New Build - Components Check List

Reaction score
Im starting another build, but haven't built a new pc for a while. Just want to see if any one has any suggestions on the components. Heres what im thinking of;

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, Yorkfield Core, 2.66 GHz, 1333MHz,
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 PC2-8500 (1066),
Asus P5K3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP,
650W Be Quiet Dark Power PRO BN073 Modular PSU,
512MB EVGA 9800 GTX Super SC,
Samsung spinpoint HDD (750Gb) x2,
XP Pro SP3,
Possibley watercooled?
...all housed in a Coolermaster COSMOS-S case.

I haven't decided a budget yet Think im just going to get the best components i can, with out going overboard (dont know where to draw the line there). I don't mind paying upto and including £200 for the Mobo. Already decided to get the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, Yorkfield Core (£220). Just wondered mainley what the best RAM and Mobo is to complement the Q9450 CPU? And which graphics card to get now (GTX 260)?

And will all this hardwear work together, or does anyone have any suggestions of different components/changes??

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If i was gonna spend £200 on a motherboard i reckon i would definetly get one that supports DDR3 RAM and PCI 2.0.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=787150

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=778516

That way when you stick your £400 GTX 280 on there it will run properly.

Sorry but watercooling is a bit beyond my talents.
Would probably get a PSU that supports SLI, so when it comes to upgrade you can just add another card.
Why get 2 x 750GB drives? get a 250GB as your boot drive then a 750GB or 1TB as storage, or if your are not on a budget get a Raptor or cheetah as your boot drive (10,000rpm)

Hope this helps

Ask a Question