Which CPU to buy at the moment??

Reaction score
I’m building a new rig for mainly gaming (already posted on forum regards components) and I was wondering what the best CPU to buy is at the moments?

I know there are many different opinions on the subject, just wondered if I could have some ideas?

My rig will consist of;

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition

Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45

Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB

Swiftech H2O-220 Compact Watercooling Kit

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 650W ATX2.2 Modular

Cosmos S case

Haven’t decided on Graphics Card yet?? (Don’t know which to wait for)

I was going to buy the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.66GHz 12MB-cache, but im not sure now? I plan to overclock, but not to any great lengths.

Any help with this much appreciated

Reaction score
Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 >

Excellent Chip, this is definitely from the dark side unlimited power...clocked to 3.6ghz with no complaints.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A good choice of CPU but unless you're going to be doing a lot of multi-tasking do you really need a quad core chip?

Just a thought, although it is a reasonable price atm.

And as itsme said, most are good for overclocking.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Agreed - the Q9450 is an excellent chip - you won't be disappointed :)

Reaction score
Isn't the Q9450 a bit costly. I saw somewhere (don't know where) that the Q6600 can be clocked high enough to give you a cheapish solution.

Just thinking out aloud so don't beat me up too much with the techy spec's. Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Q9450 = £212.00

Q6600 = £188.00 (Edit - this is the Pro version price, see post below)

So, another £24.00. (£82.00, actually, if standard Q6600 is chosen, so GMawston has a valid point {FBS Edit})

You pays your money and you takes your choice :)

And not all 6600's are good overclockers, my dual core 6600 - generally reckoned to be one of the best chips for overclocking - wouldn't go past 2.6Ghz without problems, although a lot depends on having good quality memory.

I have the Corsair PC6400C4, 4 x 1Gb sticks - which I thought was reasonable, but it would seem not. Either that or I was just unlucky with my 6600.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Where are you getting that Q6600 from Flops? - should be around £125 these days at most places.

I have all my Q6600's running at 3.42GHz, and could go higher but I have erred on the side of stability rather than flat out - but Flops is right alot depends on the chip you end up with - not every chip is the same.

The Q6600 is one of those chips that comes around every now and then and becomes a classic, however I would still try to go for the Q9450 if you can afford it, as its faster clock for clock, uses less power, runs cooler and should clock well.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
That's yet another of their debatable 'guaranteed to run above' chips Flops - the original Q6600 G0 is on offer at OCUK for £125
nod.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep, it is...........and how OCUK can 'guarantee' an overclocking chip is beyond me, how do they select them for a start? - do they open up every box and test them all first? - of course they don't they are just ones out of the same batch that you can return if it doesn't clock to the guaranteed level.....and I bet they then argue that your mobo/ram/cooling etc isn't good enough and its not the chip anyway :rolleyes:

Unless you are really, really unlucky all those Q6600's should at least do 3-3.2GHz - its a total rip-off paying more for a 'guarantee'
nod.gif

Ask a Question