new provider and newsgroups

johngood_____

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

johngood_____ wrote
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

For text only:

Free:

news.motzarella.org

news.albasani.net

Are two and have been reliable all the time I've used them.

Then there's news.individual.net for ¤10 (Ten Euro) per year. When I used
them in the past, they were reliable.

For binaries, afraid someone else will have to answer there.

Bob Eager

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

news.individual.net

Frankly, if this new provider thinks RSS feeds are a viable alternative,
I wouldn't use them!

Bruce Hagen

johngood_____ said:
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I
might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to
Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the
inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a
search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

Free and Public Usenet News Servers:
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

Find a news server at:
http://www.newzbot.com/

George

johngood_____ said:
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Newsgroups is not a profitable business for ISP's. It's better to
access NG directly using a good NG reader like Thunderbird or whatever
or even browsing Google Groups.

Graham.

johngood_____ said:
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I
might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to
Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the
inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a
search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

I have been very satisfied with the free one I am using.
http://news.motzarella.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php

<hint>
They do however impose a limit on the number of groups
a you can x-post to, so it might not be ideal for you .
<\hint>

Barb

For text only:

Free:

news.motzarella.org

news.albasani.net

Are two and have been reliable all the time I've used them.

Then there's news.individual.net for ¤10 (Ten Euro) per year. When I used
them in the past, they were reliable.

For binaries, afraid someone else will have to answer there.

I concur - I'm on Sky, which doesn't have any usenet access, and I'm now
using motzarella with OE, which works fine for text. I subscribe to
EasyNews for binaries - been with them for years, cheap and reliable.

Barb UK

Bob Eager

Newsgroups is not a profitable business for ISP's. It's better to
access NG directly using a good NG reader like Thunderbird or whatever
or even browsing Google Groups.

What do you mean 'directly'? You still need to find a server...

George

Bob said:
What do you mean 'directly'? You still need to find a server...

Many years ago ISP's used newsgroups servers as a repository within the
Usenet system. Individual users read from and post messages to a local
server operated by their ISP. The servers then exchanged the messages
between other servers, so that they were available to readers beyond the
original server. Most ISP's do not run those servers anymore, so you
must access newsgroups servers directly using whatever client you wish.

George Weston

George said:
Many years ago ISP's used newsgroups servers as a repository within the
Usenet system. Individual users read from and post messages to a local
server operated by their ISP. The servers then exchanged the messages
between other servers, so that they were available to readers beyond the
original server. Most ISP's do not run those servers anymore, so you must
access newsgroups servers directly using whatever client you wish.

Very many still do.
BT, Plusnet - to name but two.

George

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

John wrote
Hey, Welcome - can you please explain your sig in a bit more detail? I live
in Preston and I'm on BT Internet (or whatever they're calling themselves
this week) but a neighbour four doors down is on Virgin cable, so I'm
curious now.

John

Sure, no worries:-

Virgin Media Technical Support - Karl Rio wrote
Hi,

I know there have been many queries regarding STM (Traffic Management), and
below is the official statement regarding changes to the STM policy.

If you have any questions or comments, please can I ask that you post these
in the Feedback group (virginmedia.feedback) to keep the support groups
clear for the team to respond to service affecting issues. This has been
cross-posted to feedback.

Thankyou.

STM Statement:

· As part of our continued efforts to improve our customer's broadband
experience we are continuing to trial measures which will more efficiently
and pro-actively manage network traffic.

· As part of our continued efforts to improve our customer's broadband
experience, we are making changes to the current Traffic Management Policy
within certain trial regions.

· This updated policy will be trialed within the following regions
Preston, Wigan, Blackpool, Camden, Dalston, Enfield and Haringey.

· These measures are based on policies that detect traffic patterns
that are deemed potentially abnormal and apply traffic management rules to
ensure that other customers are not adversely affected by this traffic.

· The trial aims to prevent or reduce the effects of a minority of
users abusing the network and preventing the majority of subscribers from
having the network performance they desire.

· For the vast majority of customers, upwards of 95% of the base,
their experience will be a more consistent speed (both upload and download).

· Those who have the policies applied to their connection will
experience their download / upload speed being constrained (less than 5%
affected). Breach of acceptable use policy may lead to these policies being
applied.

· These optimisation policies are being trialed during the following
times where the potential for abnormal traffic has been identified as having
the greatest adverse impact on our customers' experience.

10am - 3pm Download only
4pm - 9pm Download
3pm - 8pm Upload

During these times the following thresholds will be applied for upstream and
downstream.

10am - 3pm Download
Size M: 900Mb
Size L: 2400Mb
Size XL: 6000Mb

4pm - 9pm Download
Size M: 450Mb
Size L:1200Mb
Size XL: 3000Mb

3pm - 8pm Upload
Size M: 200Mb
Size L: 700Mb
Size XL: 1400Mb

If you hit these limits your broadband connection will be throttled at the
speeds of that of which the STM applies for users in other areas.

http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/stm.html

2Mbit users get throttled for 5 hours down to 1Mbit
4Mbit users get throttled for 5 hours down to 1Mbit
10Mbit users get throttled for 5 hours down to 2.5Mbit
20Mbit users get throttled for 5 hours down to 5Mbit.

The standard hours where VM check for the amount you download or upload are
16:00 - 21:00 this means you can get hit once per 24 hours with slow speeds
for 5 hours.

In the areas mentioned above the hours they check for the amount you
download or upload are 10:00 - 21:00 so you could get hit a couple of times
with slow speeds for 5 hours a time.

SteveH

George said:
Many years ago ISP's used newsgroups servers as a repository within the
Usenet system. Individual users read from and post messages to a local
server operated by their ISP. The servers then exchanged the messages
between other servers, so that they were available to readers beyond the
original server. Most ISP's do not run those servers anymore, so you
must access newsgroups servers directly using whatever client you wish.

Care to expain what the hell it is you're wibbling on about? - 'cos it
looks like complete nonsense to me.

Kenny

I dropped Wanadoo some time ago because they dropped their newsserver.
Signed up with Madasafish and happy with them so far. I have an "up to
8meg" speed and a 20Gb monthly allowance for £17.99. That's split 10Gb news
and 10Gb internet.
For downloading binaries you'll need something other than OE. I'm using
Newsbin Pro but there aoters like Forte Agent.

Bob Eager

Many years ago ISP's used newsgroups servers as a repository within the
Usenet system. Individual users read from and post messages to a local
server operated by their ISP. The servers then exchanged the messages
between other servers, so that they were available to readers beyond the
original server. Most ISP's do not run those servers anymore, so you
must access newsgroups servers directly using whatever client you wish.

I'm perfectly aware of how it works; I was using newsgroups in 1982.

It didn't sound as if you did; you implied direct access to the
newsgroup, as if it lived in one place. That's all.

thanatoid

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I
think that I might sign up with. But they tell me that they
do not provide access to Newsgroup via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want
the inconvenience of accessing Newsgroups through Google;
is there a reasonably priced and easy way for me to get to
the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I phoned up
the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a
search on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any
way with Newsgroups as far as I can see. Thanks for any
advice.

Frankly, I wasn't sure if you weren't having us all on, since
the statement above is so full of confusion and misinformation
that I thought you were a troll.

All Internet Surveillance Providers used to offer Usenet access
as part of the basic package, MANY MOONS ago. As a smaller and
smaller /percentage/ of internet users access the Usenet, many
have dropped that service and others will continue to do so.
Those that still provide it do a lousy job with limited groups,
low retention, and no service.

ANY computer with a newsreader program can access ANY Usenet
server in the world, it's just like visiting a web site
anywhere. I use www.usenetrocket.com which has a 6GB/$7.50 (for
TEN years) pay-as-you-go plan. Whenever you need more, you buy
more. If you don't access their server for three months, it
costs you nothing. Retention is 2-3 months plus depending on
groups, more than enough for anyone IMO.

If you are not interested in binaries, you just might be able to
get 10 years of Usenet for $7.50. The service is second to none
since it's a small operation by a person who cares about his
customers. Try getting ANY service from some of the "big"
premium providers.

Xnews is an excellent though slightly complicated free
newsreader. GrabIt is a less excellent but super-simple free
newsreader - it's more of a binary grabber than a post-oriented
program, but you CAN post with it, and needless to say, read
text as well.

--
Of course, it is no easy matter to be polite; in so far, I mean,
as it requires us to show great respect for everybody, whereas

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Ken Blake, MVP

In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might
sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access to Newsgroup
via Outlook Express.

It's not really that they don't provide access "via Outlook Express."
It's rather that they don't provide a news server. so you can't access
*their* news server at all, whether via Outlook Express or any other
newsreader.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience
of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a reasonably priced and
easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please. I
phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds, I did a search
on this but it doesn't seem to me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as
far as I can see. Thanks for any advice.

If you want to use these Microsoft newsgroups, the best way to get to
them is via Microsoft's news server, msnews.microsoft.com. You can use
that with Outlook Express (or any newsreader), even with your ISP.

If you want to access other, non-Microsoft, newsgroups, such as those
in the alt. hierarchy, try the free news.motzarella.org news server,
which also works with Outlook Express or any newsreader.

Rod Speed

mcheu said:
Does this mean that they don't provide NNTP access or that they just
don't support Outlook Express? If they do provide NNTP groups
access, then you can set up Outlook yourself. You just need for them
to give you the address for the NNTP/Usenet server. Just don't expect
them to answer any support questions about it.

If your chosen ISP doesn't provide an NNTP feed, the cheapest option
other than finding another ISP might be a Teranews 'free' account --
they charge a 3.95 setup fee, so it's not totally free anymore and
it's limited to 50megs of transfer a day. So long as you don't read
a lot of groups or hit the binary groups, that should be ok, but keep
an eye on it, as they want users to pay for overages. They charge a
monthly fee for their premium accounts, which allow more transfer, and
probably have better retention.

http://www.teranews.com/

Giganews is another option for a paid NNTP server.
http://www.giganews.com

The big advantage to going with an outside paid NNTP feed is that they
tend to be more complete, with longer retention periods and faster
download speeds. The NNTP servers offered by ISPs tend to be
throttled (ie. slower) and have shorter retention periods to disuade
people from using the binary groups. However, in the long run, if
those aren't issues for you, finding another ISP that includes an NNTP
feed in the subscription service is going to be a lot cheaper.

Rod Speed

johngood_____ said:
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I might sign up with. But they tell me that they
do not provide access to Newsgroup via Outlook Express.
Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the inconvenience of accessing Newsgroups through Google;
is there a reasonably priced and easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using this new provider please.

Yes, there are plenty of commercial newsgroup providers that work fine with OE.
I phoned up the technical line and they said to use RSS feeds,

They're fools.

HeyBub

johngood_____ said:
In looking around for another ISP, I've found one that I think that I
might sign up with. But they tell me that they do not provide access
to Newsgroup via Outlook Express.

Since I want to regularly access Newsgroups and don't want the
inconvenience of accessing Newsgroups through Google; is there a
reasonably priced and easy way for me to get to the Newsgroups using
this new provider please. I phoned up the technical line and they
said to use RSS feeds, I did a search on this but it doesn't seem to
me to connect in any way with Newsgroups as far as I can see. Thanks
for any advice.

Hundreds. Google "news+servers" yields over 7 million hits.

On the larger question of the competency of your prospective ISP, on a scale
of one-to-ten, I'd rate them somewhere near the baked-beans aisle.