pc hangs after startup

Reaction score
after i have started my pc and everything has loaded onto the desktop my pc seems to hang for about 2 minutes, everything works fine until just before i shut down then it hangs for about a minute. ive scanned for viruses and spyware etc and it comes up all clear. help please.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Run "msconfig" from the run command on the start menu. Have a look at the startup tab for any items that are ticked and post them here, as it sounds as if one of the processes is causing problems.

Reaction score
typed in msconfig but a box came up saying could not find file or one of its components. my operating system is win 2000.
i am running nortons 2004 av but could not find how to set this up to scan on startup/shutdown.only auto protect.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if the pc cant find msconfig then there sounds as if a file has been deleted somehow. how long has it been like this ? is it possible to do a system restore / fresh install ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows 2000 does not have MSCONFIG ... I'll need more information on your system.

Do you have a network card not being used?

As a side note to other posters in this thread ...

if you have nothing constuctive to say, then please, don't bother posting

I have deleted all non-constructive posts in this thread.

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
my system is a pentium2 ,433mhtz ,128mb ram ,10gb hdd ,win 2000. pretty old system and no network card to my knowledge.thanks

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
One reason it might takes a long time is your processor speed,and the amount of memory you have.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
rabbit said:
my system is a pentium2 ,433mhtz ,128mb ram ,10gb hdd ,win 2000. pretty old system and no network card to my knowledge.thanks

Alf is correct ... your system is a little underpowered.

However, 98 or ME will perform a lot better and if you have ever had the inclination to try Linux out, now could be a good time.

;)

Ask a Question