building my first pc and in need of advice pls!

Reaction score
Hi, im looking at building my first pc and have put togther this spec.

My main concern is that ive matched the motherboard with the cpu , graphics cards and right ram etc.....ie are they good matches for one another. Generally wld like to know opinions on this spec.....good value, power etc. I don't know the in's and outs of some of the main board specs and g card etc.....im pretty set on the processor type. As long as they work with the processor well , ill be happy.(i dont mind paying a bit more now and gettiing quad core for future growth and this power saving newer version seems good). The graphics card im not sure about cos a gs around the same price was sold out....any thoughts on this card in the spec are of interest. I will be gaming and doing a lot of graphics work(multtasking with adobe etc) on this machine.Havnet found a sound card yet. Dont need anything too flash. I normally plug a mediocre stereo system into sound card and use that.

Thanks in advance

HDrive:Samsung 500GB HD501LJ Spinpoint T, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Hard Disk Drive
£64.09 X 1 £64.09

Graphics:XFX PV-T80G-GHD9 Geforce 8800GTS XXX Edition, 320MB GDDR3, PCI Express, 580/1800mhz, Dual DVI, TV OUT Graphics Card
£202.66 X 1 £202.66

M'board: Asus P5N32 SLI Premium WIFI Socket 775 1066FSB DUAL DDR2 PCI-E SATA2 DUAL GLAN USB2.0 Motherboard
£77.60 X 1 £77.60

Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping CPU - oem
£149.08 X 1 £149.08

RAM:patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 800Mhz 5-5-5-12 Extreme Performance Memory
£42.48 X 2 £84.98

Case: Antec Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case- no PSU
£68.25 X 1 £68.25

PSU:Ezcool 700W Infinity ATX Powersupply SLI Ready, Dual 12V Rails
£40.89 X 1 £40.89

dvdrom:
NEC AD-7170A-0B Multiwriter Black 18x DVD±RW

total: £667

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
only problem i can see is the PSU, never heard of that make so i'd reccomend you get a well known brand

a Corsair HX 620W would be a good choice, it does cost a fair bit more but it's worth it

Reaction score
thx

will look into psu question......do you think that apart from that its a god choice spec v price?

Reaction score
OK

Case ok
Motherboard ok
CPU ok
HDD ok
DVD ok
GFX ok however if you could stretch your budget another £80 you could get an OEM 8800GTX 768MB card which everyone is raving about at present
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130449

Memory seems ok but maybe a little slow? But for that price I guess its worth the cash :)

The main thing i noticed is your PSU. No dont go there!!
The PSU is one if not the main ingredient in a stable system. I'm sorry but £40 just isnt worth the hassle. Its output wont be substantial enough and coudl cause drops in voltage all over the board and other hardware. We are great beleivers here in the saying " you get what you pay for" and while my answer maybe a little rough on the edges you did ask for an opinion!?

I had a quick look around and found this

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/34343...-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-120mm-Fan/Product.html

or go have a look at these here and of course browse others at play as their postage is free

http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Power-Supplies/subcat/Other-Manufacturers

Take into account some of the newer 8800 series cards have the 8pin connections and so you may need an adaptor 6pin - 8pin.

Also make sure you measurements of the card do not exceed the length of your new case. They can be very long nearly and sometimes over the lenth of a sheet of A4 paper

Good luck ;)

Reaction score
thxs

yes, psu has to be looked at and ill go more pricey on that score. As for the other stuff ,ill have to consider my budget. Ill be using/buying a 22inch widescreen samsung so the card has to be ok. Thx for the help and time to answer

Reaction score
Be careful mate these new cards take massive amounts of power (AMPS) from the rails

Try buy one that gives you dedicated power to the card and not from the regular rails that supply the motherboard and other hardware like Harddrives aswell. It will make such a difference especially if you decide and i'm sure you will sooner of later to put a couple more hard drives in the case aswell.

More memory usually means faster speeds which indicates a higher end card which need more power. Personally I would suggest nothing under 600w if you want to get a faster card. I have 7HDD's and two 6800GS cards in my system running an X2 4200 with 2gig and dvd rewriter im really stable on a Thermaltake 580w, but there is a world of difference between these cards and the one you want.

Of course there is such a thing as 'overkill' but why take the risk? I beleive 600w is about standard nowadays for homebuilt systems

Better be safe than sorry imho

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
andrejwout said:
and thatll still be ok even if i go up to 640 mb card? or no?

320Mb of extra memory will not make a great deal of difference so yes, imo that'll be ok.

Reaction score
Maybe, but i think we have just contradicted each other!

Check the specs of the card before you buy it!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I note what TripleXDread is saying and whilst it's true the more powerful the power supply you can afford the better things will be, there is such a thing as overkill.

All the PSU's I've listed are around the 500W mark and for all the components listed will be fine.

I did point out that they would only be fine as long as you didn't add a significant number of extra components as 500w for your system is actually pretty much on the limit.

If you want to future-proof, spend more money. All the PSU's I recommended cost around £70.00, a more powerful PSU is going to cost between £90.00 - £110.00.

Your call :)

One thing is certain though, to skimp on the PSU is a false economy as every other single component in your system depends upon it.

Reaction score
gotcha............will stick between 500 and 600 , sounds like itll do, cos i wont add more harddrives as i have a large usb as back up and thats only connected at times to keep it out of harms way...........so all in all the average what you aoll saying makes sense to me. Thank god i came on here though, cos i might have gone ahead with a crapper psu and been shafted later. I really am not much kop with hardware intricacies and so its all good to learn

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The PSU's that Flopp's has listed are fine for that system with a 60 watt overhead, if I was pushed I would go for the Tagan everytime....

Reaction score
on a slightly diff note...if im gonna use a samsung 22 inch at 1680 x 1050 (max) do i NEED to get SLI on the mobo or is it not worth bothering with?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
sli is only for if you want to use two identical video cards working in tandem with each other.

sli is expensive for the somewhat negligible advantages gained.

so, in answer to your question, unless you have money to burn, 'it's not worth bothering with'

Disclaimer: 'In My Opinion' :)

Reaction score
hehe im ticking and crossing more boxes as i go:)..........been magic advice from all, mucho happy and relieved.........though my orig spec wasnt too way off mark..so a bit of tweaking a
nd itll kick arse

Ask a Question