Hard Drive Shucking

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone here bought an external HDD to "shuck" (i.e. remove from the external shell and turn in to a normal SATA drive)?

Amazon had an offer on an external 8TB drive for £119 a few days ago and I was sorely tempted to buy it, simply to take apart and use the drive in my NAS. It's a far cheaper way to get drives.

However, it's at the expense of the warranty and the drive inside could be anything.

Has anyone tried this before? If so, was the drive inside any good? I've heard some people getting WD Reds, which would be ideal for a NAS :D.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not tried it myself. Sounds like a bit of a gamble, are you a betting man? :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not tried it myself. Sounds like a bit of a gamble, are you a betting man? :D

Not really, but at that price I am tempted :lol:. Next time I need to upgrade the storage, I'm going to give it a whirl with one drive and see what it's like.

Reaction score
Surely if you buy a reputable brand there would be a reputable drive inside?

Wouldn't WD insert their own brand in a case?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I'd expect to see their own brand inside - but sometimes it's high-quality NAS/server drives inside, other times it's noisy lower performing drives. The one I was looking at used to come with drives that would be ideal for 24/7 running, but now it's a much slower drive apparently.

Ask a Question