
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Michael, Understand first, that I am not a technician and have had no
    training, except trial and error. I have learned a lot of things about
    computers and resolutions, but it's still from trial and error keep in mind.
    I solved my spooler problem, but along the way I've later created another
    with XP. But a friend once told me to repair XP, and use the second repair
    prompt, as the first uses System Recovery. Nothing is lost but XP errors are
    repaired when you use the second repair and it rewrites the software. That
    is how I started the print spooler service, after running the second repair
    option off the XP Software CD. I ran it, after Lexmark told me it was a
    system error and call the manufacturer, I got to thinking if it's a system
    error, I can repair the system software but running the repair, so I did.
    Afterwards, I checked the service and it was running. Hope it works for you!
    Good Luck! Delores

    "Michael" wrote:

    > I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so ago. No
    > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I cannot
    > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no enabled
    > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software has
    > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the HP
    > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows XP,
    > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Michael
     
    Guest, Dec 10, 2006
    #13
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Michael, did you try repairing the XP software with the CD, as I suggested.
    You first have to go to the boot options, and have it boot by CD instead of
    the default process, the restart with the original XP OS CD in the drive and
    it will automatically start off the CD. At the first prompt for repair, hit
    any key to continue, otherwise hit R to repair under the System Recovery
    option, which you do not want to do. A couple of screens later it asks again
    do you want to repair, here you say yes, and it rewrites the XP Software over
    the original. It seems you are installing the original software, but you
    don't lose anything as when you reformat, and you will have corrected the
    spooler problem when you are finished. This is how I got the spooler serv.
    started. Maybe I didn't explain well enough before, but maybe this is
    clearer.

    "Michael" wrote:

    > I cannot start the spooler. It is not running in services and will not start.
    > I get the 1058 error wwhen I try. I did go through all the steps outlined in
    > the microsoft link. That was one of the things HP asked me to do, and it did
    > get me out of the 1068 errors I had been getting. I posted that if I enable
    > the only hardware profile listed, I get a 1075 error.
    >
    > "Ady" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Michael,
    > >
    > > Make sure Print spooler service in services.msc is running.
    > > try to restart the service to cross check it.
    > > Still get problem. remove all HP Printer drivers from control Panel.
    > >
    > > and follow this article for complete removal of printer drivers.
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894/
    > >
    > > then try to reinstall printer driver.. It should work miracles...
    > >
    > > All the best !!!!
    > >
    > >
    > > "Michael" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Are there any more ideas? Ihave done everything, and did succeed in removing
    > > > the 1068 errors, but the 1058 error has got me stumped. I have used HP
    > > > uninstall utility but still can't do anything
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    > > >
    > > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Does HP have an uninstall utility on their site for the All in One....
    > > > > something that really scrubs out what doesn't uninstall (and what should
    > > > > uninstall!). IMHO an uninstall utility should never really be necessary,
    > > > > not if the package is written correctly in the first place but .......
    > > > > --
    > > > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > > > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > > > > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > > > >
    > > > > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > > > news:...
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I had the 1068 errors too, and cleaned that up. I eliminated the 1068
    > > > > > errors, not I have the 1058. I am lost now.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Michael
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > >> Remove the dependencies and start again...
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > > > > >> --
    > > > > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > > > >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > > > > >> http://www.coribright.com/windows
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > > > >> news:...
    > > > > >> >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so
    > > > > >> >ago.
    > > > > >> >No
    > > > > >> > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > > > > >> > cannot
    > > > > >> > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > > > > >> > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > > > > >> > enabled
    > > > > >> > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > > > > >> > has
    > > > > >> > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the
    > > > > >> > HP
    > > > > >> > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > > > > >> > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > > > > >> > XP,
    > > > > >> > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> > Any ideas?
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> > Thank you,
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> > Michael
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
     
    Guest, Dec 13, 2006
    #14
  15. Guest

    www.ecreo.dk Guest

    I've had this problem (Error 1058) for about a week, and today I
    finally found the solution (after alot of hard work, among Win XP
    repair with no luck)...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584/

    This solution worked VERY WELL for me - hope it can help someone out
    there...

    Best regards
    Casper Stendal
    www.ecreo.dk

    Cari (MS-MVP) skrev:
    > Remove the dependencies and start again...
    >
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >
    > Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so ago.
    > >No
    > > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > > cannot
    > > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > > enabled
    > > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > > has
    > > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the HP
    > > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > > XP,
    > > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Michael
     
    www.ecreo.dk, Jan 3, 2007
    #15
  16. Guest

    www.ecreo.dk Guest

    Print spooler problem, error 1058 (solved)

    I've had this problem (Error 1058) for about a week, and today I
    finally found the solution (after alot of hard work, among Win XP
    repair with no luck)...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584/

    This solution worked VERY WELL for me - hope it can help someone out
    there...

    Best regards
    Casper Stendal
    www.ecreo.dk

    Cari (MS-MVP) skrev:
    > Remove the dependencies and start again...
    >
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    >
    > Steps 15 through 17 and I'm betting it's a 1068 error, not a 1058.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
    > http://www.coribright.com/windows
    >
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I have been fighting to install a printer. Mine was lost a week or so ago.
    > >No
    > > printers are currently installed, whatever happened wiped them out. I
    > > cannot
    > > add a printer because the spooler will not start. I get a 1058 error,
    > > "service cannot be started because it is either disabled or it has no
    > > enabled
    > > devices" I have tried to start it manually, and the HP printer software
    > > has
    > > tried to fix the problem, but so far, nothing. I have uninstalled the HP
    > > printer software, started the dependencies it said it needed, tried
    > > everythign HP suggested, and stillnothing. The probelm is in my windows
    > > XP,
    > > but I have no idea how to get the spooler to turn on.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > Michael
     
    www.ecreo.dk, Jan 3, 2007
    #16
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Alan Morris\(MSFT\)

    Re: print spooler deleting print jobs

    Alan Morris\(MSFT\), Sep 29, 2003, in forum: Windows XP Print / Fax
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    910
    Alan Morris\(MSFT\)
    Sep 29, 2003
  2. dan b
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    912
    Victor D.
    Feb 15, 2004
  3. RBF

    Print Spooler won't clear when using Print Server

    RBF, Jun 16, 2005, in forum: Windows XP Print / Fax
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    659
  4. Guest
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,041
    Guest
    Dec 18, 2005
  5. Bill
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    357
  6. Guest

    Print Spooler (I can't print!)

    Guest, Apr 15, 2007, in forum: Windows XP Print / Fax
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    501
    Alan Morris [MSFT]
    Apr 18, 2007
  7. Guest
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,715
    Alan Morris [MSFT]
    Jul 27, 2007
  8. Guest

    Can't print without restarting Print Spooler Service

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007, in forum: Windows XP Print / Fax
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,484
    Guest
    Aug 9, 2007
Loading...