My new Gaming Computer :p

Reaction score
ok ... after a long time and saving the time has come!!! i can buy my system :p

i just want to fianlise the spec with you onions and see if you approve :)

here we go :

AMD athlon64 3500+
Asus A8N- SLI Deluxe
Crucial DDR 1GB
Samsung 160GB SATA 2
Samsung DVD recorder
Tagan 480W
Leadtek 6800GT
Alpine EZ cool case
Windows XP home OEM

is there anything you could think i can improve on without spending to much £££

im going to buy new accesories after i buy a few games ... as my keyboard and mouse is fine for a little bit. although i do have to get a new set of speakers as i blew up my lasts one up :blush:

do you think for future upgrades i should get a more powerful PSU ?

thanks G~MAN

Reaction score
G-Man, I upgraded to about the same processor and case. 1) the CPU is top notch, runs very cool with no overclocking, and 2) that case is totally cool - loads of vent holes and fan mounting brackets, and everything covered by a thin filter sheet so the dust coming in is minimised.

Only thing I'd say is try and go for the XP Pro instead of home. There is alot of stuff you can do with it than on XP Home you need either a tweaker or a safe-mode reboot to do. If you can get the drivers, the 64-bit XP OEM is here for £80+VAT

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=18550

I would aso say you could save a bit of cash on the RAM. I went for Corsair Value, and I don' think it's any slower and, although I haven't overclocked yet, I'm told it will take higher voltages than most.

Jock

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can't fault that G-Man - I don't think you'll need another PSU for your next upgrade, a 480W Tagan will handle pretty much anything.

Cache-Man has one of those cases and loves it from what I gather :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the only thing i would change is the mobo, get the premium it has the heatpipe so is silent compared to that silly fan on the deluxe that spins at a 9000Rpm

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
the only thing i would change is the mobo, get the premium it has the heatpipe so is silent compared to that silly fan on the deluxe that spins at a 9000Rpm
Chop the silly thing off and get a proper HS with no fan, if it needs one. ;)

Nice spec' ... :thumb:

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:

Second that. See my other thread... that fan is making a racket in my board now. I'm gonna have to rip it out and replace with a passive. Otherwise, the board is good. Solid quality, plenty of space between SLI ports, great sound and loads of connectivity.

Reaction score
BigJock ... what speakers do you have? 2.1 or 5.1 or other ?? i would like a 5.1 system and wondered if the onboard sound is good ...

thanks for all your comments guys :) ... is the board really worth changing for the extra £10 - £20??

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm just plugged into an amp with 2 hifi speakers, so can't appreciate the 7.1 surround. Just going by the tech spec and comments I read. I would say the premium is worth the extra cash. When I looked it was abt £50 dearer so I didn't bother, but it's the absolute mutts nuts.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cool, thats gonna be a nice rig mate. :thumb:

Care to enlighten us to how much its gonna cost!? :p

As you always say to everyone else, DONT FORGET THE BENCHMARKS!!!!! :D

Maybe we should have a benchmark thread?? Could be cool

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
also one more reason for the preimum is it doesn't have the stupid card that has to be moved when enabling SLI :thumb:

Reaction score
i will do vanilla radio!! :p

i worked it out at around £730 but that was just a quick guide... for an extra £50 i could opt for a 7800GT !

but i dunno if i should pay any more!! lol .. as i also want a PSP and an xbox360 :blush:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Fair enough, are you building it yourself too?
The choice is yours but i dont think you need it!! Doesn't mean you shouldn't get it tho!! :p

Sounds like your gonna have to start saving again!

BTW What you done with Belloni?

Reaction score
nah i dont think i will need it to be honest ... penis envy if anything else!! :p

and Belloni ... hmm he is HOOKED and i mean HOOKED to world of warcraft !! its sad to see him in such a state!! WOW comes before anything at the moment for him ... even school work ! Stupid if you ask me !!

I think i will Build it myself!! if anything goes major wrong i have you guys :) ... Belloni and my dads friend 'Gary' he built all my dads computers at work and knows anything lol!!!

i could get him to build it for me ... but wheres all the fun for me!! ... i have never built anything from scratch ! just a few upgrades here and there!!

Reaction score
not as good as urs baz!! lol :D

thanks matey ... my dads ordering all the parts so when he does actually do it then il get building :p

il post some BENCHMARKS ;) and some pics :)

Reaction score
Thanx for the concern Vanilla :p Yes i am afraid i have been hooked on WoW hehe :p

Yeah i will help him build it if he needs help maybe for a cost haha jokes :p

WoW DOESN'T come before everything ... just before G man hehe :) I'd say go for 7800GT may aswell ! :)

Reaction score
i decided AGAINST the 7800GT to much money for what it was :blush:

its not like i have to make a whole new computer again just to play games ... unlike my current one!! lol

a simple upgrade in the future ! yay! i also want to see the new ones ATI are bringing out ... if they ever do !! lol ... due october i believe

Reaction score
mid october ati bring out their r520, r530 and r515 - otherwise known as x1800, x1600 and x1300. I would wait and save for one of them as they are going to fly past anything ati have done in the past as the new cards have shader model 3.0, 650mhz clock and 1400mhz memory timings. I hope it beats 7800gtx...

btw this page has a crap load on atis new cards. go through it if you can be arsed. i couldnt :p

http://www.theinquirer.net/?page=9

Reaction score
yer but to use crossfire you will need a new mobo and im happy with what i have chosen atm ... its not that hard to get the same card anyways ... only if you lazy lol :p

i saw some benchmarks ( not sure if real or not ) but it's not much better than a 7800GT ... so a GTX is par. Well thats what i read somewhere ...not sure how true that is

and i think nvidia are holding out on the 7800 ... its got some extra juice in it but there holding out for ATi's new cards

Ask a Question