My thoughts on moving from Windows to Linux Mint

Reaction score
I am writing this in the Linux Forum as was not sure where to put it perhaps it should be in the general. Well anyway I have been a Microsoft user from 1999 using XP,Vista, W7, W8, and then W10. I had a dabble with Linux but never really used it because it was two much bother using dual boot also I worked in a local authority IT centre where if I wanted any help or downloads I could have them FOC ( I had nothing to do with computing I was the caretaker) anyway I was used to Microsoft's offerings and never thought about having to pay for the operating systems and the aps which you have to for to do the the things that you need to to make the OS work for you. When Windows 10 came out AND IT WAS FREE I installed it and was reasonably happy with it but I then I found it came a price and the price was that Microsoft would be monitoring stuff like, who you were emailing, what websites you going into etc, etc, even though you had supposedly used the control panel to negate that.

Any way as I have said I had dabbled once or twice with Linux Distro's and never really tried to understand them but was so fed up with Microcrap I tried several one was Zorin the other was Roblinux both full to the brim with apps but two many apps because they supposedly easy to migrate from Microsoft I found them full of features but really did not sit right with me and then I tried against my better judgement Linux Mint :thumb: I found it was easy to use and there is a button to download World Community Grid, all you have to do is forget all Microsoft put all the things out of your mind that you know about that system and it is a new learning experience and as I am a silver surfer that could be a difficult thing but straingly I have found it easy to get my head around and enjoying the experience, so if you are questioning the morality of Microsoft monitoring your privacy have a look at Linux Mint or any other Linux distro you could be surprised and if you need help there many people on this site who will go out of their:thumb::user: way to help you.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Why 'against your better judgement?'

Have I not been recommending Mint ever since you started your foray into Linux?

I could be a smug git and say 'Told ya' but I won't.

Instead, I'll just say I'm pleased you've found a distro that (so far) you seem at ease with.

Do note that at some point it's very likely you may have to use a console command or two at which point you may be tempted to run for Win 10 again.

My advice: don't, stick with what you have.

FWIW Mint and Zorin are the only two Distros so far I've been able to get my Epson scanner to work with.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mint isn't perfect, but it takes the pressure off learning Linux.

You should, at least, make the effort to 'learn' the Terminal, it is comparatively easy once you've grasped a few commands. Plenty of "sudo apt-get install" on the tinternet.

If you fine yourself getting frustrated, kick the cat (figuratively speaking) or take the dog for a walk. :)

above all, have fun learning :nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
What is so amazing is how much quicker Mint is over Windows:thumb:

Ha you think that is amazing. Wait till you experience updating Mint.
th_0140.gif

Reaction score
So far Loving Mint, it seems to do what I want it toroblem do and will probably be feeling around for some considerable time. I did try some time ago to dual boot Mint 13 back in 2012 but the problem was I was still running Windows so when I came across a problem I just went back to Windows.

Reaction score
As a non techi I have to admit I love Mint so far no problems I have found it quicker than Windows 10 and as smooth as a baby's bum GREAT:thumb::thumb::thumb::user:

Reaction score
I would as it's open source but it's getting everything else to work?
The GPS Plotter from farm machinery & the other agricultural software might not be compatible.
Trouble we have is if we change over and it does not work we are in the poo!!

Might have to set it upon an old pc and slowly see if it all works 1 bit of software at a time!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The GPS Plotter from farm machinery & the other agricultural software might not be compatible.

Might have to set it upon an old pc and slowly see if it all works 1 bit of software at a time!!

If you're reliant on software that you know works in Windows and all is working good then my advice would be to stay as you are. It's not worth the agro to change just for the sake of changing.

I've just changed from Mint 17 to Mint 17.3 and now my soundcard doesn't work. In the drop down menu for 'Sound out' there used to be an option for 'Stereo analogue' but not any more, the menu starts at Surround sound 4.0 and that's it.

Selecting headphones means they work via the soundcard output to front panel and it also looks as if digital out works but not stereo analogue out and a thorough Internet search hasn't as yet given me a solution.

I do have a spare DAC so I may use that and select digital out but I am less than impressed.

Other than that, latest Nvidia 3D driver installed; printer works; scanner works; Libre Office; Scribus; Bleachbit; Audacity; Vuse; Opera et al. Just that this latest Mint doesn't seem to agree with my Asus Xonar DG soundcard.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I got the same sound card as you flops and mine works OK, I have a 2.1 sound system.

Are you sure? I seem to recall you have the Xonar DX whereas I have the DG. Confirm?

I've also done two installs now, an initial one on a 74Gb HDD just to see what it was like and then onto a permanent 750Gb HDD, both installs gave same result.

Reaction score
Mint isn't perfect, but it takes the pressure off learning Linux.

You should, at least, make the effort to 'learn' the Terminal, it is comparatively easy once you've grasped a few commands. Plenty of "sudo apt-get install" on the tinternet.

If you fine yourself getting frustrated, kick the cat (figuratively speaking) or take the dog for a walk. :)

above all, have fun learning :nod:

I have a book ordered from Amazon on the Terminal so hopefully I shall master that

Reaction score

You could always dual boot:thumb::user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Reaction score
Mint does simplify the knowledge requirements for the Linux keyboard commands. Among non-programmers, the competition includes Apple tablets and macs which arguably easier to use than Mint.

Ask a Question