Hangs for 2 minutes after startup

This is the second time I'v asked this question and I don't think that I was
very clear so I'll reask it again. My XP Pro hangs for 2-3 minutes "after"
everything is loaded up in the lower right hand corner which is only
messenger, antivirus and HP printer. Thats all I have in the start up. For
that 2-3 minute hang time I can click on anything but it will not load up
untill the 2-3 minutes is up. My system is clean of viruses, adware,
spyware, defraged etc......... I'm an advanced user and need more tecnical
help on this issue. I don't know what the issue is and I think that I have
tried everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

Mike Lewis

Are you connected to a network while booting? Also, did you check the event
log to see what messages might be coming out during this hang time? Sounds
like the computer is having a problem loading something and then times out.

Ted Zieglar

Open Task Manager and see what process(es) is/are occupying the computer's
time while it appears to be hanging.

Hello, I am not any kind of systems person, but I would check to see if your
antivirus/spyware/adware programs are set to do a startup scan. Most of the
popular virus, spyware, and ad blocking programs have a check option in
their config menus to perform a "start up" scan... My own experience has
been that as well intentioned as they are, they do more or less prevent you
from doing anything until they have completed their work. This is a YMMV
decision as to whether you want to run all of these scans at startup (If my
diagnosis is correct, lol).

zombie

Tim (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
(e-mail address removed):
This is the second time I'v asked this question and I don't think
that I was very clear so I'll reask it again. My XP Pro hangs for
2-3 minutes "after" everything is loaded up in the lower right hand
corner which is only messenger, antivirus and HP printer. Thats all
I have in the start up. For that 2-3 minute hang time I can click on
anything but it will not load up untill the 2-3 minutes is up. My
system is clean of viruses, adware, spyware, defraged etc.........
I'm an advanced user and need more tecnical help on this issue. I
don't know what the issue is and I think that I have tried everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

Unplug everything [except the machine], then boot.

Install BootVis to determine what is causing the hang.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:20
05-09,GGGL:en&q=bootvis

Uninstall and reseat the NIC.

Uninstall and reinstall drivers for modem.

Process of elimination.

--
zombie computers.Inc
zombie computers.Pty.Ltd

q_q_anonymous

Tim said:
This is the second time I'v asked this question and I don't think that I was
very clear so I'll reask it again. My XP Pro hangs for 2-3 minutes "after"
everything is loaded up in the lower right hand corner which is only
messenger, antivirus and HP printer. Thats all I have in the start up. For
that 2-3 minute hang time I can click on anything but it will not load up
untill the 2-3 minutes is up. My system is clean of viruses, adware,
spyware, defraged etc......... I'm an advanced user and need more tecnical
help on this issue. I don't know what the issue is and I think that I have
tried everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

as ppl have said, event viewer, processes cpu % (ctrl-alt-delete) ,

and a boot log analyzer , that will most probably tell you exactly what
file it is hanging on. I noticed somebody recommended bootvis. I've
had better and great experiences with the analyzer called bootlogxp by
greatitis
http://www.greatis.com/bootlogxp.zip

Thanks, it would appear that my DVD burner was the issue. I just noticed
that the tray will not open anymore and I think that the drive is dead.
Thats what was causeing the hang after startup.. Thanks everyone for your
suggestions and Zombie....You da Man ! ! !

Tim