new build help

Reaction score
hi all I need some help im building my first pc and when i finely put it together and flicked the switch for the first time all the fans came on the HD span up but then nothing showed on the monitor the fan on the graphics card is spinning.

Ive listed the components below any thoughts would be appreciated

MOBO-MSI K9N SLI-2F nForce 570 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800
CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core (2.0GHz) Socket AM2 L2 cache
HD-400G SAMSUNG SATA2 HD400LJ
RAM-Ebuyer 1GB DDR2 533MHz PC2-4200 240pin Extra Value Ram
graphics-256mb XFX 7600GT PCI-E

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Gut wrenching, innit. :(

Could be anything ... from a MB stand-off in the wrong place, a DOA item to, Do I really need that cable connected, syndrome.

You don't list the PSU, this is often overlooked, but is still an important device for your PC.

While I have no personal problems with "Value Ram" is yours listed as "recommended" by MSI ?

When "diagnosing" a hardware problem, the only real solution is to swap-out parts for good known working equivalent components.

Any "beeps" at all ??

:user:

Reaction score
thanks for the quick response the power supply is Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU SLI/CrossFire Certified - Blue

there are no beebs

not sure where i would find out about the RAM

thanks

muckshifter

Reaction score
fosch said:
thanks for the quick response the power supply is Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU SLI/CrossFire Certified - Blue

there are no beebs

not sure where i would find out about the RAM

thanks
Good PSU ... :thumb:

RAM ? well, my first port of call would be MSI, but, Crucial is easier & quicker. MBs can be quite particular over the memory installed. However, if it was only "bad" memory I would expect to hear some Beeps.

Fans spinning merely tell me that power is at least getting to the MB ... no "beeps" give me more concern ... usually leads to dead component, not always, but it is usually true. MB or CPU :(

As I said, unfortunately, swapping out of components is how we usually "fix" PCs

You do have all necessary cable connected correctly, including any "extra" 4/6/8pin power cables ... miss these things myself often. ;)

Reaction score
Looks like you are right i tried swithcing on without any ram and there was no difference. unfortunatly i dont have a spare board or cpu to test them

Reaction score
in this sort of situation its normally the RAM but can be many other things (once was the GFX card not seated properly), only thing i can suggest is try and beg some RAM off a mate so that you can test it out.

Also might be an idea to make sure the CPU is properly installed or try the RAM in different sockets and also try 1 stick of RAM at a time and see if it boots. it might just be 1 stick of RAM that is dead

muckshifter

Reaction score
You do not need RAM to attempt a boot ... the POST should detect a "fault" with RAM and beep continually ... it was that way in my day, however, manufacturers do some really silly things these days. :rolleyes:

No Beep ... it is usually MB or CPU ... but nothing is as strange as diagnosing PC problems. It can turn out to be a dead PCI card, fried PCI modems would do this & other dead cards would not.

All I can say at this point is to pull out all non-essential cards & drives ... take everything out of the case, place the MB on some cardboard and re-build it there ... with only the bare essentials.

I ask again ... you do have BOTH extra 4pin power connectors, connected ? PW2 & PW3 ... page 2-8 & 2-9 of your manual.

There is also a "D Bracket" though sometimes an optional extra, that has 4 diagnostic LEDs on it. Do you have one ?

There is also a "clear CMOS" switch on the MB ... SW2, page 2-20 ... press it & try again ... if it does POST after that, then you will need to check the BIOS and redo the correct settings for your CPU & other devices.

HTH

user.gif

Ask a Question