Newsgroups Access

Lou

Have the links to newsgroups/default all been shut
down? Had hard time finding this place as most links want
NET Passport to sign in first. Is this related to SP2
changes or tighting access to newsgroups. Have no NET
Passport or Outlook Express. Please don't write back that
I should use them. Thanks for any insight as to what has
happened since I was here last in August.

Thanks again

Michael Stevens

Lou said:
Have the links to newsgroups/default all been shut
down? Had hard time finding this place as most links want
NET Passport to sign in first. Is this related to SP2
changes or tighting access to newsgroups. Have no NET
Passport or Outlook Express. Please don't write back that
I should use them. Thanks for any insight as to what has
happened since I was here last in August.

Thanks again

You can access and read posts in the newsgroups, but you must sign in to
post. This is pretty much a standard practice with web based forums, and is
a welcome addition to these newsgroups because of the abuse the anonyminity
the web based format has allowed malicious posters. If you want to seriously
use the newsgroups, setup a newsreader. You don't need a .NET password, and
you can put any email alias you want the other posters to see.
See the link in my signature for tips to help get you started using Outlook
Express newsreader [Outlook uses OE Newsreader for it's newsreader].
Additional tips for setup.
When setting up the newsgroups, uncheck the box to specify the number of
headers to download. For very popular newsgroups like this one [1000+ posts
a day] it is best to download all the "headers" [not messages] on the
initial download of headers. The status bar if available will give an
estimated number of headers to download, and it is usually much much larger
than the actual number downloaded. I just reset my general group and the
estimated number was over 1 million, but the actual number was 80,000+. This
will take a significant amount of time, but it is a one time download and
you will only need to download new headers each time you open OE newsreader.
Check the Help files to familiarize yourself with the time saving option you
can set.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

Lou:

The Web CDO interface is a very poor way to access News Groups.'
The following URL will take you "HERE" via your default News Client...

Dave