New pc build

Reaction score
I have decided to get the Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 cpu. I am just wondering what motherboard and ram i should get, i have seen these:

DFI Infinity 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (£93.99) HERE

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (£117.49) HERE.

I am willing to pay alittle more on each of these if its good value for money. I am also considering getting the
[font="]BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) although at a later date. I have the other components i need so the cpu, mobo and ram are the main parts im looking to buy at the moment.

Any suggestions and advice would be great.

Thanks

Stu

[/font]

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
looks good, maybe go for the Asus P5B Deluxe ? dunno if its any better or not tbh but i think Flopps and Ady have used them on their rigs

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
looks good, maybe go for the Asus P5B Deluxe ? dunno if its any better or not tbh but i think Flopps and Ady have used them on their rigs
I've used the P5B-E Plus, which is a stripped out overclockers version - its excellent :thumb:

With that highly overclockable E6400 and RAM I reckon that board will do nicely - but it doesn't have SLi or Crossfire - so if your going to use two cards in the future, then how about the P5B Deluxe which Flops has.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I know nothing about that DFI board so I can't comment - but if your not ever going to use two cards,then I can recommend the P5B-E Plus :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have had that RAM in my OCUK basket for a whie now, along with an E66 and Asus P5N32-E....Stop it i dont need it... :D

What PSU you gonna use?

Reaction score
Had it for a while now and i have been impressed with it. I got it cheaper than most people as it was on sale and my friend happened to work there, which meant i got a further discount :)

You think it will be good enough for my new system if i overclock, and possibly use the 8800GTS in the system?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it has 2 fairly hefty 12V rails so i think you'll be ok, the 8800's pull a rediculous amount of power though i think its over 250W :eek:

Reaction score
Well i think i have decided on the Asus P5B Deluxe (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (£122.19) HERE

From what i have read it's worth paying the extra £30 instead of getting the DFI Infinity 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (£93.99) HERE.

I just hope i make the right choice.

What you think?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i haven't really been keeping up with intel's latest but since you posted i've been reading up on everything thats happened in the last few months and the Asus board seems to be one of the best all rounders

personally i'd get that and the Geil RAM you picked, it seems they'll make a nice stable machine that'll overclock to 3Ghz no problem

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The Asus is a very good board - I don't think you will be disappointed :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Now i just need to choose the DVD RW and hard drive, any suggestions?

I guess its worth getting 250gb as there isnt much difference price wise between that and 160gb.

Possibly Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (£50.51) HERE ?

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I use Samsung Spinpoints- they have never failed on me yet, and are nice and quiet.

As regards DVD-RW - personally I go for NEC or LG and haven't been let down by either as yet - I'm using one of these at the moment: NEC AD5170 - although you could go for one of the SATA ones such as THIS and save having to use a ribbon cable.

Plexter are probably the best out there, but you going to have to pay alot more for one of those.

Reaction score
Didn't realise just how cheap DVD-RW's are now, i remember a time when you would be luck to find one for under £100.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have a samsung and 2 maxtor's not had any problems with them and my friend has a 6TB RAID array of samsungs that has been running strong for 6 months with no problems

dont really know much about writers i use a Lite-on thats always worked and a optorite thats just as good although a plextor would be nice
nod.gif

Reaction score
Yeah a SATA drive would be ideal. There doesnt seem to be much difference between them, they all seem to have the same specs and price. Its just down to which company has a better reputation i guess.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Looks good - personally I'd have gone for the NEC DVD/RW ;)

Ask a Question