Accessibility using NNPT based Newsgroups.

Ibex

My OS is WinXP Pro SP3.
I reside in a less developed part of SEAsia. I used to be on a dial-up
connection but about 9 months ago changed Internet Service Provider (ISP)
who is providing me now with an ADSL connection of variable speed.

Since about 3 weeks or so, all of a sudden I am unable downloading/sending
messages from various NNPT based Newsgroups. But accessing (browsing) the
Internet and e-mail facilities is not a problem at all.

The ISP technicians came to my place 3 times but could not find the problem,
in fact they knew little about Newsgroups. They finally suggested replacing
the router which was provided by the ISP. Well, I purchased a 'Linksys
WAG200G' router but the problem still persists.

So, I took my computer to a repair shop but the technicians could not find
anything wrong with my computer either. The technicians then connected my
computer to a *different* ISP and everything went fine - The access of
Newsgroups and downloading/retrieving and sending of messages went without
any problems.

Then I recalled that I still have some hours left on my old dial-up
connection from my previous ISP. I re-established this connection and as
with the different ISP connection, I am able accessing Newsgroups and
retrieving/sending messages.
(This messages is send using my dial-up connection).

I am not a technical person but based on the above I suspect that my
existing ISP has for inexplicable reasons decided to block the access to
Newsgroups.

I talked to the ISP customer services people at their head offices but they
don't appear to understand the problem. I explained that Newsgroups connect
to a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNPT) using exclusively port 119 and
the ISP is most likely blocking this from executing.

I even provided pertinent links and information, but it seems that all this
is either not read or just not understood and appreciated.

Since I am not a techie, could somebody please help me out here and advise
if my technical reason is sound or need to be refined. Or, if I am wrong
and the reason for not being able accessing newsgroups lies somewhere else
and/or should be communicated (technically) differently.
And, is it possible to perform some kind of test in order to provide
evidence that the fault lies with the ISP and is not related to the settings
of my operating system. I then could hopefully get the ISP either to fix the
problem or get them to release me from my subscription contract without
incurring any penalties.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
TIA.

Nightowl

Hello Ibex
I talked to the ISP customer services people at their head offices but
they don't appear to understand the problem. I explained that
Newsgroups connect to a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNPT) using
exclusively port 119 and the ISP is most likely blocking this from
executing.

You didn't say where you were getting your newsgroup access from -- I
mean from which server. Were you using one provided by your ISP, or had
you subscribed to a service from a third-party provider and were trying
to connect to its NNTP server?

If as you say the ISP didn't seem to know much about newsgroups, it
sounds likely they're simply not providing a news server, or have
stopped doing so. Many don't these days.
I even provided pertinent links and information, but it seems that all
this is either not read or just not understood and appreciated.

Since I am not a techie, could somebody please help me out here and
advise if my technical reason is sound or need to be refined. Or, if
I am wrong and the reason for not being able accessing newsgroups lies
somewhere else and/or should be communicated (technically) differently.

Can you give us more information? Like name of ISP, name of the news
server you were trying to connect to, etc.
And, is it possible to perform some kind of test in order to provide
evidence that the fault lies with the ISP and is not related to the
settings of my operating system. I then could hopefully get the ISP
either to fix the problem or get them to release me from my
subscription contract without incurring any penalties.

Try setting your news program to access this group:
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) from the server
msnews.microsoft.com . If that works, then there's no "blocking" being
done and the problem may be that you've been trying to connect to the
wrong news server or a non-existent one.

Let us know what you find out :)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

[Crossposted to Windows Live Mail newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop]

You managed to post to WinXP General (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
newsgroup via the Microsoft newsserver (news.msnews.microsoft.com) using
Windows Live Mail as your News Client, and I assume you were connected via
your new ADSL ISP when you posted.

This leads me to suspect that you're only having problems when accessing
newsgroups via the newsserver your new ISP provides (which your ISP may or
may not own). What newsserver is it (e.g., news.MyNewISP.com)?

Can you successfully access newsgroups on the following newsserver? =>
news://news.mozilla.org/ (just click on the link; no password required)

Other free newsgroups: http://www.nyx.net/~bkraft/ & http://www.newzbot.com/

Allan

Ibex said:
[...]

You could resubscribe to dial-up just to be able to access Usenet groups
easily. That is what some users in North America do in case their high-speed
ISP does not provide Usenet to its clients. I am in NA and still using
dial-up exclusively.

Calab

Open a command prompt and try "telnet newsservername 110"... Replacing
newsservername with the address of your NNTP server.

You should get a welcome message similar to "200 Welcome to xxx news
service" If you don't, your connection to the server is blocked, or the
server is offline.

Try to ping the NNTP server as well.

Ibex

Calab said:
Open a command prompt and try "telnet newsservername 110"... Replacing
newsservername with the address of your NNTP server.

Just to clarify, the is 110 or should it be 119?
You should get a welcome message similar to "200 Welcome to xxx news
service" If you don't, your connection to the server is blocked, or the
server is offline.

Try to ping the NNTP server as well.

How can I do this please?

Ibex

Hi PA Bear.

PA Bear said:
[Crossposted to Windows Live Mail newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop]

You managed to post to WinXP General (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
newsgroup via the Microsoft newsserver (news.msnews.microsoft.com) using
Windows Live Mail as your News Client, and I assume you were connected via
your new ADSL ISP when you posted.

No, your assumption is incorrect. As stated in my original post "(This
messages is send using my dial-up connection)."
This leads me to suspect that you're only having problems when accessing
newsgroups via the newsserver your new ISP provides (which your ISP may or
may not own). What newsserver is it (e.g., news.MyNewISP.com)?

The names of News Server are:
msnews.microsoft.com
news.aioe.org
and
privatenews.microsoft.com
The name of News Reader is Windows Live Mail.
The above are *not* provided by the ISP.
Can you successfully access newsgroups on the following newsserver? =>
news://news.mozilla.org/ (just click on the link; no password required)

Yes, I tried and could do this successfully. But only when using my dial-up
connection from a different ISP.

I am unable to access *any* NNTP based Newsgroups when using my ISP who
provides ADSL connection.
However, I am able to access *all* NNTP based Newsgroups when using a
*different* ISP who provides dial-up connection.

Ibex

Thanks for response, Nightowl.

Nightowl said:
Hello Ibex

You didn't say where you were getting your newsgroup access from -- I mean
from which server. Were you using one provided by your ISP, or had you
subscribed to a service from a third-party provider and were trying to
connect to its NNTP server?

I access Newsgroups using Windows Live Mail as Newsreader and
msnews.microsoft.com as News Server and also use other News Server using the
same News Reader; My ISP did not provide these.
If as you say the ISP didn't seem to know much about newsgroups, it sounds
likely they're simply not providing a news server, or have stopped doing
so. Many don't these days.

Can you give us more information? Like name of ISP, name of the news
server you were trying to connect to, etc.

The name of ISP is MaxNet. The names of News Server are:
msnews.microsoft.com
news.aioe.org
and
privatenews.microsoft.com
The name of News Reader is Windows Live Mail.
Try setting your news program to access this group:
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) from the server msnews.microsoft.com
. If that works, then there's no "blocking" being done and the problem may
be that you've been trying to connect to the wrong news server or a
non-existent one.

See above responses. The blocking occurs only when using MaxNet ADSL
connection. The blocking does not occur when using dial-up connection from a
different ISP. This is only a recent occurrence, I used to be able
accessing Newsgroups with MaxNet until about 3 weeks ago.

Gary VanderMolen

If you have the Telnet client installed in your copy of Windows,
go to a Command Prompt and try

telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119

Do you get a banner reply from the NNTP server?
If not, your ISP may be blocking port 119, which is very unusual.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Ibex said:
Hi PA Bear.

PA Bear said:
[...]

Here is the response I got:

" 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed "

I tried accessing Newsgroups again using Microsoft Live Mail and 40tude but
without success :(

Gary VanderMolen said:
If you have the Telnet client installed in your copy of Windows,
go to a Command Prompt and try

telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119

Do you get a banner reply from the NNTP server?
If not, your ISP may be blocking port 119, which is very unusual.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Ibex said:
Hi PA Bear.

Ibex wrote:
[...]

Here is what I got:

" 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed "

I tried accessing NNTP based Newsgroups again using the ADSL connection
provided by my ISP but without success. This message was sent by dial-up
connection using a different ISP.
Any other suggestion as how to lick this problem?
Rgds,

Gary VanderMolen said:
If you have the Telnet client installed in your copy of Windows,
go to a Command Prompt and try

telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119

Do you get a banner reply from the NNTP server?
If not, your ISP may be blocking port 119, which is very unusual.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Ibex said:
Hi PA Bear.

Ibex wrote:
[...]

If you're getting any errors messages when you try to access the newsgroups
via your new ADSL ISP, post the errors in their entirety, please.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Gary VanderMolen said:
If you have the Telnet client installed in your copy of Windows,
go to a Command Prompt and try

telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119

Do you get a banner reply from the NNTP server?
If not, your ISP may be blocking port 119, which is very unusual.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Hi PA Bear.

Ibex wrote:
[...]

Interesting. At least we now know that port 119 is not blocked.
I don't have any other suggestions at this point.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Here is what I got:

Gary VanderMolen said:
If you have the Telnet client installed in your copy of Windows,
go to a Command Prompt and try

telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119

Do you get a banner reply from the NNTP server?
If not, your ISP may be blocking port 119, which is very unusual.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Hi PA Bear.

Ibex wrote:
[...]

PA Bear,

Error Messages - Windows Live Mail:
(1)
Your NNPT (Network News Transfer Protocol) server has not responded in 60
seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to
respond?

Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com

Ibex note: When clicking on to YES the same message will pop - up about 60
seconds later...

(2)
Windows Live Mail cannot connect to the Internet, possibly because an
antivirus or firewall program won't allow it. Make sure any antivirus or
firewall programs on your computer allow Windows Live Mail (wlmail.exe) to
access the Internet.
Configuration:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119

Ibex note: KAV 7 was configured to allow to allow WLM to the Internet as is
my Linksys router and wlmail.exe is in the exception list of my Windows
Firewall. Also, I just uninstalled KAV7 and replaced it with NOD32.

Error Messages 40tude Dialog Newsreader:
(1)
The application C:\Program Files\40tude Dialog.exe cannot establish
connection with server 207.46.248.16 Please check your Internet connection
settings. If you have a firewall installed, check that the application
avp.exe is allowed internet access.

Ibex note: http://whois.domaintools.com/207.46.248.16

(2)
Network Error (tcp_error)
A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems
preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a
later time.
For assistance, contact your network support team.

(3)
Read Timeout [msnews.microsoft.com] [Finished]
Socket Error # 10057; Socket is nor connected. [msnews.microsoft.com]
[Finished]

Ibex note: I can access *all* Newsgroups without *any* problems when
switching to another ISP using dial-up connection. This makes me believe
that:
a) The error messages may be meaningless
and
b) My ISP who is providing me with the ADSL connection may be blocking NNTP
services. If so, what would be the best way to prove that they are blocking
NNTP services?

Rgds,

Ibex wrote:
[...]

Gary,
FYI, I tried this as well:
(1)
telnet news.grc.com 119
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>telnet news.grc.com 119
Connecting To news.grc.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port
119: Connect failed

(2)
telnet news.aioe.org 119
200 aioe.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.4 (20080128 snapshot) ready
(posting ok).
Connection to host lost.

(3)
telnet privatenews.microsoft.com 119

Gary VanderMolen said:
Interesting. At least we now know that port 119 is not blocked.
I don't have any other suggestions at this point.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Here is what I got:

Ibex wrote:
[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

Ibex said:
Here is the response I got:

" 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed "

I tried accessing Newsgroups again using Microsoft Live Mail and 40tude but
without success :(

Does 40tude have any better diagnostics than either OE or WLMail?

Alternatively you could use netcap and Ethereal to see exactly what
is going on.

In any case, a better simulation of what happens before you see
any logging by the Microsoft products would be to issue a LIST
command. Perhaps the amount of output that generates is more
than your new ISP will allow? In order to avoid that being done
normally you could _uncheck_ (in Options, General tab):

Notify me if there are any new newsgroups

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Allan

Ibex said:
Just to clarify, the is 110 or should it be 119?

How can I do this please?
Open a command window inside Explorer by selecting "Start|Run" and typing
"cmd" in the box. Then type "ping msnews.microsoft.com" or "tracert
msnews.microsoft.com" and you should see some response.

Tim Slattery

Ibex said:
My OS is WinXP Pro SP3.
I reside in a less developed part of SEAsia. I used to be on a dial-up
connection but about 9 months ago changed Internet Service Provider (ISP)
who is providing me now with an ADSL connection of variable speed.
Since about 3 weeks or so, all of a sudden I am unable downloading/sending
messages from various NNPT based Newsgroups. But accessing (browsing) the
Internet and e-mail facilities is not a problem at all.

There's no problem with your computer then. There is very little
difference to your computer in using your web browser versus accessing
an NNTP server. If you have a problem with the newsgroups but not with
the browser or email, then it's overwhelmingly likely that it's the
NNTP server that has a problem, not you. So you have two choices:
somehow harass your ISP into fixing their NNTP server, or find another
one.
I am not a technical person but based on the above I suspect that my
existing ISP has for inexplicable reasons decided to block the access to
Newsgroups.

First off: is the NNTP server you're trying to use the one offered by
your ISP (assuming they offer one, not all do). If it's on a different
network - for example, if you're using your DSL connection to try to
access the NNTP server on your dial-up providers network - then you
are probably being locked out by the dial-up provider. ISPs who run
NNTP servers generally allow access only from their own networks, not
from anyplace on the net.