Physical data dump

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

This morning i got 4 phone calls from people whom i had built a PC for, all 4 PC's are different but all use Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

The problem seems to be that when they turn them on they get a blue screen that says there is a problem and a physical data dump is in progress, it then counts up to 100%.

PC1 C2D 8400
Asus P5N-D
2GB Corsair xms2 6400
8800GTX

PC2 C2Q Q6600
Asus P5N-E Sli
3GB Geil Black Dragon 6400
9600GT Sonic

PC3 AMD Phenom 9850
MSI K9A2
2GB OCZ gold 6400
2 x ATI 3870

PC4 AMD Athlon x2 6000+
Gigabyte M57 Sli
3GB OCZ Gold 6400
2 x 9600GT Sonic

They all have a Seagate 250GB HDD and a 750GB HDD and again all use Vista HP 32bit.

Could it be an update which is causing the problem? As 2 of the 4 say they ran windows update last night.

PC4 has an additional problem in that "windows search indexer" keeps closing itself and "data execution prevention" keeps overiding me and closing things before they can open.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well PC4 is truly knackered, the Services application has failed and won't let me start anything, the DEP is stopping processes from running also, this is similar to what happened to my mates laptop that i posted about before.

Have reinstalled vista and all is well for now.

PC1 seems like a hardware error, he has finally admitted to going over the safe limits i gave him for overclocking his graphics card.

Have removed 8800GTX and replaced it, reinstalled drivers is working fine.

I thought they had all happened at the same time which is what confused me, but it just seems that all decided to phone me today.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
PC3 accepted a Vista repair so is happily working.

PC2 does not seem to want any help at all, it will post, but when it tries to boot windows it crashes i get the physical dump screen and it goes into a loop of restarting and crashing.

It will not recognise the Vista disk or boot from it.

Have ran out of options.

Have installed Vista on a replacement hard drive and am going to try that tomorrow along with new RAM, DVD & graphics.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed.

Still i managed to get out of work early but have spent about 7 hours today trying to fix PC's, not alot of fun really.

Reaction score
You could try removing the hard drive and reformatting it as if it were an external USB HDD, wipe everything off it, then return it to the PC and try installing Vista that way..

Ask a Question