New PC...

Reaction score
Hello. I am about to buy a new pc, and would love to get opnions...

Im a little confused as to what Motherboard i should invest it. This is what I got so far:

AMD Athlon64 3500 Venice Retail £158.95 1
AKASA 859 AMD64/FX55 all copper £22.49 1
Alpine EZ-Cool MIDI Case Silv 400W £41.00 1
200G Maxtor DMax+10 SATA150/7200/8M £58.50 2
Kingston 1GB Kit (512x2) PC3200 £60.75 2
Sapphire Radeon X850XT 256MB PCI-E £259.00 1
16X Sony DVD Silver £16.00 1
Sony DWQ28A 16x DVDRW Silver £28.95 1
Levicom 550W ATX V2.0 PSU £44.95 1
Netgear WG311T Wireless PCI Adapter £41.95 1
Microsoft Windows XP Pro OEM £77.95 1

Hmm.. do you have any does and do nots! Its a lot of money. want it to be right.

Buying through Aria Custom Build,

Motherboards:
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Category=282&SubCat=&Name=&Page=1&NumberPerPage=100&SortBy=

any comments on all components, would be very helpful!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
system looks good, theres a one major thing that i dont like and thats the PSU make, change it to a Tagan, Antec or Enermax there expensive but its something that is important you get right, for a motherboard i'd recommend the Asus A8N-SLI or a DFI Lanparty series board

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
system looks good, theres a one major thing that i dont like and thats the PSU make, change it to a Tagan, Antec or Enermax there expensive but its something that is important you get right, for a motherboard i'd recommend the Asus A8N-SLI or a DFI Lanparty series board

Thanks for the speedy response... I have my cursor hovering of the BUY button and this really helps! :D

better? http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=16569&custom=1

When i see SLI.. does this mean I will have to have SLI dual graphics card thingys..

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the SLI means it can have up to 2 identical graphics cards working together, you can have just one no problem, the Enermax PSU is fine slightly overkill wattage wise maybe something in the 500W range would be better

also are you putting this together yourself or are aria building it for you ?

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
thats better, it is the newer version of the one i have and it is excellent

Reaction score
hehe ok.. motherboards.

Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi 5+ £84.95 £99.82

Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi 5+ £91.95 £108.04

Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi 4 £109.95 £129.19

Asus A8V Deluxe Out £58.95 £69.27

Best...?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the A8V deluxe is an AGP board so is no use unless you change to an AGP graphics card which isn't really worth doing, out of the other three theres not much between them, the A8N-SLI premium doesn't seem worth it, out of the other two, the difference between the deluxe and the normal A8N-SLI is you get more accessories and more hard drive connectors with the deluxe so its up to you, i'd go for the A8N-SLI Deluxe because it comes with all of the cables and accessories you could ever need and has four more SATA connectors

one thing i would check is that you CPU is definately a socket 939

Last edited:
Reaction score
just read ypur post.. but i hope you know you cant have the ati gfx card in your SLi mobo if you got one..

you will have to get a nvidia... hope you knew :) and its not to late... lol

i did read you may be able to use ati crossfire in a SLi mobo ... but they are in talks with nvida or sumin like that lol

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
just read ypur post.. but i hope you know you cant have the ati gfx card in your SLi mobo if you got one..

Someone please tell me hes jokeing right? I've accepted finance and they have took a DEPOSIT!!!

Me_2001 said:
the SLI means it can have up to 2 identical graphics cards working together, you can have just one no problem

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you can have ATI graphics cards, but only one at a time, where as you can have 2 nvidia cards together

G~MAN said:

i did read you may be able to use ati crossfire in a SLi mobo ... but they are in talks with nvida or sumin like that lol

G~man, he only wants one ATI card so its ok

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i know what you mean, i had to double check the spec just to make sure i hadn't missed anything

Reaction score
sorry if i got you worried!!! :blush: lol

i was just saying that if you get a Sli mobo you cant have TWO ati cards in there...

why get a SLi mobo if you arnt going SLi ? surely you would have got a crossfire one... the express200 or somehting like that

Reaction score
Grr... not good for my blood pressure!

At the time of ordering Crossfire was not out (not sure if its out yet on Aria)

and i've read that two graphics cards aren't worth it yet.. just go for a top notch new one.. i.e the X850xt.

:mad:

Reaction score
:D lol SORRY :) ...

i think i read ... that maybe crossfire will be available on SLi motherboards... but they are in talks with Nvidia or something... and also u always have the choice of going SLi if need be :) ... not that much will come close to your X850 for some time :p

Reaction score
G-man, you are the source on video cards, I have to agree, I do think crossfire will be available on SLI boars, though nvidia will be preferred for optimal performance.

Though, I would recomend matching nVidia to nVidia....being an SLI Board and all.

Reaction score
May I remind you again.

I have paid for it, a deposit has been taken. nice to see the advice comeing after i need it.

Don't meen to sound bitchy.. i appricate the commnts, about a week late ;)

Reaction score
Sorry, was first time I saw your post. :(

The Random One said:
May I remind you again.

I have paid for it, a deposit has been taken. nice to see the advice comeing after i need it.

Don't meen to sound bitchy.. i appricate the commnts, about a week late ;)

Sorry, man, I just post and reply as I see them. I just made a post about an upgrade and will wait for feedback befoe I go anywhere. But like we said, your not at a loss....I don't think their is that major of a difference between the nVidia Ultra and the SLI, as a matter of fact the SLI board was probably I little bit more, so you have a feature to use later. Plus like me and G-man have been debating for weeks now. By the time any of us get around to getting the second card, they will be half the proce they are now, and their is rumor about updates being able to handle mismatched cards as well, so who knows.....

Also..... I don't know who your ordered from, but is it really that hard to exchange???? I don't see a need to but, the place I order from usually charges a stocking fee(10% of item cost) and then to ship it back out.