Post Hangs

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a problem with my PC in my sig, sometimes when I reboot it the computer hangs at POST before it detects the CPU, if I turn it off that seems to correct it most times but sometimes it does not I have to do this a few times before it works. This has only happed a few times and then it went a way but it has come back again, the last thing that I did prior to this happening was updating to the latest BIOS, but it worked for weeks before this started happening could it be something to do with that? I have also pulled out the CMOS battery and cleared everything. It seems to be ok atm, but I am testing the memory to see if that could be the issue, there was no symptoms leading up to this all seems fine in windows, I can run 3dmark fine.

Any advice welcome,

Wiz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are there any newer BIOS updates available? You could always roll back to the old BIOS version if it continues.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Are there any newer BIOS updates available? You could always roll back to the old BIOS version if it continues.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your quick reply.

There are no never versions out atm. If it happens again I'll roll it back to the older one and see if it happens.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
When you flashed the new BIOS, all the default settings returned.
You are running a 1066 FSB system (actual 266 MHz) with ram spd of 800 (Actual 400) Mhz at stock vram.
My guess is that the Gigabyte BIOS sees the ram as DDR2-800 and desyncs it from the FSB to run at a (listed) 800 speed.
At the stock 1.8v you get hiccups.
Your cpu only needs DDR2-533 ram to sync at 1:1 (Gigabyte probably lists this as 2:1 in BIOS).
If this is all true you have 2 choices:
a) Raise the Vram to the memory spec value which should be in the 2.0-2.1 range, or
b) Sync the ram so it runs at 533 (actual 266) and leave the voltage and timings stock.
My choice would be b.
If you roll back to the older BIOS version you will still have this issue until you fix the default settings.

Reaction score
Newf said:
When you flashed the new BIOS, all the default settings returned.
You are running a 1066 FSB system (actual 266 MHz) with ram spd of 800 (Actual 400) Mhz at stock vram.
My guess is that the Gigabyte BIOS sees the ram as DDR2-800 and desyncs it from the FSB to run at a (listed) 800 speed.
At the stock 1.8v you get hiccups.
Your cpu only needs DDR2-533 ram to sync at 1:1 (Gigabyte probably lists this as 2:1 in BIOS).
If this is all true you have 2 choices:
a) Raise the Vram to the memory spec value which should be in the 2.0-2.1 range, or
b) Sync the ram so it runs at 533 (actual 266) and leave the voltage and timings stock.
My choice would be b.
If you roll back to the older BIOS version you will still have this issue until you fix the default settings.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I never had this problem before I did this update to the latest I was using F11 before I updated to F12. F11 seemed to work fine, I defaulted all the settings in BIOS.

Reaction score
Hi,

This problem as returned again, I have not downgraded the BIOS yet, I'll try this next could this be linked to bad RAM or bad slot on the mainboard??

Edit 10mins later it boots into windows?

Any help welcome

Thanks,

Wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
wizkid said:
This problem as returned again, I have not downgraded the BIOS yet, I'll try this next could this be linked to bad RAM or bad slot on the mainboard??
Could be. Did you load "Optimized Defaults" then save and exit after the BIOS upgrade? This is what Gigabyte usually wants you to do since it will re-initialize all the hardware. THEN you can go back into BIOS setup and check/fix the ram settings. We need to know what changes you have made and what the ram settings are or this is just guesswork.

Reaction score
Newf said:
Could be. Did you load "Optimized Defaults" then save and exit after the BIOS upgrade? This is what Gigabyte usually wants you to do since it will re-initialize all the hardware. THEN you can go back into BIOS setup and check/fix the ram settings. We need to know what changes you have made and what the ram settings are or this is just guesswork.

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

All the settings are in the BIOS are defualts for RAM timtings I have not changed any setttings in the BIOS, I have also loadded Optimized Defaults none of which have made any differnce to this. I am currently testing the 3rd ram moudle one more to go. If the tests come back fine for the ram. Shall I go ahead and start testing the HDDS?

Reaction score
Well then we are back to my first post and the question:
What does the BIOS set your default ram timings at?
My Gigabyte board tries to run DDR2-800 ram at full speed (400MHz) at stock voltage.
This is unstable. I cut the speed back to 333 which equals DDR2-667 without changing voltage and all is fine.
2 sticks of DDR2 running dual channel interleaved at 333MHz syncs with the quad pumped FSB default of 1333MHz perfectly, giving the system all the memory bandwidth it needs. My BIOS reports this as 2:1 and a speed of 667.
The equivalent for your system would be 2 sticks with reported speeds of 533 at 2:1 and approx 1.8 volts.

Reaction score
Newf said:
Well then we are back to my first post and the question:
What does the BIOS set your default ram timings at?
My Gigabyte board tries to run DDR2-800 ram at full speed (400MHz) at stock voltage.
This is unstable. I cut the speed back to 333 which equals DDR2-667 without changing voltage and all is fine.
2 sticks of DDR2 running dual channel interleaved at 333MHz syncs with the quad pumped FSB default of 1333MHz perfectly, giving the system all the memory bandwidth it needs. My BIOS reports this as 2:1 and a speed of 667.
The equivalent for your system would be 2 sticks with reported speeds of 533 at 2:1 and approx 1.8 volts.

Hi,

This is really odd as this system has worked over a year with all this hardware and default settings with no problems at all this has only started happening a few months ago.

Reaction score
I was tearing my hair out over my old system I had this problem and believe me I was really irritated. Do you remember a thread I created here about that?

I never did find out what the cause was I put it down to a bad motherboard and the stupid southern electric man in the end.

It used to hang after it found the CPU sounds a little similar. 9 out of 10 times it would fail to get into the OS.

Are you sure none of these power pins are causing this problem? If you really can't solve this I suggest taking the whole thing apart and starting with the basics. Remove all pci cards, HDD's, any other cables just put everything in with enough to get a POST. Also take the board out of the case if possible.

If you can't be asked with that check out those pins good luck dude.

Reaction score
psd99 said:
I was tearing my hair out over my old system I had this problem and believe me I was really irritated. Do you remember a thread I created here about that?

I never did find out what the cause was I put it down to a bad motherboard and the stupid southern electric man in the end.

It used to hang after it found the CPU sounds a little similar. 9 out of 10 times it would fail to get into the OS.

Are you sure none of these power pins are causing this problem? If you really can't solve this I suggest taking the whole thing apart and starting with the basics. Remove all pci cards, HDD's, any other cables just put everything in with enough to get a POST. Also take the board out of the case if possible.

If you can't be asked with that check out those pins good luck dude.

Hi psd99,

I do remember the thread that you are talking about. I will take the thing apart tomorrow and rebuild it with the basics in, I will also check the power pins before I proceed with the re build. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
So you reckon if I change the settings for the RAM in your first post this should correct the post hangs?
Well it is the first thing I would check since it is so easy to do and will not require any hardware disassembly or diagnosis. Do you have a problem with entering the BIOS setup and just looking at it? If I'm wrong then you have only wasted 3 or 4 minutes...

Reaction score
Newf said:
Well it is the first thing I would check since it is so easy to do and will not require any hardware disassembly or diagnosis. Do you have a problem with entering the BIOS setup and just looking at it? If I'm wrong then you have only wasted 3 or 4 minutes...

Hi,

I will check this as well. I have not tried entering the BIOS when it has hanged so I don't know if I can enter the BIOS or not. When it hangs it seats there for about 10mins and then boots into Windows or sometimes it will just stay there.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, so i've only read the last few posts here so forgive me if this has been covered....

Whizz: You havce the Geil ULL RAM, the same as me, and i see you have all BIOS settings at default.

In the pack for the RAM did you see the note that said the RAM needs 2.1 volts? I had to up it from 1.8 to 2.1 and adjust the timings to get it 100% stable.

Worth a shot. :)

Reaction score
V_R said:
Ok, so i've only read the last few posts here so forgive me if this has been covered....

Whizz: You havce the Geil ULL RAM, the same as me, and i see you have all BIOS settings at default.

In the pack for the RAM did you see the note that said the RAM needs 2.1 volts? I had to up it from 1.8 to 2.1 and adjust the timings to get it 100% stable.

Worth a shot. :)

Hi V_R,

Thanks for your reply.

Any ideas on where I can find this option in the BIOS? I have lost the mainboard manual, but I am gonna download it again.

Edit Is the settings that needs to be changed under System Memory Mutiplier?

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh BTW, on GB boards you need to open up the 'hidden' advanced settings, press CTRL + F1 IIRC. ;)

Have a look here....

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/ga965p_dq6/4.html

The screen below is the one you want....

0403.jpg

Ask a Question