My thoughts on moving from Windows to Linux Mint

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mint does simplify the knowledge requirements for the Linux keyboard commands. Among non-programmers, the competition includes Apple tablets and macs which arguably easier to use than Mint.

Windows is also easier to use than any Linux Distro but both Apple and Windows Operating Systems cost oodles of cash whereas Mint costs not a penny.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Apple stopped charging for OS X after Mavericks was released.

Really? I never knew that, just shows how much interest I have in Apple systems eh?

But I'm going to assume to run an Apple OS you need an Apple machine and they DO cost lots of money.

I've never had an interest in Apple machines simply because their hardware costs a fortune. I will admit their stuff looks pretty so I can see why style junkies are attracted but much better spec can be had for the same or less money if choosing the Windows or Linux route.

Now I suppose you'll tell me an Apple OS can be installed on an 'IBM' machine ;)

Is that possible? Using some virtual system software perhaps? I really don't know.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Now I suppose you'll tell me an Apple OS can be installed on an 'IBM' machine ;)

Is that possible? Using some virtual system software perhaps? I really don't know.

Now days you can pretty much install OS X on any modern hardware " Hackintosh " and also run OS X in VM's

Reaction score
Mint does simplify the knowledge requirements for the Linux keyboard commands. Among non-programmers, the competition includes Apple tablets and macs which arguably easier to use than Mint.

Yes but Apple are expensive but Linux distros are free

Reaction score
Yes but Apple are expensive but Linux distros are free

Linux is free, but many people will pay for the functionality of Apple. Money is NOT the only consideration when software seeks market share. Linux Mint has many good features, and the open source community should expand the feature set for greater ease of use with a richer look and feel for unsophisticated users. Children as an example often have an Apple iPhone and tablet of course for a price, but why couldn't those children use a feature rich Linux mint platform if open source users made it easier to use.

Ask a Question