help on a new build

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friends pc for me to built I can install XP and I can install Vista 32bit but I want to up-grade to Vista 64bit. However when I keep trying to up-grade to Vista 64bit, I keep getting lots of blue screens. What I have done so far removed memory and tried 2 at a time. I would be grateful for any advice on this problem as I have ran out of ideas.

The system has 8gb OCZ High Performance PC2-6400,

XFX Nforce 680i TL SLI Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 LGA775

BFG GFX Card 260 GTX

Many Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Hi ya Wizkid..

My one and only question is, is it a 64 bit Motherboard that you are using in this build..?

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Hi ya Wizkid..

My one and only question is, is it a 64 bit Motherboard that you are using in this build..?

Hi Madxgraphics,

Thanks for your reply.

It says on the box that it Supports Windows XP 32bit and 64bit. All it says for Windows Vista is that it supports it. It does not say what version of it it supports. Is there any setting in the BIOS that I need to change to 64bit OS?

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
You would need to do a bit of mucking about in the BIOS, but what I am not 100% sure..I have never done owt like this before..I'll go and have a little look around and see what I can find out for you..I'm at work still so could ask a few of the guys here that are serious builders and see what they have to say..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
You would need to do a bit of mucking about in the BIOS, but what I am not 100% sure..I have never done owt like this before..I'll go and have a little look around and see what I can find out for you..I'm at work still so could ask a few of the guys here that are serious builders and see what they have to say..

That would be most grateful if you could please ask some people for me and look around.

I would appreciate a lot.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
That would be most grateful if you could please ask some people for me and look around.

I would appreciate a lot.

Thanks,

Wiz
Hi Wiz
General consensus with the guys I asked, was to check on the site of MoBo manufacturer..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Hi Wiz
General consensus with the guys I asked, was to check on the site of MoBo manufacturer..

Cheers I will have a browse on there website.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Hi,

I think I have figured it out. It’s the memory controller on the motherboard because I put all the sticks in one slot at a time and every time a blue screen came up. I have also tested with other ram and the problem is still the same :wall: . So now waiting for a replacement motherboard to be sent out.

Thanks for your help Madxgraphics

Last edited:
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

I think I have figured it out. It’s the memory controller on the motherboard because I put all the sticks in one slot at a time and every time a blue screen came up. I have also tested with other ram and the problem is still the same
wallbash.gif
. So now waiting for a replacement motherboard to be sent out.

Thanks for your help Madxgraphics

No worries Wiz, always here to help..Bit of a bummer having to replace the Motherboard though:wall: :wall:

Reaction score
Not Motherboard

Madxgraphics said:
No worries Wiz, always here to help..Bit of a bummer having to replace the Motherboard though:wall: :wall:

[font=&quot]Well I got a different motherboard all togher and the problem is the same. Vista still wont install I can install Vista 64bit on 2gb of ram but when I get to the welcome screen it crashes, on me and blue screens all the time I have tried a stick at a time and its still the same. I have also tried another GFX card, I have tested the ram and it said that there was no errors with the ram. I have tried different vista cds, the only other thing I can think of is if I make a Vista SP1 DVD would this correct the problem? As this would have all the latest up-dates in it. The next thing I am going to do is reseat the CPU and fan and try another PSU. I have also tried both hdds and the problem is the same. The only thing that I can think of is that one of the other components must be faulty. I have run out of ideas.[/font]
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

Any more advice would be grateful.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Fixed :)

Hi All,

I have fixed this issue a cuple of days ago it was a patch that was needed for Vista 64bit to regonsize the full 8gb and all is fine now. No more BSODS I have installed about 30 games so far and all is well.

Regards,
Wiz

Ask a Question