Accessibility using NNPT based Newsgroups.

Calab

Ibex said:
Here is the response I got:

" 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed "

This means that your computer IS connecting to the news server, so your
software should be able to access.

Try the TELNET again, and when you get the above prompt, type LIST

You should see a big bunch of newsgroups scroll up the screen. This will
tell you if your ISP is dropping the connection due to too much traffic.

At this point I would suspect the software that you are using. Have you
tried another newgroup client software?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Ibex note: I can access *all* Newsgroups without *any* problems when
switching to another ISP using dial-up connection. This makes me believe
that:
a) The error messages may be meaningless

The error messages are not meaningless.
and
b) My ISP who is providing me with the ADSL connection may be blocking
NNTP
services.

That, I suspect, is what the errors are telling us.
...If so, what would be the best way to prove that they are blocking
NNTP services?

I think you've already done so. Vote with your wallet: Cancel your
subscription and get another ISP.

What is the ISP, anyway?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Error Messages - Windows Live Mail:
(1)
Your NNPT (Network News Transfer Protocol) server has not responded in 60
seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to
respond?

Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com

Ibex note: When clicking on to YES the same message will pop - up about 60
seconds later...

(2)
Windows Live Mail cannot connect to the Internet, possibly because an
antivirus or firewall program won't allow it. Make sure any antivirus or
firewall programs on your computer allow Windows Live Mail (wlmail.exe) to
access the Internet.
Configuration:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119

Ibex note: KAV 7 was configured to allow to allow WLM to the Internet as
is
my Linksys router and wlmail.exe is in the exception list of my Windows
Firewall. Also, I just uninstalled KAV7 and replaced it with NOD32.

Error Messages 40tude Dialog Newsreader:
(1)
The application C:\Program Files\40tude Dialog.exe cannot establish
connection with server 207.46.248.16 Please check your Internet connection
settings. If you have a firewall installed, check that the application
avp.exe is allowed internet access.

Ibex note: http://whois.domaintools.com/207.46.248.16

(2)
Network Error (tcp_error)
A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems
preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a
later time.
For assistance, contact your network support team.

(3)
Read Timeout [msnews.microsoft.com] [Finished]
Socket Error # 10057; Socket is nor connected. [msnews.microsoft.com]
[Finished]

Ibex note: I can access *all* Newsgroups without *any* problems when
switching to another ISP using dial-up connection. This makes me believe
that:
a) The error messages may be meaningless
and
b) My ISP who is providing me with the ADSL connection may be blocking
NNTP
services. If so, what would be the best way to prove that they are
blocking
NNTP services?

Rgds,

PA Bear said:
If you're getting any errors messages when you try to access the
newsgroups via your new ADSL ISP, post the errors in their entirety,
please.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
Here is what I got:

" 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed
"

I tried accessing NNTP based Newsgroups again using the ADSL connection
provided by my ISP but without success. This message was sent by dial-up
connection using a different ISP.
Any other suggestion as how to lick this problem?
Rgds,

If you have the Telnet client installed in your copy of Windows,
go to a Command Prompt and try

telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119

Do you get a banner reply from the NNTP server?
If not, your ISP may be blocking port 119, which is very unusual.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Hi PA Bear.

[Crossposted to Windows Live Mail newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop]

You managed to post to WinXP General
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) newsgroup via the Microsoft
newsserver (news.msnews.microsoft.com) using Windows Live Mail as
your
News Client, and I assume you were connected via your new ADSL ISP
when
you posted.

No, your assumption is incorrect. As stated in my original post "(This
messages is send using my dial-up connection)."

This leads me to suspect that you're only having problems when
accessing
newsgroups via the newsserver your new ISP provides (which your ISP
may
or may not own). What newsserver is it (e.g., news.MyNewISP.com)?

The names of News Server are:
msnews.microsoft.com
news.aioe.org
and
privatenews.microsoft.com
The name of News Reader is Windows Live Mail.
The above are *not* provided by the ISP.

Can you successfully access newsgroups on the following newsserver?
=>
news://news.mozilla.org/ (just click on the link; no password
required)

Yes, I tried and could do this successfully. But only when using my
dial-up connection from a different ISP.

Other free newsgroups: http://www.nyx.net/~bkraft/ &
http://www.newzbot.com/

I am unable to access *any* NNTP based Newsgroups when using my ISP
who
provides ADSL connection.
However, I am able to access *all* NNTP based Newsgroups when using a
*different* ISP who provides dial-up connection.

Ibex wrote:
My OS is WinXP Pro SP3.
I reside in a less developed part of SEAsia. I used to be on a
dial-up
connection but about 9 months ago changed Internet Service Provider
(ISP)
who is providing me now with an ADSL connection of variable speed.

Since about 3 weeks or so, all of a sudden I am unable
downloading/sending
messages from various NNPT based Newsgroups. But accessing
(browsing)
the
Internet and e-mail facilities is not a problem at all.

The ISP technicians came to my place 3 times but could not find the
problem,
in fact they knew little about Newsgroups. They finally suggested
replacing
the router which was provided by the ISP. Well, I purchased a
'Linksys
WAG200G' router but the problem still persists.

So, I took my computer to a repair shop but the technicians could
not
find
anything wrong with my computer either. The technicians then
connected
my
computer to a *different* ISP and everything went fine - The access
of
Newsgroups and downloading/retrieving and sending of messages went
without
any problems.

Then I recalled that I still have some hours left on my old dial-up
connection from my previous ISP. I re-established this connection
and
as
with the different ISP connection, I am able accessing Newsgroups
and
retrieving/sending messages.
(This messages is send using my dial-up connection).

I am not a technical person but based on the above I suspect that my
existing ISP has for inexplicable reasons decided to block the
access
Newsgroups.

I talked to the ISP customer services people at their head offices
but
they
don't appear to understand the problem. I explained that Newsgroups
connect
to a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNPT) using exclusively port
119
and
the ISP is most likely blocking this from executing.

I even provided pertinent links and information, but it seems that
all
this
is either not read or just not understood and appreciated.

Since I am not a techie, could somebody please help me out here and
advise
if my technical reason is sound or need to be refined. Or, if I am
wrong
and the reason for not being able accessing newsgroups lies
somewhere
else
and/or should be communicated (technically) differently.
And, is it possible to perform some kind of test in order to provide
evidence that the fault lies with the ISP and is not related to the
settings
of my operating system. I then could hopefully get the ISP either to
fix the
problem or get them to release me from my subscription contract
without
incurring any penalties.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
TIA.

Ibex

Hi Robert.

In-line response.

Robert Aldwinckle said:
Does 40tude have any better diagnostics than either OE or WLMail?
[...]

Alternatively you could use netcap and Ethereal to see exactly what
is going on.
I am not familiar with netcap and Ethereal :(
In any case, a better simulation of what happens before you see
any logging by the Microsoft products would be to issue a LIST
command.
The LIST command produces an extremely very large database. In order not to
give you too much information I post data which I think is relevant. Please
note that microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is not on this (alphabetically
ordered) list.

microsoft.public.windows.embedded.pointofservice 1509 1441 y
microsoft.public.windows.file_system 14011 13588 y
microsoft.public.windows.group_policy 36662 35066 y
microsoft.public.windows.hpc 369 363 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress 178318 178303 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress 58950 58897 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress.stationery 377432
3774
23 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser 399395 398330 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak 31525 31508 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress.wishlist 47976
47956 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup 64354 64303 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress 354237 351057 y
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress.stationery 141691
14167
2 y
microsoft.public.windows.international 42 40 y
Perhaps the amount of output that generates is more
than your new ISP will allow? In order to avoid that being done
normally you could _uncheck_ (in Options, General tab):

Notify me if there are any new newsgroups
Please find below Ping and Tracert results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>ping msnews.microsoft.com

Pinging msnews.microsoft.com [207.46.248.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.248.16:

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>Microsoft Windows XP [Version
5.1.2600]
'Microsoft' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft
Corp.
Copyright was unexpected at this time.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>C:\Documents and Settings\Karl
Kaminski>
ping msnews.microsoft.com
'C:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>Pinging msnews.microsoft.com
[207.46.248
..16] with 32 bytes of data:
'Pinging' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>Request timed out.
'Request' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

=========================
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>tracert msnews.microsoft.com

Tracing route to msnews.microsoft.com [207.46.248.16]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 20 ms 22 ms 22 ms 222.123.184.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 23 ms 22 ms 23 ms mx-ll-58.147.0-25.tttmaxnet.com
[58.147.0.25]
6 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms mx-ll-58.147.0-86.tttmaxnet.com
[58.147.0.86]
7 37 ms 23 ms 23 ms mx-ll-58.147.0-54.tttmaxnet.com
[58.147.0.54]
8 25 ms 22 ms 23 ms mx-ll-58.147.0-106.tttmaxnet.com
[58.147.0.106]

9 57 ms 55 ms 55 ms if-2-0-1.core2.S9R-Singapore.teleglobe.net
[209.
58.96.45]
10 125 ms 124 ms 125 ms if-0-0-0-734.core1.TV2-Tokyo.teleglobe.net
[209.
58.96.38]
11 353 ms 283 ms 399 ms if-2-1.mcore3.PDI-PaloAlto.teleglobe.net
[216.6.
29.17]
12 265 ms 265 ms 265 ms if-6-0.core2.SEP-Seattle.teleglobe.net
[66.110.6
4.5]
13 259 ms 260 ms 260 ms ix-5-1.core2.SEP-Seattle.teleglobe.net
[66.110.6
4.22]
14 265 ms 266 ms 266 ms ge-1-3-0-56.wst-64cb-1a.ntwk.msn.net
[207.46.36.
173]
15 266 ms 266 ms 265 ms ge-6-1-0-0.tuk-64cb-1a.ntwk.msn.net
[207.46.35.2
]
16 269 ms 267 ms 267 ms ge-7-0-0-0.tuk-64cb-1b.ntwk.msn.net
[207.46.41.7
8]
17 265 ms 266 ms 266 ms ten1-2.tuk-76c-1a.ntwk.msn.net
[207.46.44.50]
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Ibex

Hi PA Bear.

In-line response.

PA Bear said:
The error messages are not meaningless.

That, I suspect, is what the errors are telling us.

I think you've already done so. Vote with your wallet: Cancel your
subscription and get another ISP.
I'd change right now if it wasn't for the contract I signed. I am with this
ISP 9 months. You see, the problem only started about 3 weeks ago. I have to
gather sufficient (technically sound) evidence that the ISP is in fact
blocking NNTP services in order to get out of the contract without incurring
any penalties.
What is the ISP, anyway?
MaxNet Thailand.

Ibex

Allan said:
Open a command window inside Explorer by selecting "Start|Run" and typing
"cmd" in the box. Then type "ping msnews.microsoft.com" or "tracert
msnews.microsoft.com" and you should see some response.
Thanks Allan.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>ping msnews.microsoft.com

Pinging msnews.microsoft.com [207.46.248.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.248.16:

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
'Microsoft' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
Copyright was unexpected at this time.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>C:\Documents and Settings\XXX XXXX>
ping msnews.microsoft.com
'C:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>Pinging msnews.microsoft.com [207.46.248
..16] with 32 bytes of data:
'Pinging' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>Request timed out.

===================================
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXX>tracert msnews.microsoft.com

[...]

Hi Tim.

In-line response.

Tim Slattery said:
There's no problem with your computer then. There is very little
difference to your computer in using your web browser versus accessing
an NNTP server. If you have a problem with the newsgroups but not with
the browser or email, then it's overwhelmingly likely that it's the
NNTP server that has a problem, not you. So you have two choices:
somehow harass your ISP into fixing their NNTP server, or find another
one.
Thanks for the information. It is comforting to know that my computer isn't
the culprit.
First off: is the NNTP server you're trying to use the one offered by
your ISP (assuming they offer one, not all do). If it's on a different
network - for example, if you're using your DSL connection to try to
access the NNTP server on your dial-up providers network - then you
are probably being locked out by the dial-up provider. ISPs who run
NNTP servers generally allow access only from their own networks, not
from anyplace on the net.
I am subscribed to two (2) ISP's.
One ISP is providing me with a dial-up connection. The other ISP is
providing me with an ADLS connection.
I use either Windows Live Mail or 40tude Dialog as Newsreaders and subscribe
directly to various newsgroups.
The names of News Server I am currently using are:
msnews.microsoft.com
news.aioe.org
and
privatenews.microsoft.com
The above are *not* provided by the ISP.

For the last 9 months I access Newsgroups using the ISP who is providing the
ADSL connection exclusively. There was no reason for me to use the ISP who
is providing the dial-up connection.
I only use the dial-up connection since experiencing problems with the ISP
who is providing the ADSL connection.

Tim Slattery

I am subscribed to two (2) ISP's.
One ISP is providing me with a dial-up connection. The other ISP is
providing me with an ADLS connection.
I use either Windows Live Mail or 40tude Dialog as Newsreaders and subscribe
directly to various newsgroups.
The names of News Server I am currently using are:
msnews.microsoft.com
news.aioe.org
and
privatenews.microsoft.com
The above are *not* provided by the ISP.

They sure aren't!
For the last 9 months I access Newsgroups using the ISP who is providing the
ADSL connection exclusively. There was no reason for me to use the ISP who
is providing the dial-up connection.
I only use the dial-up connection since experiencing problems with the ISP
who is providing the ADSL connection.

Well then, I guess it's either your ISP or a firewall on your
computer. Since you can access the server through the dial-up ISP (as
I understand), that kind of leaves the ADSL ISP. Ugh!

Gary VanderMolen

Ibex said:
Please find below Ping and Tracert results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>ping msnews.microsoft.com

Pinging msnews.microsoft.com [207.46.248.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.248.16:

Useless test. Microsoft's servers generally don't respond to ping or traceroute.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Also try http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/seasiabb

Urbane.Tiger said:
Hi Ibex,

not sure about Thailand but in most places, including Malaysia and Hong
Kong, most ISPs have a user forum if your ISP has such a thing then check
with other members - hard to believe that an ISP could stay in business if
the blocked the newsport, 119

You might also want to have a look here
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/f17.html, it seems
fairly active forum and I see posts re Maxnet.

Ibex said:
Gary,
FYI, I tried this as well:
(1)
telnet news.grc.com 119
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX XXXXXXXX>telnet news.grc.com 119
Connecting To news.grc.com...Could not open connection to the host, on
port 119: Connect failed

(2)
telnet news.aioe.org 119
200 aioe.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.4 (20080128 snapshot) ready
(posting ok).
Connection to host lost.

(3)
telnet privatenews.microsoft.com 119
200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed

Rgds,

Gary VanderMolen said:
Interesting. At least we now know that port 119 is not blocked.
I don't have any other suggestions at this point.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Here is what I got:

Ibex wrote:
[...]

access to
[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

Please check your Internet connection settings.
If you have a firewall installed, check that the application
avp.exe is allowed internet access.

Given your symptoms that is good advice.

I am not familiar with netcap and Ethereal :(

Well Google or Live Search can help with that. ; )
BTW newer versions of Ethereal are apparently called WireShark.

The LIST command produces an extremely very large database. In order not to
give you too much information I post data which I think is relevant. Please
note that microsoft.public.windowsxp.general is not on this (alphabetically
ordered) list.

Perhaps telnet got overrun? ; )

More significantly, did you try using the option which would
prevent WLMail from trying to use the LIST command?

If anything I suspect this is more indication that your problems
are most likely due to a firewall blockage. Otherwise why can
you simulate with telnet what you would like either app to do?

HTH

Robert
---

Nightowl

Hi again Ibex

This is all very puzzling. . . I'm wondering if it's possible it's not
your ISP but perhaps another piece of software interfering. Just a shot
in the dark, but do you by any chance use an IP blocker such as
PeerGuardian? I've seen reports of that blocking port 119.

Ibex

No, I don't use an IP blocker. The situation is very puzzling indeed. I have
not received one technical response from the ISP, even though sending
numerous e-mail messages requesting assistance.
Cheers...

Ibex

Thanks, UT. Have contacted the forum as suggested.
Cheers...

Urbane.Tiger said:
Hi Ibex,

not sure about Thailand but in most places, including Malaysia and Hong
Kong, most ISPs have a user forum if your ISP has such a thing then check
with other members - hard to believe that an ISP could stay in business if
the blocked the newsport, 119

You might also want to have a look here
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/f17.html, it seems
fairly active forum and I see posts re Maxnet.
--
TUT

Ibex said:
Gary,
FYI, I tried this as well:
(1)
telnet news.grc.com 119

Ibex wrote:
[...]

Yes, I am pretty sure the (ADSL) ISP plays a major part in blocking NNTP.
I've sent numerous e-mail messages requesting assistance/clarification but
no technical response whatsoever. It's frustrating, really.
Cheers...

Ibex

I finally received a call from a competent (MaxNet ISP) technician. He was
able to fix this problem and I am (again) able to access NNTP based
Newsgroups. It seems the fault was somehow generated by the ISP after all,
which I suspected all along. I had to unplug the power connection of the
router and disconnect the phone line for about 3 minutes or so, during this
time the technician implemented some 'adjustments' at the
ISP head offices. When pressing him for details he said that there was a
'synchronization' issue with phone connection.