Multiple Fax Devices and Windows Server 2003

Gary Williams

I have set up a Windows 2003 server system with 3 identical fax cards, the
US Robotics V.92 PCI internal fax cards. The fax service only seems to see
one device, and worse yet, the one that it sees seems to be unpredictable.
We want to have multiple fax lines so that many faxes can be sent out at one
time. Everything I have read seems to indicate we should be able to do
this, so what it the trick to getting the fax service to recognize all three
devices? By the way, I can delete the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fax\Devices
key, then restart the fax service, and all three modems show up in there.
Is there something I am missing, or is this a bug? Is there anything I can
do in the registry to work around this, perhaps renaming the GUID under the
Permanent LineID key?

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Gary,

What is the model number of the fax cards?

Thanks,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "Gary Williams" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Multiple Fax Devices and Windows Server 2003
'--'Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:44:07 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.fax
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Gary Williams

As stated below, they are all US Robotics V.92 PCI Internal fax modems,
purchased from Fry's Electronics. The hardware ID in Windows for these is
PCI\VEN16FC&DEV_2F00&SUBSYS_010A16FC&REV_01

Gary Williams

I'm sorry, I clicked on the Query Modem in the Diagnostics property page for
the modem, and it claims the product ID is a 5660, which maskes it a
USR5660A according to the US Robotics support site. The current driver on
the system is dated 2-20-2003, I am downloading and will try the latest Win
2K/XP driver dated 6-9-2003.

Bruce R

I had the same problem on W2K advanced server. When I
sent both modems for both send AND recieve it started
faxing from both devices. With recieve set to no it
would choose only one modem and then also freeze it.

I have other problems which I'l post on another thread.
Bruce R

Raghavendra R [MSFT]

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225384 - you may get some
information. Please note that this article is not applicable for Windows
Server 2003, but I think information there might give you some clues. If you
are desperate about using multiple fax modems, you can try using modems of
different make (different manufacturer).

--
Raghavendra R
purposes only.