ordering this?

Reaction score
lo all, i am slightly new here, well i say slightly - i am new...

any who0, I am new to the world of building my own pc, but i have been reading up now for around three months or so, so i am thinking why not have a bash at it.

this is my atempt at a good thing, please tell me if i am forgetting any thing or got somthing wrong.. i dont want to be ordering the wrong things now do i ;-) so if you have the time to read it i would be greatful.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail £211.44
Abit AX8 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard - £76.32
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 £117.44

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 200GB 6B200MO SATA 8MB Cache - OEM £72.79
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 200GB 6B200MO SATA 8MB Cache - OEM £72.79
* for raid0 * i think?!*

Western Digital Secure Connect Serial ATA Cable £5.82
Western Digital Secure Connect Serial ATA Cable £5.82

NEC ND3500 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) £45.47

OcUK Value Floppy Drive - Black £7.64

Akasa Eclipse-62 Aluminum Case £88.07
Akasa Window Side Panel for Eclipse 62 Case £11.69

Tagan TG420-U01 420W ATX2.0 Silent PSU £52.82

Akasa AK174CB-4BLB 120mm Blue LED fan £9.95
Akasa AK174CB-4BLB 120mm Blue LED fan £9.95

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB DDR3, PCI-E, DVI, TV Out Retail £206.74

Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard (Black) £7.52
Logitech MX510 Performance Optical Mouse - Retail £31.87

Sony SDM-HS75P X-black 17" LCD Monitor - Black £304.27

Now if my maths is correct - which i am doubting it iam looking at around £1338.41
all will be orderd from ocUK apart from the g-card wich is from microdirect.co.uk.

hopfully this is all anough to make a pc work but then again what do i know.
any guild lines would be nice thanks.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forums!
well for one there is almost no use for a Floppy drive.
instead of getting a MX510 mouse, go for a Razer Diamondback mouse (for gaming) or a MX1000 (good for everything)
thats what i think, but otherwise everything looks really good :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
That spec does look very nice, but seems pricey, on the other had if you have the dough its all up to you.

If your buying the motherboard in the retail box, it should come with S-ATA cables, so you can knock them off ya list ;).

I dont see why it wont work. And the X800XL is an extremely good card!

Reaction score
Alf said:
Welcome to the Forums!
instead of getting a MX510 mouse, go for a Razer Diamondback mouse (for gaming) or a MX1000 (good for everything)
thats what i think, but otherwise everything looks really good :)

really?! so i should be able to put this pc together? i am guessing its like complex lego? :p
and i will look at the other mice, also is it easy to add/install cold cathodes and control units?

Reaction score
No, quite the other way round. I could never really make anything decent out of lego, but i can put together a computer with my eyes closed (Ok, maybe a slight exageration...)

Get a better graphics card!! Get the XT or XT PE version of the X800 - not the XL!! or even an X850XTPE if you want the best on the market - or maybe a Nvidia 6800Ultra. Not the X800XL on a system like that...

Reaction score
the thing about graphics cards is, i dont know whats what - from which brand to brand, any hints?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I think the spec looks excellent, but i too think its a little pricey.
It sometimes pays to shop around a little for that many components.
As well as ocuk, you could try www.scan.co.uk and/or www.aria.co.uk - I have used all of them and find them all very good with good prices. Most of the time i use aria. :)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
you appear to be ordering 400GB of HDD storage - do you really need all that space?
If not, and you are wnating to RAID0, then I would suggest you getting a pair of WD Raptors (10,000rpm - fastest on market), although they are only available in smaller capacities of 36GB and 74GB.
They're super fast!!! ;)

Reaction score
Cache-man said:
you appear to be ordering 400GB of HDD storage - do you really need all that space?
If not, and you are wnating to RAID0, then I would suggest you getting a pair of WD Raptors (10,000rpm - fastest on market), although they are only available in smaller capacities of 36GB and 74GB.
They're super fast!!! ;)

hmm they do seem expensive i have to say, i might go with the 36.7 gb drives as they are only a few pounds more, still that seems a large drop in mem as i have a 60gig drive now and its packet to the brim.

also my reson for the cables is that it gives me schpeal on this...

Recommended: Western Digital's Serial ATA cable with SecureConnect™. provides a 500 percent stronger cable-to-drive connection than first-generation SATA hard drives and cables; for use with Western Digital SATA drives only.

Reaction score
Alf said:
Welcome to the Forums!
:)

sorry alf got to disagree here

i do think a floppy drive is essential
it always comes in need!

Reaction score
also lol, another queston, is it illigal to use my windows that i am using on my comp now on my new pc with the the old cerial if i throw my pc away that i am using now?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Kebra said:
also lol, another queston, is it illigal to use my windows that i am using on my comp now on my new pc with the the old cerial if i throw my pc away that i am using now?

No its not, but you will have to phone Microsoft to re-activate it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My thoughts:

Don't buy from Microdirect, you can't trust them. You have been warned.

A floppy drive costs peanuts, you will probably have a use for it at some time - buy one.

2 x 200Gb in a RAID 0 is a little over the top.

Perhaps consider 2 x 36GB Raptors for main operating system (it will fly) and a 250Gb disk for storage. Chancing 400Gb to a RAID 0 system is flirting with disaster, in my opinion, one disk goes - bang! You've lost everything.

And that still gives you 320Gb of space. A little more expensive but faster and more secure.

As for the video card, that's a good choice but if your budget allows it, go for something along the lines Chris has suggested. Personally I think an Nvidia 6800GT would suit you fine, but that's just me ;)

Other than that - great :) Does the Abit board have a RAID controller on it?

If you're really feeling flush, also consider the DFI LAN Party NF4 board, it's a cracker. But expensive.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You mean the Gigabyte card? Yes, it's as good as any, a good card.

The Leadtek's only £200.00, that's also OK, in my opinion.

Make sure you take in the notes about the power supply requirements for one of those cards, on the last line of text on the card descriptions.

Reaction score
i am pritty sure it will work with the psu i have, just pricing it all up again, i think i have gone past 1.5k now :( not good.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Over £1K5? Bugger. You could save money on the Monitor, consider Iiyama, just make sure it has a DVI input and the response time is at at least 12ms.

If the Abit board has a RAID controller, use that instead of the DFI board. Combined, that will save you about £100.00.

But, ya know, you get what you pay for and we just trying to recommend the best.

By the way, those Western Digital locking SATA cables are a really good idea, I have one. The SATA connectors are easily damaged and those cables give it protection.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
psd99 said:
sorry alf got to disagree here

i do think a floppy drive is essential
it always comes in need!
Really? ever since i got my USB drive ive never needed a Floppy or a drive for that matter.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
No, quite the other way round. I could never really make anything decent out of lego, but i can put together a computer with my eyes closed (Ok, maybe a slight exageration...)

Get a better graphics card!! Get the XT or XT PE version of the X800 - not the XL!! or even an X850XTPE if you want the best on the market - or maybe a Nvidia 6800Ultra. Not the X800XL on a system like that...

You obviously dont know the power of an X800XL then, its a direct rival of the 6800GT at a much more resonable price.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041215/ati-05.html

Its the best bang for ya buck since the 9800Pro.

Ask a Question