Reefys New Computer Build

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in the process of building a new computer at the moment, just been looking around at what parts to get and this is what i've come up with. I just want to know if I should change something, or anyone dislikes a component because of problems I might have with it/them.

Note: I would like to go PCI-Express but I have an AGP 6800GT that I love, so please dont mention PCI-E ;). Also im not going S-Ata either.

Processor: AMD 64 3700+ "San Diego" (939 pin)
Motherboard: Abit AV8 3rd Eye (socket 939)
Memory: 1 Gig (2x512) corsair value PC3200 cas 2.5
Hard Drive: 200gig Seagate Barracuda (ATA)
Case: Coolermaster Centurion

I'm going to use my current PSU (Tagan 480w), optical drives, graphics card and sound card.

Altogether its going to cost around £550 includin p&p.

Reaction score
I think those are not bad choices. I looked at the 3rd eye board because I like the idea of a desktop digital display with all the info on it, but TBH I think the novelty will wear off. Beware, the speed of the mobo is a MAJOR factor in your system; I would look at ASUS, MSI and DFI because their boards really do fly.

It take your point on the PCI-E, and you will get some decent AGP boards, although they just won't be as future-proof as the Express boards.

I got the corsair memory and it seems fine. Great value for money, and I don't think there's any performance difference unless you start to push the system - which you won't have to with a 3700+ CPU.

Only thing I would say is, you don't want to go SATA, but any decent board will support both EIDE *and* SATA, and I think you will see a big difference with a SATA drive once the price comes down.

Think about it though - put the 6800 on ebay, get £50 for it, offset that against a PCI-Ex 6800? Sorry, had to mention it.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd get an ASUS A8V deluxe instead of the abit board its in my opinion a better board, it is AGP so you can keep your graphics card, everything else looks good to me

Reaction score
I think you should flog your current system in its entirity, and start from scratch

PCI-E Graphics
S-ATA Storage

and its more fun to do that :)

I have the pleasure of building a system on Tuesday that uses the Abit AN8 Fata1ity Ultra board...drools... with an X800XL, Akasa Eclipse 62 and Akasa ATX2.0 PSU.

Should be good

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
It take your point on the PCI-E, and you will get some decent AGP boards,
Think about it though - put the 6800 on ebay, get £50 for it, offset that against a PCI-Ex 6800? Sorry, had to mention it.

A 6800GT for £50 ?!?! You must be bonkers, I wouldnt take less than £180 for it.

I dont want to go with s-ata because I dont have a floppy drive and I dont want one to be honest ;).

If anyones intrested in me 6800GT i'll do it ya for £180 delivered. Its got the copper Artic Cooling vga silencer fitted. Its all boxed with all the software that come with it, and less than 6 months old :blush:.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I havent seen an X800XL for £180 yet, but I think there round the £210 mark, a good card but not as good as the 6800GT.

Reaction score
Fair dos, but you know what ebay's like. Used kit often goes for pennies cos you could be getting a steal, or something that's gonna go pop inside a week.

BTW - what's the SATA got to do with not having a floppy drive?

Reaction score
I just ordered an X800XL for a customers system - £189 inc VAT

You would have trouble selling a used 6800GT for £180...

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
Fair dos, but you know what ebay's like. Used kit often goes for pennies cos you could be getting a steal, or something that's gonna go pop inside a week.

BTW - what's the SATA got to do with not having a floppy drive?

I was told you have to install the s-ata drivers via floppy disc drive else the hd isnt recognised. Have I heard wrong?

Reaction score
I don't think that's the case. According to the ASUS literature with my Mobo, SATA drive support is fully integrated into the BIOS. You don't have to install any IDE drives and can boot straight from the SATA. In any case, you can boot from the XP CDROM and install custom drivers. I will go into the BIOS and check it out next time I boot up and double check!

Reaction score
Also note, the last MSI board I installed like 2 months ago had SATA drives--- And I installed them off the included CD. SO, I would assume any decent mother board would come with the same software. (though I cheated, I hooked up an old 6GB IDE drive to start, then removed when it boot from SATA)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well most me stuff come today:

AMD64 3700+ "San Diego"
Asus A8V Delux
200Gig S-Ata Seagate Barracuda
1gig Corsair value
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 + Artic Silver 5

Just waiting on the case now (went with a coolermaster "centurion") and a couple case fans (2x Vantec Stealths 92mm).

Might go for another gig of corsair aswell, ill see how good it is 1st though ;).

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
im pretty sure it will go like doggie do off a shovel :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think that will be a pretty fast system. I thought abt 2GB RAM as well, esp as the Corsair VP is such good value - but every time I check the physical RAM usage, it's never anywhere near 75%, and the system runs well.

The SATA Seagate will fly compared to the IDE. But defo do the separate partition for the page file - each time I do a defrag check on the page file, it's 100% contiguous, and I think that speeds up Windows alot.

You will get a long way with a well-tuned 3700+ system before you even need to overclock anything. Unless you just want to do it for the fun of course....

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Im not overclocking a single part of this bad boy im afraid, I think the components are good enough to do the job at stock speeds.

Me case fans come today, but no case yet, I hope it will come tomorrow so I can get the build going saturday :).

Heres the case I went with, its a "Cooler Master Centurion". I've always like the bare aluminium look, whether its the polished or brushed look.

I194238.jpg

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i like coolermaster, i like the wave cases myself :D

Ask a Question