Samsung Galaxy S9 smartphone review

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Samsung's latest flagsip smartphone, the Galaxy S9, is released today. Whilst the camera is impressive, the general consensus seems to be that there isn't much else that sets it apart from the predecessor, the Galaxy S8. The Evening Standard has been taking a look:

In all honesty, the Samsung Galaxy S9 isn’t notably different from the Samsung Galaxy S8. The design is the same, albeit with different colours, the battery is the same, and the display is the same.

What’s updated is the camera, which is really good, as well as fun things like AR Emojis, the upgraded Bixby features, and Intelligent Scan.

As well, that headphone jack will keep users happy.

If you’re looking to upgrade your Android device, it’s the next one in line so it makes sense to choose the Samsung Galaxy S9. But it may not necessarily be worth the price increase from the S8.

08-03-samsung-galaxy-s9-2.jpg

Read more here.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I was never able to afford an expensive phone like this, so if I had the chance to get an S9, I would buy it. Would you buy it?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think it looks alright, fixed the finger print scanner placement, slimmed down the bloat.

I couldn't give a damn about the AR Emoji's or Bixby mind you. So there's still some bloat on it!

I won't be getting rid of my Pixel 2XL just yet.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I'm turning in to a grumpy old fart when I see advertising that shows off "food" mode on a phone camera so that someone can instagram their granola. :wall::lol:.

I won't be shifting from my S7 for quite some time, but it looks like most phones now are just providing incremental improvements - i.e. improvements in the camera, screen, software. Not a bad thing, as it means they should be good for several years, as long as the software updates are there to support it.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Personally I'm still happy with my S7, but if I was to get a new phone I'd probably steer clear of Samsung. They're so slow with updates, but the camera is really good and that was the primary reason for getting it. Now that other manufacturers are upping their game in that regard there's less of a reason to stick with Samsung unfortunately.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Yes I agree, the Samsungs are so expensive. LG makes comparable phones for half the price. Have you checked out the V30?

I haven't... I guess because I'm happy with my phone I haven't been motivated to look at others in depth. I don't know anyone who uses a LG phone, most people I know have either a Samsung or an iPhone. Do you have the V30?

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
No I don't have to v30, I have the K20, and I love it. I have been using LG phones since 2011 and I have to say they are very high-quality phones for a bargain price.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm definitely a dinosaur when it comes to phones, I still have a Samsung S6 which I bought used for £150 about 6 months ago. I would have stuck with my iPhone 4 tbh (which I really liked) but Apple in all their wisdom wouldn't allow me to upgrade the phone's OS which meant I couldn't install and use some apps.

So goodbye Apple, you've lost a customer.

This Samsung, to me it's new and I can't figure out how to use half the stuff on it, lol

atm I don't have any music or photos on it so I can't figure out why about 22Gb of the 32Gb memory is used up? I've already deleted tons of tosh - is the OS really that big?

So no, I won't be buying an S9 anytime in the near future, I rather suspect that all mobile phones are overpriced and are trading and are reliant upon people's never ending quest to have the latest status symbol mobile.

Pah.

Ask a Question