Memory usage at 98%

Reaction score
Hi,

I turned my pc on this evening and the memory usage is at 98% this happened when I did a virus scan, but it never gets to 98%. This is really odd it was fine a few days ago I have not changed anything or installed anything. Could this be a hardware fault somewhere? This is on the system in my sig.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
feckit said:
Seems strange?
Any programs running in the background??

Hi feckit,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems to have gone back to 30% now. I had Kodak, MSN Core Temp and Power ISO running in the background, this has never been a problem before. I am going to reboot and see if it comes back again, think I am going to get a better CPU fan as its running between 41 and 46c at idle.

Thanks,

Wiz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry Wiz, I'm not surprised it peaks at that during a scan :) Run task manager next time it goes high and find out which processes are using up most of the CPU. A C2D at 41-46C idle doesn't sound too bad to me - what is it under load?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I wouldn't worry Wiz, I'm not surprised it peaks at that during a scan :) Run task manager next time it goes high and find out which processes are using up most of the CPU. A C2D at 41-46C idle doesn't sound too bad to me - what is it under load?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply

Its 57C when under load. I'll check and see what process are using the most CPU usage, the memory usage is staying at about 30-40 now not 98% not sure why that was?

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it mate..I get similar sometimes...Sometimes certain programs can update or search for updates even when you are not runing them Photoshop CS3 is good at doing this and chews a chunk of memory %..Comp might also be doing Microsoft update searches if you have it set to auto..Again another theing that chews up memory %

Reaction score
Hi Madx,

Thanks for your reply.

All seems well still, must have just been a one off. Will let you know if it comes back.

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question