NEED HELP ON BUYING A NEW PC!!! pros welcome!

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am currently putting the final touches to getting all the parts for my new PC that i am going to build myself. I would REALLY appreciate if you could comment and give me feedback on my specs because i have very limited knowledge on some aspects of the system and therefore would hate to be buying something that is not good, heres the stuff:

256mb Nvidia BFG GF 7900GT Overclocked SLI £250 (graphics)

Pioneer 16x DL DVD-RW OEM DVR-11D £28 (DVD-DRIVE)

250GB SATA2 MAXTOR 16MB DIAMONDMAX 10 £57 (HARDRIVE)

1GB DDR2 CORSAIR RAM PC5300 667MHZ £77 (RAM)

ASUS A8N-SLI 64BIT 989 £75 (MOTHERBOARD)

AMD DUEL CORE 4200+ 64BIT £255 (CPU)

ATX 480W TAGAN SILENT PSU £68 (PSU)

19" BELINEA LCD TFT MONITOR 101902 £180 (MONITOR)

WINDOWS XP HOME UPGRADE £90 (OPERATING SYSTEM)

This PC costs around £1,128 and i would like to keep the price within like £200 above it, so please post and tell me what i should change.

The main purpose of my PC is GAMING! so any advice would be VERY welcome!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do not buy the upgrade OS ... get a full copy, OEM will do and should be cheaper than £90

That memory will not fit on that MB ... you don't want DDR2, waste of time & money. ;)

Apart from that ... :thumb:

Reaction score
ty both of you ;) i understand the prices are a bit high but its for convenience with warrantys etc that i choose to buy for such prices.. the place where i am buying from is right next to my house and if anything gos wrong i can plonk the product on the counter and scream at them face to face lol.. but ty dude ;)

also muckshifter mate ty for you comments, what do you suggest for the RAM.. i have a very limited knowledge so please explain more, i am buying from Orbit PC so could you get some links from there and show me (very much appreciated if any changes that would benefit me you gave me links fromhttp://www.computerorbit.co.uk

Other than that please keep you comments flowing! ty!

Reaction score
well ive changed my specs now

Im getting the RAM that you suggested 2x 512mb sticks

Then im getting a Seagate hardrive 250GB

lastly ive heard bad things about overclocking and stability so im going to pay that little extra and get a 512mb SE Nvidia Gainward Geforce 7900GTX which i heard is one of the best in the world at the moment ;) please comment!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're going to use the machine primarily for Gaming I'd suggest a better Monitor.

The lower the response time the better and a digital input is definitely recommended.

Check out the Samsung 19" models, you should be able to get something suitable for £250/£280.

Other than that, looking good :)

Ask a Question