My new toy - Samsung Galaxy S4

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just got my new phone today and the first impression while using it is that the screen is the size of a football field! :lol: My old phone the Motorola Cliq 2 looks ugly next to it, yuck!

I need some time to play with it before I am really familiar with all it has to offer.

I will also put to test its camera and see what it can do, I know it takes great pictures in good light but I am more interested in its capability in low or difficult light.

I bought the black one and was a bit disappointed that it was bundled with a white charger and a white headphone. I don't care how good Samsung products are or how well these phones sell but there really stupid idiots sitting in Samsung who have no clue what color co-ordination means :wall:Samsung still has a lot to learn.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Black Mist

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I am more interested in its capability in low or difficult light.
oops, should have gone for the HTC One if that is a concern ...

Enjoy the new phone anyway. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
oops, should have gone for the HTC One if that is a concern ...

Enjoy the new phone anyway. :)

Yes I know that HTC One is considered better, however if this one takes even decent if not great shots in low light I would be happy. The reason is that I consider the photographic capability of a smart phone as secondary to communication capability, the Galaxy is a far better device when it comes to that.

I will post pictures soon. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
A very handsome phone Quad. Hope it will exceed expectations and provide you with lots of enjoyment. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good choice Quad. :)

Like i said in the other thread, I did consider the HTCO too, but a few things put me off, no SD slot being the main thing, I have a 64Gb Sandisk card in mine which is half full of music already for out and about and in the car etc.

The fact the camera, whist it is better in low light, its not as good as the S4 in daylight. Which quite frankly is when i would use it most. Also, i love the .gif mode! :D

Are you going to root it and flash a custom ROM or just keep it stock?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Exciting stuff! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos! :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Are you going to root it and flash a custom ROM or just keep it stock?

I have yet to get the hang of the phone and I need to make sure how things work, so I will delay it for some time, but sure I am open to anything exciting :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Im sure you can make it produce some great photos quad. :)

Regarding rooting, its fairly straight forward, basically just flashing a pre rooted stock ROM via a program called Odin. Then any custom ROM's you just flash a .zip via a custom recovery. But thats another story for another time. :)

If your interested...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2250824

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Rooting is as easy as pie. Even I could do it. Now my S3 is shot of all the bloatware it came with :fool:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I just logged in from my S4 and they gave me 50 GB free on top of my existing account - Wow! anyone else get that?

I am testing the camera and playing around with its features as far as the camera is concerned, will have some photos by this weekend posted.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whos they? Dropbox by any chance? :)

Looking forward to some camera samples from you! :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Whos they? Dropbox by any chance? :)

Looking forward to some camera samples from you! :thumb:

Yes it is Dropbox sorry I forgot to mention, guess I got carried away! :lol:

Photos yes for sure they are coming......;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I do have an account but i use Google Drive tbh.

Dropbox is one of the many built in apps i've disable until i root....

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just logged in from my S4 and they gave me 50 GB free on top of my existing account - Wow! anyone else get that?
Careful I received a large amount of space from dropbox when I first got my phone too, and dropbox revoked the extra space a few weeks ago when the yearly time ran out..

I wasn't aware it was just a promotional offer and only lasted 12 months until it was revoked..It was never publicised to me that it would at some point run out..:(

I don't use dropbox now I use Copy instead as there space has no time limit on it and I have nearly 100GB on it from referrals! :bow:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Careful I received a large amount of space from dropbox when I first got my phone too, and dropbox revoked the extra space a few weeks ago when the yearly time ran out..

I wasn't aware it was just a promotional offer and only lasted 12 months until it was revoked..It was never publicised to me that it would at some point run out..:(

I don't use dropbox now I use Copy instead as there space has no time limit on it and I have nearly 100GB on it from referrals! :bow:

I checked and found you are absolutely right about that. It is for next 24 months and either they will revoke it or ask for payment for the additional space, very cheeky indeed!:mad:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I checked and found you are absolutely right about that. It is for next 24 months and either they will revoke it or ask for payment for the additional space, very cheeky indeed!:mad:
Yep I thought as much, good job you checked it out Quad..
I lost some photo's and other files from the space I had used which they revoked, luckily I had backups on HDD too, I lost confidence in Dropbox after that so have deleted my account with them and cleared all my files on there servers!
Like you say very naughty indeed :mad:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yep I thought as much, good job you checked it out Quad..
I lost some photo's and other files from the space I had used which they revoked, luckily I had backups on HDD too, I lost confidence in Dropbox after that so have deleted my account with them and cleared all my files on there servers!
Like you say very naughty indeed :mad:

They started out well and built a good reputation but it looks like they are becomming greedy now. I will not be using them either. I do have Amazon account and Ubuntu One account, which is more than what I need.

Good of you to give me the heads up. :bow:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I did go out yesterday and spent 3 hours with the phone doing only photography. After having read all over the internet about how good the camera is and blah blah blah. I was very disappointed with the results. It is still a toy and nothing more as far as I am concerned. There is no phone out there which can do justice to real shots like a proper camera can. Even point and shoots are way better than the stupid smartphones. One camera in question being the Panasonic LX-5 that I had. DSLR's are in a different league altogether.

I know many of you may be a bit perplexed at what I am stating but maybe my expectation were very high based on what all were saying. Anyway I will be posting some pics that I have already taken tonight when I am back home.

Ask a Question