FAX advice, please - programmes and apps.

Reaction score
Being partially deaf, I am finding it more difficult to use the phone and I am not that good with text phones. One of my Deaf friends suggested FAX.

Can anyone recommend any good fax programmes or apps that can be linked to my printer, please?

TIA

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi @Molyfar

Do you have an old style phone/modem connected to your PC? Not broadband/fibre/wireless - but one of the one where a phone cable could be used to provide very slow dial-up internet? You'd need one of those first of all. Most modern versions of Windows also already come with fax software build in, if you type "fax" in to the start menu you'll see "Windows Fax and Scan" popup in Windows 10 - I use it very rarely and it does the job.

Some mid-range printers have a phone connection built in and will function as a fax machine once the phone line is plugged in.

There are some 3rd party services that will let you send and receive faxes online, but that can get expensive.

Perhaps you have a specific reason to use Fax over other technologies, but I would strongly suggest that e-mail is often easier, better and free :). Most people have an e-mail address, but it's unusual for many individuals or companies to have a fax machine these days (although there are still plenty around). Is there anything that prevents you using e-mail to contact someone and fax is the only option? If so, it may be a good time to see if you can convince them to get a tablet with e-mail access :D.

Reaction score
Hi @Molyfar

Do you have an old style phone/modem connected to your PC? Not broadband/fibre/wireless - but one of the one where a phone cable could be used to provide very slow dial-up internet? You'd need one of those first of all. Most modern versions of Windows also already come with fax software build in, if you type "fax" in to the start menu you'll see "Windows Fax and Scan" popup in Windows 10 - I use it very rarely and it does the job.

Some mid-range printers have a phone connection built in and will function as a fax machine once the phone line is plugged in.

There are some 3rd party services that will let you send and receive faxes online, but that can get expensive.

Perhaps you have a specific reason to use Fax over other technologies, but I would strongly suggest that e-mail is often easier, better and free :). Most people have an e-mail address, but it's unusual for many individuals or companies to have a fax machine these days (although there are still plenty around). Is there anything that prevents you using e-mail to contact someone and fax is the only option? If so, it may be a good time to see if you can convince them to get a tablet with e-mail access :D.

Thanks for the excellent advice I will go with a text message and e-mail as the best option.

Ask a Question